Mountain Project Logo

Owen's River Gorge - protected from North wind?

Original Post
Rob Gordon · · Hollywood, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 115

looks like it could be a windy misery on Sunday. I know Owen's runs North to South, but are there any walls/areas that are protected from the North wind? What about other spots in the area? Sport or bouldering as no gear in the group. Thanks.

Jeff Scheuerell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 2,298

I have never been shutdown as far as being able to climb in the Gorge. Get shut down on climbs all the time though. There are a lot of corners to escape whatever direction the wind is coming from. That being said I have had a few partners that have been miserable while I am fine.

Tom Helvie · · Bishop, CA · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 1,670

Look out for falling rocks if it gets really windy.

Greg Barnes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,065

Sunday is the middle of a winter storm, even Owens gets dumped on sometimes.

Even if the rain holds off, rocks really do come down when it's windy. I got full on nailed on the head there once by a good sized rock when it was really windy. That was while replacing an anchor on Warning Signs wall - luckily I had a helmet on!

Here's the detailed forecast:

Saturday: Rain likely, mainly after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 64. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph becoming south in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Saturday Night: Rain. Low around 38. Breezy, with a south wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Sunday: Rain, mainly before 4pm. High near 49. South wind around 15 mph becoming west in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Sunday Night: A chance of rain and snow before 10pm, then a chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

From the point forecast here:

forecast.weather.gov/MapCli…

You could head to Alabama Hills, the chance of rain is still 80%, but you can park next to the cliffs and jump in and out of the car. There's actually some really fun steep stuff there too, it's not all low angle crimps! It'll be windy (and miserable for some folks) of course, but it could still be fun!

If it looks like the rain will hold off and you really want to head to Owens, Banana Belt is probably the best in a north wind.

Rob Gordon · · Hollywood, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 115

Thanks for the beta about falling rocks. We were thinking Alabama Hills today but that might be a good plan. For those of us in the group that can stomach it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Owen's River Gorge - protected from North wind?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started