horseshoe canyon ranch - march

Original Post
Amanda Friedman
Unknown Hometown

Looking for advice for a mid March trip to HCR. Has anyone climbed there before and can recommend if March is too cold or if its better to wait until May? Are there sun and shaded routes. My partner and I are also looking for a few others to split a cabin with and maybe a car from the airport. Any beta would be helpful! — Jan 21, 2016
Creed A
Unknown Hometown

March is usually pretty nice in Arkansas, though it can be rainy. — Jan 21, 2016
Lucas Agricola
Unknown Hometown

I've been there the past two Marches and loved it. Cold in the mornings but there is no better place to chase the sun than HCR — Jan 21, 2016
Amanda Friedman
Unknown Hometown

Where do you stay? — Jan 21, 2016
Luc Ried
Batesville, AR

Should be plenty warm by March. And as stated, HCR is perfect for sun chasing. Just don't be surprised if it rains for a week straight. Good luck, and have fun! — Jan 21, 2016
Luc Ried
Batesville, AR

roadtrippers.com/us/jasper-...
I've stayed here before, its a pretty nice place, and not too far from HCR. They also have cabins in the canyon, but I've never checked in to pricing those. — Jan 21, 2016
Lucas Agricola
Unknown Hometown

I've always stayed at the canyon campground. Less than 15 minute hike from all the crags, and some are as close as 5 minutes. $7 a night + the $7 a day to climb — Jan 22, 2016
Zachary Burton
Unknown Hometown
HCR provides both camping areas as well as cabins. I took a trip there in December and it was perfect climbing weather. I would suggest camping there. Only because the approach from the campgrounds is super easy and really short. The one problem with HCR is the cost. Its 5 dollars a day per person to camp as well as 5 dollars a day to climb. It might not be that big of an issue, but when you are a baller on a budget it provides less incentive, especially when the RRG is close by. Regardless, great climbing, and a fantastic atmosphere. — Feb 11, 2016
Lucas Agricola
Unknown Hometown

It's only $5 now? I thought it was $7 for each last year. Maybe it's more expensive in season — Feb 15, 2016
Mike W.
Des Moines, IA

It's always been $5 as far as I can remember. Still is as of a few weeks ago. — Feb 16, 2016
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply