Mountain Project Logo

La Sportiva G2 SM. Any input

Gree nezo · · Western Mass · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 350

I've found the sizing to be pretty spot on maybe a little roomy over my other sportiva boots in the same size. i def would not size down. even though they are super light its still a big boot and imho they climb well but like a big boot climbs. overall pretty comfy and the lacing system is awesome. Total lockdown of the heel unlike the batura. def overkill for me unless the temps are well below zero.

drewdogg2112 · · halifax, MA · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 20

Update.

I received my G2SM in the mail yesterday. Size 49. tried them on this morning and like a weirdo wore them to the gym to get on stairmill and treadmill with them and test them out (didn't want to mess them up outside so I can still return them in case they don't fit great).
I wore the same sock setup I would normally wear in the mountains. Thin sock liner, plastic bag for vapor barrier, medium thick smartwool sock over the bag.

Observations so far:
fit is pretty good. Seems pretty spot on for sizing. a 48 would def be too small for me (I normally wear size 14/15 hikers and running shoes). Heel has a tiny bit of movement and my toes are def at the max length. Not jammed up against the front of the boot but not a ton of extra room.
on the stairmill I didn't really notice much heel slip unless I really leaned forward and flexed onto my toes (similar to steep hiking with crampons) I also tried standing on a little tiny ledge putting as much pressure on the smallest amount of toe as possible to see how my heels felt in there. the boots did great. again a little bit of heel movement but maybe some inserts will relieve that.
on the treadmill I put it to an incline of 15 and 1.5mph while walking backwards to try and simulate hiking downhill. I did not notice any significant discomfort from my toes jamming into the front of the boot.

normal walking around and on treadmill these boots feel great. super light, not too clunky (for a big mountain boot with stiff soles).
I did notice a little bit of a pressure point on my right foot at the joint where my foot and shin come together when stepping high on the stairmill. Possibly from the boa coil. Ill have to play around a little with the inner boot and everything to make sure I keep the tension distributed evenly all around.

Played with both boa coils to see how it feels with tighter, looser tension on either coil. Very nice to be able to fine tune a bit without having to tie/ untie so much.

That being said... I def do worry about the what if factor when it comes to boa coil. I have had boa system on all of my snowboarding boots. My last pair of snowboarding boots have lasted me about 5 years and still no failure but the wire on my snowboard boots is def a bit thicker than the wire for G2's and if my board boots fail I can go to the lodge and get drunk, if my mountain boots fail it could def suck (but I can still get drunk). Im sure they took all the care needed to get strong durable materials (for $800+ list price they damn well better have!!)
And my other concern is just that pressure point on my foot joint I noticed. Only noticed it on my right foot so Maybe I just didn't have something lined up correctly or needed to play a bit.

Otherwise I think these boots are gonna be awesome. Im bummed that the New England winter has sucked this year and its going to be like 70 degrees out this weekend so I doubt Ill get a chance to test these puppies in the cold till next winter. Ill try and get up and do some technical climbing with them in the next week or 2 and then I can add more info on how they feel with crampons and such.

Thanks for everyones help in the process. I hope my review here is helpful for people.

Brandonian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 35

Dude i would definitally try and challenge the plastic bags for vapor barriers, and the multiple socks and just use the 1 right pair of socks and let the boots do there job $825 double boots shouldnt need plastic bags for optimal function.. or is the vapor barrier for mountaineering boots on the treadmill odor control so they can be returned???

Brandonian wrote:Dude i would definitally try and challage the plastic bags for vapor barriers, and the multiple socks and just use the 1 right pair of socks and let the boots do there job $825 double boots shouldnt need plastic bags for optimal function.. or is the vapor barrier for mountaineering boots on the treadmill odor control so they can be returned???
I definitely agree!
Marty Theriault · · Quebec, QC · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 310
Brandonian wrote:Dude i would definitally try and challage the plastic bags for vapor barriers, and the multiple socks and just use the 1 right pair of socks and let the boots do there job $825 double boots shouldnt need plastic bags for optimal function.. or is the vapor barrier for mountaineering boots on the treadmill odor control so they can be returned???
+2
drewdogg2112 · · halifax, MA · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 20

well I was doing vapor barrier for 2 reasons
1. My feet sweat like crazy and soak my boots and socks which leads to...
2. my boots and socks get soaked so they get cold.

I am hoping that these boots will be warm enough that I don't need to worry about it. but my feet sweat like crazy no matter what boots/ shoes/ sandals I wear.

if its not freezing out I wouldn't worry so much but if its a below freezing day I prefer to make sure my insulation socks are dry.

Im 6'6" and in very good shape cardio wise but I think that the fact that my blood has to circulate so far to get to the extremities means my fingers and toes get cold quick. Ive had mild frostbite on both my big toes before and it left them numb for about 6 months. now they get cold quicker than they used to.

I wear smartwool either medium or heavy cushion.
Happy to take suggestions on socks or anything people like. All about trying something new.

thanks

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Those double boots are meant to be worn with thin socks.

I wear ski liners when wearing my 6000s

sandrock · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 120

Have you tried deoderant on your feet? Helps me.

could also try a neoprene sock, does the same thing as the vapor barrier but is a little more comfortable

Charlie Ware · · Albuquerque · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 0

Hi...

I use the following boots and normally wear a 10.5 us mens New Balance 105 EE in most of their running shoes.

Batura 2.0 43.5

Trango Cube GTX 44.0

Trango TRK TTX 44.0

Ultra Raptor 44.0

I got the G2SM in a 44.5, but I put a Superfoot Merino Grey footbed in them. I have used them so far in only -10 weather. I don't get cold feet easy and on a long 3 hour approach, a 4 hour ice climb and 2 hour descent my very thin liner sock was damp and my medium weight Lorpen midweight wook sock was dampish.

If you were on a multi-day it would be best to dry out the inner boot at night if possible, make sure you have on fresh new dry sock the next date and alternate again if possible.

Without the Superfoot insole a 44 would have been ok for size. I feel they are warmer than the other La Sportiva doubles, but the reduction in weight and bulk are a major plus.

I don't like the "trench foot" effect of a vapor sock. I think just letting your feet dry in your sleeping bag at night and always having dry liners to change to is most reasonable. If you had to go multiple days without a sock change would still be ok I feel. As important is hydration and not letting other extremities get cold.

That being said it is worth also trying on the NEW Scarpa 6000. They just fit differently.

I like the BOA as it was easy to change the fit during the day, at least easier than laces it seemed.

boogiecha · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

Well, we (I) use to have similar issue, sweaty sweaty... plastic bag around your foot is OK but we figured out something else: I use to put sanitary napkins into the boot!

Honestly, try it out. Sanitary napkins, lightweight and very absorbing!

It takes a shit lot of sweat and can be changed when necessary (usually once/ day). Never had again any bigger issues with wet/ damp inner boot...

Jeff Harmon · · New Jersey · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 260

Hi,

I bought a pair of the G2 SM's. LOVE THEM! Love the BOA. Can easily loosen them for moderate approaches and then tighten them up when the crampons go on. No foot slippage. Solid and strong. Light and warm. The double boot is very warm and liner is easily removed.

J

Lzpup Brewster · · North Bend, Wa · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 40

Interested in these boots for a climb in Peru, anyone climb above 14k in these? Not sure if these will be too hot for Peru, hope to use them on Denali as well.

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255
Lzpup wrote:Interested in these boots for a climb in Peru, anyone climb above 14k in these? Not sure if these will be too hot for Peru, hope to use them on Denali as well.
My buddy climbed Alpamayo this past July in La Sportiva Spantiks, which were mandatory by RMI requirements. He said he was glad he had a warm, double boot because it was pretty damn cold at elevation ... even in July. Just food for thought ...
that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

Why is everybody trying to tell him not to use a vapor barrier? The whole boot is all ready one giant vapor barrier, the best thing he could possible do is prevent the liner from getting damp, the less moisture in the boot the warmer he will stay.

Allow me to call bullshit on literally everything you just typed.

Brandonian wrote:Using a bunch of BS like plastic bags and stuff hinders the evaporation/dissipation of moisture rendering the performance materials of the boots useless.
The boot is all ready completely sealed the inner boot is made out of EVA foam, there is no moisture dissipation or evaporation.
Brandonian wrote:Also moisture will collect around and on your foot will make you colder when it freezes and can cause trenchfoot and a bunch of other funk foot conditions.
Really? Well you best not wear a base layer or any clothing at all seeing as how sweat seems to just freeze even when directly next to the skin. Trench foot and other foot conditions are manageable providing you take of the VB at the end of the day and dry it out.
Brandonian wrote: If you needed additional "vapor barriers" these choice boots would have come with them.
If you really needed socks the boots would have came with them.
Brandonian wrote:Additionally the addition of to many layers of multiple pairs of socks, neoprene socks, toe warmers, wrapped in plastic bags in side of the factory inner boot in the actual boot eliminates the lose layer effect which creates small spaces that get warmed and trap body heat keeping you warm and allow for the moisture dissipation and evaporation through the boots materials.
The loose layer effect is the most basic and least effective forms of insulation, that's why we have things such as insulation, down or fleece it's all about trapping air, also you seem to have no idea how a proper vapor barrier system works, it's a single fine vapor barrier such as 2mm neoprene or a plastic bag or even a dedicated VB sock, then ontop of the vapor barrier you have a single fitted sock, and once again there is no evaporation through EVA.
Brandonian wrote:Using a bunch of BS like plastic bags and stuff hinders the evaporation/dissipation of moisture rendering the performance materials of the boots useless. Also moisture will collect around and on your foot will make you colder when it freezes and can cause trenchfoot and a bunch of other funk foot conditions. If you needed additional "vapor barriers" these choice boots would have come with them. Additionally the addition of to many layers of multiple pairs of socks, neoprene socks, toe warmers, wrapped in plastic bags in side of the factory inner boot in the actual boot eliminates the lose layer effect which creates small spaces that get warmed and trap body heat keeping you warm and allow for the moisture dissipation and evaporation through the boots materials.
If you don't want to completely read what i typed i found a video that sums up my reaction to what you typed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Seb do you even G2 bra? I believe we are arguing the same point blah blah blah ("loose layers" create gaps between your puffy, insulation, baselayer, ect. filled with air your body heats up thats how warmth is created and stowed) and (the EVA boot is a vapor barrier in and of itself).... My point was La Sportiva engineers made a very fine boot you shouldn't need anything other than a wool sock IMO especially since I've been running these boots for the last year. However if you would like to run vapor "to the 4th power" barrier bullshit under you G2s feel free bro! IMO thats just not what LA SPORTIVA had in mind. Thanks for your interpretation though.

I think the individual that started this thread got a pair of G2s and I hope he's not running a bunch of extra bullshit under them. If you have the time please blast some feedback. I hope everyone's opinions were helpful. BEWARE OF BOOGER EATERS WRAPPED IN PLASTIC BAGS.

Iulian Barbuceanu · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 35

Hello everybody! I've just used the G2 SM on Elbrus and this is my feedback, hope you will find it useful:

First thoughts:
- I bought a new pair, I normally wear 42-43, my G2's are 44. Perfect fit with winter socks.
- I had to wear them for nearly 15 hours on the airplane towards Russia. No problem what so ever. Easy to wear, easy to open and close. Especially compared to other bots that don't have the BOA system.
- I feel as if I had the perfect boots. I wore them in temperatures between -+25 Celsius and -20 Celsius and my feet felt perfect.
- During the night time I just put the inner boots in my sleeping bag and by morning they were dry and cozy. The EVA does not absorb sweat so they dry really fast. I think in the daytime you just need 15 minutes of sun (and positive temperatures) to dry the inner boot, no matter how much your feet sweat.

First problems:
Well... to get right to the point... the BOA system failed. The steel cable just came of from the upper system. I nearly had a heart attack as this happened when I was in the Priut basecamp at 4100m.

I have put photos for you to see what happened. Fortunately I did not panic and improvised a quick DIY fix. Now I am still in vacation but as soon as I get home I will send La Sportiva a message with the pictures to see what they think about this problem and go back to the shop for a new pair.

I still want this boot. It's just to perfect to let it go because of a BOA failure. It's not La Sportiva's fault, it's the BOA system that's not perfect.. as it seems. It's just to hard for me to get back to standard laces after spending these weeks up on Elbrus with the G2. I love these boots.

I will let you know what La Sportiva had to say about this problem.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "La Sportiva G2 SM. Any input"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started