Banners hung in the Sespe

Original Post
Alex Bury · · Ojai, CA · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 1,873

Someone is hanging "art" on a cliff in the Sespe. Pull your trash down now and save me the trip.

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 45

That's pretty beat! I'll participate in the clean up if I see anything.

Thanks Joe. Unfortunately these guys installed at lot of bolts into the wall, they didnt just hang them. Really lame.

Yeitti · · Colorado or sometimes LA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 20

what exactly is a "banner on the wall"? What does it say? Any photos?

John Badila · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 0

well, at least it's good "art," though, right?

/s (forgot this)

Brassmonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 0

Nope.

Yeitti · · Colorado or sometimes LA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 20

WTF!!!!!!!!!!! That is messed up!!! Who would be such a jacka$$ to do this? I think an old fashioned beat down is in order for whoever did that!

John Badila · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 0

Maybe a bad Jackson Pollock tribute? Or is that cliff sacred to the Spirograph tribe?

Kyle Wills · · Chicago, IL · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 930

+1 for possible spirograph tribe connection.

Very frustrating. I wouldn't expect them to do the work to clean it up. I would have liked to see those things removed instantly. Now we have some rain coming. If you haven't got to them yet, I'll help out whith the removal if you need it. I'll do it in the rain if we have to.

AlanCook · · Ventura, CA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

To make matters worse, these "banners" will likely become shooting targets soon.

I'd be willing to help clean up over the weekend.

^^^ good eye, that is exactly what they are.

Jon Hartmann · · Ojai, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,120

Hey Alex, thank you very much taking those down. I was wondering what you were looking at up the road while I was climbing Pipe Cleaner. I thought you were scoping new lines or boulder problems in the dried up river. I wish I could have helped but I was working today. How many bolts did they put in to hold those things up?

Yo Jon. They probably installed about a dozen bolts to hold them up. They were small diameter, funky hardware store type bolts. Im pretty sure now that they werent actual climbers but who knows.
I removed about half of the bolts. Several remain, mostly at weird heights I couldnt reach from below or above.

Cocoapuffs 1000 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 0

I guarantee you that whoever did this put it all over instagram. You just need to think like a douche and figure out which hashtags they used

Jon Hartmann · · Ojai, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,120

Damn Ojai hippies.

Thanks for keeping an eye out in the sespe Alex. And for picking up the trash. Just because one can hang stuff on a rock, doesn't make it art. That person has a piss poor artistic eye.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply