Movement or Earth Treks


Original Post
Sends McGee · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Anyone had memberships to both? I currently go to Movement, but have been to ET once and thought it was awesome. Unfortunately it's about 10 mins farther from my office and 20 mins farther from home and most of my friends go to Movement. Thoughts? Opinions??

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 50

Those are the 2 largest/most complete gyms in the state. I would definitely pick the more convenient of the 2.

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 200

I said go with the gym that has the highest yoga pants to total climbers ratio. Based on the average occupancy rate of ET and Movement, I'd say Movement Denver is the best choice.

Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 163

I have spent most of my climbing years, about 17 doing easy trad outside. I just started gym climbing several years ago so I don't have a lot of gym climbing experience to compare to other gyms but these places seem pretty cool to me.

I have been a member at both. I don't do yoga or any of the workout classes.

Movement has towels, ET has self programing electronic locks on their lockers.

Movement lead climbing requires a partner to take the test with, one fails both fail. ET lead test was performed with a staff member belaying. I have been at Movement 1 year and I do not have my lead cert because I don't have a partner there. I mostly boulder because I get the most climbing for my time that way.

Movement has a slightly higher wall.

At ET my 6 year old could do some of the easier adult climbs and do some of the V0 bounding and it has a separate kids area. Movement is not very kid friendly, reaches on all adult climbs are long for kids and there is no separate kids area. If you have kids, ET is the way to go.

I settled on Movement because it is half way between work and home.

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

Climbing at ET is better, bouldering in particular. If you're a member you get a nice little discount in their retail shop, including on shoes. Staff is very friendly.

Movement has better weight lifting equipment, if that matters to you at all. Their top ropes are much nicer too. You will have to wait for a lead rope on weeknights when it's super crowded (or bring your own). Parking sucks. Average age seems younger and average attitude ruder.

On balance I much prefer ET. I hope they open a second one.

JulianG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 5

Variety is good. If you only climb one or two times a week, get punch passes for both. No commitment:-)

I find Movement a better place to train and progress on rope climbs. Nice steep routes helps. Also, I find the routes at ET strange and the last time I was there the difference between 11c and 11d was HUGE almost a number grade. Maybe it was just me. Bouldering at ET is much better than Movement in Boulder.

Do you guys know any details about the new gym in Louisville? Height or steepness? I know it will be similar to ET same wall builder and layout.

John McNamee · · Littleton, CO · Joined Jul 2002 · Points: 845

Rick ... have you looked into the Denver Bouldering Club since you mainly just boulder?

My time is really limited so I go to the DBC. Great bang for the buck.

Chris G. · · Lakewood · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 60

We have been debating switching to ET. MC+F is so damn crowded in the evening. Like said above, MC+F doesn't have a kids zone so once they release the kids, it becomes even worse! The bouldering area becomes over run with them running around and running laps 3-4 kids at a time......Sure wish I started that young. Watch your landing zone because those suckers are sneaky and fast!

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 890

the kids thing at movement blows. they pretty much take over the bouldering area on tuesday and thursday evenings, which unfortunately coincides with rush hour. they just park themselves right in front of the problems and are pretty oblivious to other folks wanting to get a go. once i tried to go upstairs to the system board to escape them and some guy had a class full of 6 year old beginners - teaching them all about a system board. really weird....

JulianG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 5
Chris G. wrote:We have been debating switching to ET. MC+F is so damn crowded in the evening. Like said above, MC+F doesn't have a kids zone so once they release the kids, it becomes even worse! The bouldering area becomes over run with them running around and running laps 3-4 kids at a time......Sure wish I started that young. Watch your landing zone because those suckers are sneaky and fast!
Wait until you get to be 40 before complaining about young people :-) Are you guys talking about Movement Denver?
slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 890

i have climbed a lot at both. its both. i have almost cratered on so many munchkins.

Chris G. · · Lakewood · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 60
JulianG wrote: Wait until you get to be 40 before complaining about young people :-) Are you guys talking about Movement Denver?
hahah makes sense! and yes Movement Denver
Rich Farnham · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2002 · Points: 203
JulianG wrote:Do you guys know any details about the new gym in Louisville? Height or steepness? I know it will be similar to ET same wall builder and layout.
Here's their facebook page. If you go into "Photos" you will see a bunch of views of the wall design. If I remember right, the size is between the Denver and Boulder Movements in terms of climbing wall square footage, and the height was about the same as Denver (give or take a foot or two).

I think the wall designer is the same as Earth Treks, but it won't have that horribly abrasive texture that ET has.

As to the OP's question: I didn't really like ET, despite really wanting to. When it opened, it was the most convenient so I went there a lot. I don't like the terrain, and often found the route setting annoying. But plenty of people like it, so I guess it just isn't what I'm looking for. But Movement Denver is getting insane. I've had the same experience that Slim describes -- actually, at both Movements, the Spot, and ET -- guess that's just the way it is now.

End of rant. The sun is shining, and I'm climbing outdoors all weekend. Finally! Spring is coming!
Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 163
John McNamee wrote:Rick ... have you looked into the Denver Bouldering Club since you mainly just boulder? My time is really limited so I go to the DBC. Great bang for the buck.
I have been thinking about that place, I think I will head over there some day soon and get a day pass. I am trying to get my kids going and their prices for kids seem pretty reasonable as well. Thanks for the advice.

I forgot to mention above. Movement has a much softer bouldering mat. It is really nice to fall on.

Both have Bouldering Caves and both have several posters showing you how not to drop your partner with a gri-gri.
Magpie79 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0
Chris G. wrote: once they release the kids, it becomes even worse!
I first read, "once they release the kraken". Ha! Same thing.
Lauren Swigart · · GOLDEN, Co · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 0

Earth Treks all the way.

-WAY friendly staff that are cool as shit.
-I find the climbing area to be cleaner.
-ALWAYS lead ropes. Always. I flipped out when I went to Movement and had to top rope (WTF?)
-ET has real roofs. (raise it!)
-Also, little things like at Earth Treks you get one free guest pass every month, and you can use it on anyone. At Movement your free guest pass is ONLY good for someone who has never been there. And you can only get away with a couple fake names and aliases before you feel they might catch on. Sneaky sneaky sir...

-personal note: BF goes to Movement Denver, and I choose to stay loyal my the ET crew rather than switch gyms. Priorities.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 0
Lauren Swigart wrote:Earth Treks all the way. -WAY friendly staff that are cool as shit. -I find the climbing area to be cleaner. -ALWAYS lead ropes. Always. I flipped out when I went to Movement and had to top rope (WTF?) -ET has real roofs. (raise it!) -Also, little things like at Earth Treks you get one free guest pass every month, and you can use it on anyone. At Movement your free guest pass is ONLY good for someone who has never been there. And you can only get away with a couple fake names and aliases before you feel they might catch on. Sneaky sneaky sir... -personal note: BF goes to Movement Denver, and I choose to stay loyal my the ET crew rather than switch gyms. Priorities.
climbing friend,

yes, movement will try to shaft you hard.
Sends McGee · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Thanks, guys. I think I'm sold on the yoga pants ratio though!

JulianG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 5
Lauren Swigart wrote:Earth Treks all the way. -WAY friendly staff that are cool as shit. -I find the climbing area to be cleaner. -ALWAYS lead ropes. Always. I flipped out when I went to Movement and had to top rope (WTF?) -ET has real roofs. (raise it!) -Also, little things like at Earth Treks you get one free guest pass every month, and you can use it on anyone. At Movement your free guest pass is ONLY good for someone who has never been there. And you can only get away with a couple fake names and aliases before you feel they might catch on. Sneaky sneaky sir... -personal note: BF goes to Movement Denver, and I choose to stay loyal my the ET crew rather than switch gyms. Priorities.
Gym ropes are too stiff me. I use my old 70m cut in half, I like cushy falls. Movement in Denver will tell you that you need a minimum 40m rope but 35 is long enough.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply