Mountain Project Logo

horseshoe canyon ranch - march

Original Post
Amanda Friedman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0

Looking for advice for a mid March trip to HCR. Has anyone climbed there before and can recommend if March is too cold or if its better to wait until May? Are there sun and shaded routes. My partner and I are also looking for a few others to split a cabin with and maybe a car from the airport. Any beta would be helpful!

Creed A · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 775

March is usually pretty nice in Arkansas, though it can be rainy.

Lucas Agricola · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0

I've been there the past two Marches and loved it. Cold in the mornings but there is no better place to chase the sun than HCR

Amanda Friedman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0

Where do you stay?

Luc Ried · · Batesville, AR · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 440

Should be plenty warm by March. And as stated, HCR is perfect for sun chasing. Just don't be surprised if it rains for a week straight. Good luck, and have fun!

Luc Ried · · Batesville, AR · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 440

https://roadtrippers.com/us/jasper-ar/camping-rv/jasper-dogwood-cabins-rv-park
I've stayed here before, its a pretty nice place, and not too far from HCR. They also have cabins in the canyon, but I've never checked in to pricing those.

I've always stayed at the canyon campground. Less than 15 minute hike from all the crags, and some are as close as 5 minutes. $7 a night + the $7 a day to climb

Zachary Burton · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 10

HCR provides both camping areas as well as cabins. I took a trip there in December and it was perfect climbing weather. I would suggest camping there. Only because the approach from the campgrounds is super easy and really short. The one problem with HCR is the cost. Its 5 dollars a day per person to camp as well as 5 dollars a day to climb. It might not be that big of an issue, but when you are a baller on a budget it provides less incentive, especially when the RRG is close by. Regardless, great climbing, and a fantastic atmosphere.

It's only $5 now? I thought it was $7 for each last year. Maybe it's more expensive in season

Mike W. · · Des Moines, IA · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 345

It's always been $5 as far as I can remember. Still is as of a few weeks ago.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply