Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

That which shall not be talked about in SoCal.

Original Post
Owen David · · Los Angeles, Ca · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 45

What can't be talked about on Mountain Project concerning Joshua Tree? Bolting is ok.

Rob T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 10

Wonder if it's related to my repeated questions. If you have no official policy on names, seemingly arbitrary removal opens you to charges of bias and worse.

In that case it could all be in your hands Owen! You just need to come up with a cogent policy for what counts as an offensive name and when it should be removed.

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,441

As I stated, your new thread was a rehash of a topic covered by 20 pages of discussion covered just days ago. Your thread, partly due to your own responses, was full of nasty personal attacks and name-calling.

And also as I stated, there are legitimate issues to discuss about route names, but that thread was not doing that.

So, "What can't be talked about?" The answer is nothing, as long as you stick with Rule #1.

    · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 205

If MP chooses to allow bigotry, I'll just delete my contributions and clean my hands of it.

Wonder if REI would approve?

Nick Wilder wrote:As I stated, your new thread was a rehash of a topic covered by 20 pages of discussion covered just days ago. Your thread, partly due to your own responses, was full of nasty personal attacks and name-calling. And also as I stated, there are legitimate issues to discuss about route names, but that thread was not doing that. So, "What can't be talked about?" The answer is nothing, as long as you stick with Rule #1.
Rule #1, Don't be a jerk.

I didn't personally attack anyone. You seem to single me out. I brought up a historic route name issue.
Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,441

MP is a guide. We don't name the routes. We list the climbs named by others and added to the site by users.

I would suggest that, if a route needs to be renamed, the FA party, or at least the local community, make that decision. Of course we can update MP to reflect any name changes.

Nick Wilder wrote:MP is a guide. We don't name the routes. We list the climbs named by others and added to the site by users. I would suggest that, if a route needs to be renamed, the FA party, or at least the local community, make that decision. Of course we can update MP to reflect any name changes.
Well, that's exactly what we just did in the thread, Limp Wristed Faggot. The thread brought to your attention the FA's actual original route name. Not bad for a days work. Please restore the conversation even if locked. Seems suspicious that you would hide a historic post.

Many will want to know the back story of the FA and you deleted his post.

"The "Limp Wristed Faggot" thread did not raise new issues and was mostly an excuse to bash each other personally. It has been deleted."

Nick Wilder

Thank you for all the work you do on this site.

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Nick Wilder wrote: Of course we can update MP to reflect any name changes.
Or you can just apply the same standard to route names as you do to forum posts, but I guess that's too much to ask. You can set whatever rules you want, but stop pretending they aren't arbitrary.

FWIW, there were legitimate responses, not to mention the OP's history bit, in the thread.
matt c. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 155

I did not read the LWF thread, but I was surprised to see to see the NG thread locked. Owen can be sorta annoying and trollish (sorry owen), but his comments do bring about some really good discourse about historical perspective on route names. I thought the NG thread would have petered out at page two or so; I am glad it didn't.

Nick Wilder wrote:MP is a guide. We don't name the routes. We list the climbs named by others and added to the site by users. I would suggest that, if a route needs to be renamed, the FA party, or at least the local community, make that decision. Of course we can update MP to reflect any name changes.
Cool, guess you won't mind if I add my new route then.

It's called "REI Supports Homophobia" - 5.9
matt c. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 155
D B wrote: Cool, guess you won't mind if I add my new route then. It's called "REI Supports Homophobia" - 5.9
Oh, is this what the LWF thread turned into? I guess I see why things got locked/deleted.
Rob T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 10
D B wrote: Cool, guess you won't mind if I add my new route then. It's called "REI Supports Homophobia" - 5.9
Can't imagine they care that much, they've been carrying print guides w worse in them for years. I'd think selling offensive material is worse than giving it away on a platform that allows for dissent.
matt c. wrote:I did not read the LWF thread, but I was surprised to see to see the NG thread locked. Owen can be sorta annoying and trollish (sorry owen), but his comments do bring about some really good discourse about historical perspective on route names. I thought the NG thread would have petered out at page two or so; I am glad it didn't.
true buddy, true. I need to work on that. thanks
Ocalslay Onlyyay · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

#1 Rule of Diapertime is: don't talk about Diapertime

matt c. wrote: Oh, is this what the LWF thread turned into? I guess I see why things got locked/deleted.
I'm the FA, so I can name my route whatever I want and post it on MP.
Suka D. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 0

I climbed 3 out of the last four days. I had fun. I liked some of the route names. I didn't like others. I had fun. I climbed. Go have fun. Go climb.

Edit: I don't like REI supporting A holes, but a new 5.9 sounds great! Need beta!

Nick Wilder wrote:So, "What can't be talked about?" The answer is nothing, as long as you stick with Rule #1.
You deleted the last two threads about Limp Wristed Faggot. I just want you to be clear so you don't delete this one too. The difference in the last one you deleted seemed to be that it listed statistics of LBGT groups which related to the climbing name. I thought everyone on this thread was in favor of free speech.
Phil Lauffen · · Innsbruck, AT · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 2,740
D B wrote: I'm the FA, so I can name my route whatever I want and post it on MP.
Yes... and people will think you're an immature moron. Thats how the world works. The part that is annoying is that people seem to think MP is some kind of route name police.
Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 311
D B wrote: I'm the FA, so I can name my route whatever I want and post it on MP.
D B ..... Yes, go name any FA whatever you wish. That is the custom in our nation.
reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Phil Lauffen wrote: Yes... and people will think you're an immature moron. Thats how the world works.
But god forbid should people start a new thread to call such morons out...100 threads about what shoes to buy? That's more than OK.

Phil Lauffen wrote: The part that is annoying is that people seem to think MP is some kind of route name police.
Yes it is, but is it not hypocritical to police the forum but not the route names?
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Community Forum
Post a Reply to "That which shall not be talked about in SoCal."