Mountain Project Logo

Is my sole delaminating or does my footwork suck?

Original Post
Steve M · · Poulsbo, WA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 106

(...or both?)

So I've been climbing in my Redlines for about three months now, and even after just a month I noticed the tip of the toe on my right foot separating from the rand. It's been getting progressively worse and as it has widened out, I can see that it looks like the sole never bonded to the rand in that area originally. Is this something I should take up with Madrock? Or am I just out of luck?

Redline Sole

I know the first question will be "did you leave them in a hot car?" and no, I did not. Any time my shoes were in the car, I was also in there with them.

bearbreeder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 3,065

delamination ... the wear around the rest of the area is fairly normal

cant speak about mad rocks ... but its fairly common with sportivas

;)

csproul · · Pittsboro...sort of, NC · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 330

Looks like delam to me. Toe draggers usually put a hole higher up on the toe. That is pretty much where I'd expect to see the bulk of the wear from standing on your toes. After three months, however, I suspect you're just out of luck. You might be able to climb on them a little longer, but make sure you don't wear into the rand if you don't want to pay for rand repair.

Thanks guys, I was afraid of that.

It's too bad, the redlines are a really great shoe! (aside from this issue i should add :P)

Joshua Griffin · · Glenwood Springs, CO · Joined May 2012 · Points: 60

Since the OP got his answer, I'll but in and claim that I did leave my LaSportivas in my hot car so... not that my heel is entirely delaminated, what glue should I use to reattach the sole? Maybe Steve can re-glue as well?

Joshua

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Barge cement. Thin coat, let dry, heat up, then press HARD together.

That's what I've been hearing, Barge cement with a bit of thinner, then park your car on top of your shoes overnight. Would it make it any harder to resole? Or does it even matter because they just strip it all down with a belt sander anyway?

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

Couple things.

First off, your shoes can be delaminating and your footwork can suck all at once. So there is that.

I don't think the repair will last long, and months are not terribly useful for wear, mileage is.

You need to get the rubber super clean, like denatured alcohol clean. Then you need to spread a super thin layer on both rubber surfaces. Then you need to let it dry. Then you need to heat it up. Finally you clamp them. You need to use something with more precision than a car. Vice grips, wood clamps, etc.

The reason it rarely is a lasting solution is contained in the process. Think about how difficult it will be to remove grime. Now think about keeping each piece from touching while drying. Also consider the heat you need to use and the effect it will have on the parts that aren't delaminating.

You can get them further down the road for sure. Don't be surprised if they delam again. Keep an eye on the wear though, resoles are cheaper and more effective if you send them in before the rand is worn through.

Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 966

Well if it's your heel, your probably not going to do a full resole, they cut through the sole around the arch area and leave the back half alone

Alex McIntyre · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 546

The first generation of RedLines had an issue with toe delamination, but for the second production run they re-tooled the press so the soles would be bonded better to the shoe. Contact Mad Rock and you should be able to get a replacement pair.

madrockclimbing.com/support…

Jon Rhoderick wrote:Well if it's your heel, your probably not going to do a full resole, they cut through the sole around the arch area and leave the back half alone
??? You did see the picture of the shoes, right?
Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 966

that was for Joshua

Alex McIntyre wrote:The first generation of RedLines had an issue with toe delamination, but for the second production run they re-tooled the press so the soles would be bonded better to the shoe. Contact Mad Rock and you should be able to get a replacement pair. madrockclimbing.com/support…
This is what I was hoping and kinda dreading to hear. Thanks though, an email has been sent!
Joshua Griffin · · Glenwood Springs, CO · Joined May 2012 · Points: 60

Cool guys, thanks.

Joshua

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469

I'm having this issue with my shoes. I just smear a layer of shoe goo over the area. It doesn't correct the issue but protects the area from further wear. It's not as sticky, but doesn't matter much on my gym shoes. You can get better traction by mixing a little fine sand in with the goo.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

If you must ask this question, surely your feet they do not quietly lasering from one tiny hold to next with utmost precision, myah?

Thank you for the recommendation Alex!
I contacted Madrock two days ago, they replied yesterday asking a few questions, I responded this morning, and I just got this email

Yay!!

Jim Turner wrote:I'm having this issue with my shoes. I just smear a layer of shoe goo over the area. It doesn't correct the issue but protects the area from further wear. It's not as sticky, but doesn't matter much on my gym shoes. You can get better traction by mixing a little fine sand in with the goo.
I did this with my tarantulaces, but I could never get the shoe goo to stick for more than a few sessions. I finally just said screw it and climbed with the sole flopping about anyway
keithconn · · LI, NY · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 35

Your foot work sucks!

Just kidding!

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

A delaminating sole isn't helped by toe draggers so probably a bit of both, Just get them resoled it's probably not worth trying to get them under warranty.

that guy named seb wrote:A delaminating sole isn't helped by toe draggers so probably a bit of both, Just get them resoled it's probably not worth trying to get them under warranty.
Keep reading...
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Is my sole delaminating or does my footwork suck?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started