Mountain Project Logo

Via Ferrata's in California

Original Post
Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 90

I'm sure most of you climbers don't get the appeal of Via Ferrata. I personally don't have much of an opinion either way. I'm curious if there are any in california. How many? And where? My wife an daughter aren't in love with climbing like I am, but they try. I'd like to be as smooth and gentle with introducing it to them as I can be. They love to hike so I thought getting them out on some cool via ferratas would be a neat way they could have fun and feel as though they did something closer to climbing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Or if you can point me to an older thread that has covered this.

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,348
JoeGaribay wrote:I'm sure most of you climbers don't get the appeal of Via Ferrata. I personally don't have much of an opinion either way. I'm curious if there are any in california. How many? And where? My wife an daughter aren't in love with climbing like I am, but they try. I'd like to be as smooth and gentle with introducing it to them as I can be. They love to hike so I thought getting them out on some cool via ferratas would be a neat way they could have fun and feel as though they did something closer to climbing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Or if you can point me to an older thread that has covered this.
I am not aware of any. There are very few in the United States. The onces I can think of are:

- Half Dome cables (technically via ferrata, but no one uses lanyards on those)
- Seneca Rocks has a paid, private one
- The RRG has a small one
- Mexico has one in the Las Huasteca canyon and it's probably the largest one in NA that I know of.

I have done the one in Mexico and Seneca. The one in Mexico is the only one worth doing IMO.

edit: check this out

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_f…

xtremesport4u.com/extreme-l…
aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 294
20 kN wrote:- Seneca Rocks has a paid, private one
That Via Ferrata is at Nelson Rocks, not Seneca... but it's not far from Seneca.

In addition to 20kN's list, Telluride has a Via Ferrata that is accessible to the public (i.e., you don't have to pay or hire a guide to do it).

There is another privately owned Via Ferrata near Odgen in Utah.
Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310

Go find Mitchel Caverns ..... its out east of Barstow. The Providence Mts. I think that the caverns are closed, now due to our states inability to budget properly and the need to give ever increasing more money to state workers, and we have a Hi-speed train to build...... but I digress.

At the caverns, you can find a map of the area (maybe) anyway there was a huge ASH Volcano about 2-3 miles north of the caverns.... there is a loop trail, part of this trail drops down into a basin a few hundred feet deep, to get down this part, you down climb on steel rings placed into the sheer cliff... I have never seen anything like this before.

Joe its a cool place to explore, bivi at the cavern parking area and wake up for the sunrise.... you get a unbelievable view looking east.

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 90

Wow! Thanks Guy! Just what I'm looking for. Probably see you sooner than later. Been climbing with one of your guys recently.

Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 40

This in Teluluride, CO:
telluridemountainclub.org/v…

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply