Mountain Project Logo

The Homestead weather in late March?

Original Post
Derek Plafcan · · Golden, co · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 240

I'm curious if anyone has experience there around mid-late March. Some folks say tufa city is too hot already, but tolerance of heat is very subjective. So, if anyone has been there around this time of year, I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Alex "Tojo" Kray · · Chandler, AZ · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 100

depends on temps, quick answer is too hot! prime tufa is 50s and sunny, or colder! a sunny 70-80F day will feel like 100F at Tufa City! that white rock just blasts that sun back at you! but if you get a cloudy day, take it! spring and fall is typically Rough Rider/North Buttress time!!!

1Eric Rhicard · · Tucson · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 10,126

I have climbed here until June. When the temps reach the 90s it is too hot in the sun. If you want to climb there in March start on the Rough Rider Wall then move to the Tufas after 2. It takes about 20 minutes and as the days are longer you can bang out tufa routes by the time it starts getting dark. Bring lots of food and water for the day. I bring 4 quarts and if I have extra I stash it at the base of the cliff so I don't have to carry it in again. Great camping weather.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "The Homestead weather in late March?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started