Mountain Project Logo

Don't pull your hair out over climbing this year

Original Post
Liz Haas · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 15

There's no reason reason to lose hair to belay devices and hanging quickdraws (like I did):

bit.ly/1Zxq03G

AND (almost) HAPPY NEW YEARS!

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

As a guy with a longish pony tail, the number one problem is extended (or even not extended) rappel devices. I've caught my hair several times, always managing to stop and get it out before tearing it off, but at least once this has required tying off the rappel and standing up on a prussik sling to unweight the rap device.

I try to remember to stick my pony tail down my shirt, on the right side away from where the rap device will be, but sometimes forget, and sometimes the pony tail escapes and makes a run for it.

I probably need to learn to make a bun, eh?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
rgold wrote:. I probably need to learn to make a bun, eh?
Or cut your hair, you hippy! :)
frank minunni · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined May 2011 · Points: 95

Damn tree huggers.

I stopped hugging trees after I got sap in my pony tail. Now I favor clear-cutting.

frank minunni · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined May 2011 · Points: 95

I've been using Napalm. It's quick and fun. Don't forget the weenies.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

I am a post-modern hippy (hippy with a job) and I have lost a few chucks of hair to rappelling.

Bill M · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 317

A benefit of being bald!

Baldness hasn't stopped me!

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60
This post violated Rule #1. It has been removed by Mountain Project.
PRRose · · Boulder · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 0

Never got my hair caught in pro, but I have learned to watch out for rappel devices.

Can't see going for a man-bun though. I'll stick with a turswiry cap.

Laramide Erogenous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 235

Giant rasta dreads?

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

Cute blog post. Interesting and relevant. Kudos!

I've also gotten my hair caught in ATCs a couple times, even with it in a pony tail, so I really like the rgold's idea of tucking it in your shirt. However, this recent quickdraw mishap was by far the worst--and most noticeable--as it took a solid chunk from the front (which now stands straight up most days).

The quickdraw haircut sounds like a really unusual occurrence. Any further insights into how it happened? Like what exactly grabbed your hair so firmly?

kmb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 5
Liz Haas wrote:I've also gotten my hair caught in ATCs a couple times, even with it in a pony tail, so I really like the rgold's idea of tucking it in your shirt. However, this recent quickdraw mishap was by far the worst--and most noticeable--as it took a solid chunk from the front (which now stands straight up most days).
One of those looks then?
Quickdraw or other cause

KMB: My hair now tends to look like a shorter, less hair-sprayed version of that, yes.

Rgold: My hair got caught between the rope and the lower biner of the quickdraw, which I was trying to unclip before I fell (I was trying out a friend's project by TRing through the draws), and my hair got pinched between them as I began to weight the rope. As I continued falling (due to rope stretch), my hair ripped in half. I'm not sure if this scenario would have occurred if I'd been leading the route, but unfortunately I haven't sent 5.12c yet, hence the TR mishap--hopefully this spring I'll test out the lead scenario :)

Mike Gibson · · Payson, AZ · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 0

I always wear a shirt now because I got my nipple hair caught in an ATC.

Lost skin and hair - bloody mess - kinda like sundancing.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Don't pull your hair out over climbing this year"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.