Mountain Project Logo

RR campground availability

Original Post
Edubs · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0

Has anyone seen the BLM red rock campground recently? Is it packed?

I'm thinking of heading there this weekend but don't want to get shut down by lack of availability. I know it's crazy busy in March--is it crazy busy in Feb too?

matt c. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 155

Not sure about the camping but looks like rain tomorrow.

Edubs · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0

Yeah I wouldn't be up until Friday. Maybe climb Friday evening if the rock is dry. Otherwise wouldn't be climbing till Saturday.

matt c. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 155

Is that enough normally enough time for the rock to dry? I am debating going there or making other plans.

To answer your question, I was there two weeks ago and all the campsites were taken for the weekend. Although I did notice there were empty group sites.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
matt c. wrote:Is that enough normally enough time for the rock to dry?
Depends on how much rain, how cloudy, temps and amount of sun after the rain....
Things can be climbable in 8 hrs - or in 2 days.

From the Red Rock main MP page:

Holds rip off and climbs have been and will continue to be permanently damaged due to climbers not respecting this phenomenon. After a heavy storm the rock will remain wet, sometimes for several days. PLEASE DO NOT CLIMB IN RED ROCKS during or after rain. A good rule of thumb is that if the ground near your climb is at all damp (and not powdery dry sand), then do not climb. There are many alternatives (limestone, granite, basalt, and plastic) nearby.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "RR campground availability"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.