camera tethers

Original Post
Patrick Corry · Jan 21, 2016 · PA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0
Does anyone have any recommendations for a camera tether which can be attached to my pack strap? I'm imagining something like an old telephone cord- expandable- which will allow me to extend the camera at a full arms length, but avoid the chance of dropping the camera.

I have a Canon S100 point & shoot digital which lives in a small, soft case attached to my backpack strap at chest level. I realize the attachment is only as good as the tiny strap 'eye' on the camera, but it should handle a short drop from cold, clumsy fingers!

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

rocknice2 · Jan 21, 2016 · Montreal, Quebec · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 2,958

CornCob · Jan 21, 2016 · Sandy, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 0
Fancy Leash.

How to use it.

Less fancy.

Or 550 cord and key chain rings.

alpinejason · Jan 21, 2016 · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0
I used the key ring retractor for similar. Do not get the chain version, they don't hold up to abuse well. The cable versions would last a year or so with moderate use, then eventually just wouldn't retract anymore.

Most (all?) cameras have a threaded hole in the bottom of the camera, attach a small eye bolt of equiv. diameter. and connect it to the key ring retractor with a key chain carabiner. Snug the eye bolt before you head out every morning.

Attach camera case to your harness backpack and keep the camera stowed until use.

I used this system for three years for work and never dropped a camera.

alpinejason · Jan 21, 2016 · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0
My system, while not fancy, is built on hardware parts vs. the fancy leashes. You can buy replacement supplies at any local store and repair it while out and about.

Trevor. · Jan 21, 2016 · Boise, ID · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 731
I use one of my B&D ski leashes to tether my camera and it works well for my purposes.

bearbreeder · Jan 21, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 25
Make a blakes hitch purcell out of 2-3 mm shock cord

Cost u like 2 dollahs

The downside is that its harder to extend one handed (put the camera in yr mouth)

For two handed operations its just dandy

I can post up instructions on how to make it

I make em as general teethers for folks

;)

Nathan Self · Jan 21, 2016 · Louisiana · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 20
Tethers are aid.

Patrick Corry · Jan 21, 2016 · PA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0
Thank you all for the great ideas!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply