Mountain Project Logo

Electric Heater for Sleeping in Truck?

SeƱor Arroz · · LA, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

I live in CA, so what do I really know about cold, but here in the promised land a couple of those chemical hand and foot warmers thrown into the bottom of a sleeping bag go a LONG way to keeping things warm all night in the back of the truck. Perception really is reality in that way. Warm feet, stocking cap on head for warm head, everything else stays happy. 

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 16,373

For those using small propane heaters, there's an adapter that lets you refill the 1 lb cans from a 20lb cylinder.  They cost about $15.  Works great, although my experience is that you only get the 1 lb can about 1/2 to 2/3rds full, but cost is about 50 cents.

You screw the adapter into the 20lb, freeze the empty 1 lb in a freezer, then quickly connect it to the other end of the adapter, invert so the 20lb is on top and open the valve.  A few min. later, close the valve and unscrew the 1 lb.  (Repeating the process gets a bit more into the 1 lb) 

Roots · · Redmond. OR · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

^I believe that adapter is called the "Schnoozzle"...

Why not just rely on clothing and a warmer sleeping bag? -I know you said your wife gets sick but I'd work on her immune system before adding a heater to a pickup bed. To me, they just don't go together very well...

Roots · · Redmond. OR · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20
Señor Arroz wrote: I live in CA, so what do I really know about cold, but here in the promised land a couple of those chemical hand and foot warmers thrown into the bottom of a sleeping bag go a LONG way to keeping things warm all night in the back of the truck. Perception really is reality in that way. Warm feet, stocking cap on head for warm head, everything else stays happy. 

...or just put hot water in your Nalgene and snuggle up with it....

David Kerkeslager · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 137
Robert Hall wrote: For those using small propane heaters, there's an adapter that lets you refill the 1 lb cans from a 20lb cylinder.  They cost about $15.  Works great, although my experience is that you only get the 1 lb can about 1/2 to 2/3rds full, but cost is about 50 cents.

You screw the adapter into the 20lb, freeze the empty 1 lb in a freezer, then quickly connect it to the other end of the adapter, invert so the 20lb is on top and open the valve.  A few min. later, close the valve and unscrew the 1 lb.  (Repeating the process gets a bit more into the 1 lb) 

There's also an adaptor that lets you attach the 20lb cylinder directly to the heater. I've not used the one you talk about, but it sounds like it's a lot more of a PITA.

SmithVentures · · Fayetteville, WV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 165
claytown wrote: Thanks for all of the info Tyson! That's a huge help. Do you happen to know anything about the Mr Heater Little Buddy? The $800 heater is a bit more than I was planning. My concern with propane (besides fire hazard in a confined space) is that it will heat up the whole area in about 3 minutes and then I'll have to turn it off... and that game will go on every 30 minutes or hour all night long. Am I way off base? Do you have any other recommendations for me? Thanks again!

It’ll get really hot. Even on low. I used a me buddy heater and in winter with snow on the ground, I could only run it 15-20 mins max in my Chevy express

climbing coastie · · Wasilla, AK · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 90
cdawg lion wrote: anyone tried a small diesel heater? reviews on youtube show no CO,CO2,N2 fumes from unit into the heated air (all expelled through the exhaust).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KGMGPD9/ref=sspa_dk_detail_7?pd_rd_i=B07KGLFWJV&pd_rd_w=g7Usk&pf_rd_p=21517efd-b385-405b-a405-9a37af61b5b4&pd_rd_wg=Cy2Ip&pf_rd_r=0DQWQKW188NFNP6WDV0N&pd_rd_r=9dae31b5-fefd-11e8-9d58-738e1437dadc&th=1fd-11e8-9d58-738e1437dadc&th=1

I have a gasoline version in my van. Look up reviews for Webesto or Espar heaters. Very popular in van builds. 

James Paulson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 12 days ago · Points: 0

I think it'd be the best for you to pick a compact propane generator, some of them also run on gas. Obviously, you want to breathe clean air and when it's cold they can be turned on pretty fast. Here are the best options for 2019: https://lawngardentop.com/best-power-generator/best-propane-generators.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Electric Heater for Sleeping in Truck?"