Mountain Project Logo

winter climbing partners Washington

Original Post
Sean Maher · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2014 · Points: 1,255

I'm looking for someone with a bit of mountaineering experience to indulge an aspiring winter climber on some easier routes. I realize those of you with experience probably aren't interested in mentoring a novice but I'm really keen and available if you need a partner for a weekend! I've been trad climbing for a year and a half, sport climbing for two and a half years and hiking/backpacking for longer but I have minimal winter experience aside from snowboarding.

I'm particularly interested in climbing The Tooth in Snoqualmie pass this winter. I went to climb it with a friend in September but the approach looked so terrible that we went and climbed the northeast buttress of Chair Peak instead! I imagine that in winter the talus guarding the tooth is transformed to easier and more enjoyable snow slopes. This sounds like a nice introduction to winter climbing to me, but I'm up for anything if you have better ideas!

I have a rope, rock rack, crampons and can get hold of an ice axe.

Ashort · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 56

IMO the tooth is best in spring conditions when the avy danger has died down but the approach is still snow covered. Think april-may. I may be willing to get out there with you, but would like to meet up in person first.

Hi Ashort, after seeing how bad the avy report and weather has been on the weekends, I can see your point about waiting for spring to do the tooth! I'm happy to meet up at some point, I see you're in Tacoma. We could head to Edgeworks for some leading?

I took an avalanche course with AIARE this weekend and have a small amount of ski touring under the belt. Still looking to do some mountaineering this winter and spring, let me know if you're interested!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "winter climbing partners Washington"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started