Mountain Project Logo

UTAH - 2015/16 Ice Season

Matt · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 106

Sundial is in. It takes pro just fine. I believe we left a new BD express 10cm screw at the base of the final column or at the anchor on top. If you find it, i would be willing to trade some beers to get the screw back. Otherwise, enjoy the booty.

Let the season begin.

Sundial Ice

Josh Beckner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 15

Stairway was a bit sloppy but fun today (Nov 14). Plenty of junk falling down up there, so it's not wise to climb under the hang fire. The far left side (left most chains with ice below) are the safest.
Average of 2 inches thick on the standard TR routes on the bottom tier. Looks worse up higher. I also saw a soccer ball sized rock come down late in the day. Buyer beware...

Stairway, Provo Canyon, Nov 14

Brett Verhoef · · Northern Utah · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 380

Here are a few pictures from Provo Canyon and Aspen Grove on Timp. The Aspen Grove climbs are pretty disappointing. The lower stuff like 1st falls and 2nd falls were barely there. The higher climbs like Picture Window were pretty scarce too. It was 40° up there today so I guess that explains it.

Bridal Veil and Stairway 11/15/15

The Fang and Millers Thriller 11/15/15

Lower Robert's Horn 11/15/15

Picture Window 11/15/15

Lost Lake Cirque climbs - Twin Daggers, Moist and Juicy, Shower Curtain 11/15/15

Robert Swalberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 20

had a buddy go down to the Pricecicle Saturday, he said it was terrible and coming down. He then went to Joe's and says CCC falls is not quite in yet, pretty thin.

CCC fals 11.14.15

RICHBLISS · · Lindon, UT · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

Here is a shot of Pricecicle (AKA Dirtcicle) from Saturday. I would say it's filling in vs. coming down.

Pricecicle AKA Dirtcicle

Kevin Hansen · · Melba Idaho · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 130

I drove by Pricicle on Friday and on Sunday got a good look at it both times. It's getting bigger by the day.
I wasn't able to get on it because of time issues.

Josh Beckner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 15

Today's conditions in Provo were pretty ugly, just mushy, thin stuff left...

youtu.be/qqiT4MJ_bGo

luke smith · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 121

Sundial was still good Sunday 11/15, plenty thick although the top pillar was running pretty well. Hopefully this storm cycle brings plenty of precip and colder temps! And Matt I have your screw, would gladly return it. Pm me to figure something out. Anybody had a look at Maple lately?

Ice4life · · US · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 330

Just throwing it out there. I have a rope and a rack, just need a belayer and a ride... Located in Sandy, no vehicle at the moment.

Ice/Mixed/Rock, whatever. I'm down. Email me or text: 5 one 8-813-160 Seven.

William Kramer · · Kemmerer, WY · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 935

Last Chance Falls, really thin, we decided to give it a little more time before attacking it

11/19/15

Jeremy Bauman · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,067

Not to significantly inconvenience anyone, but would someone mind changing the name of this thread to "Utah 2015/16 Ice Season"

Living in Colorado, it's really easy to mistake this thread with the CO one when browsing the 100 most recent posts.

Thanks!

- Jeremy

cdec · · SLC, UT · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 654

^^^^^
Pretty easy to discern since the Colorado thread is

2015-16 Colorado Ice Conditions

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

I just bookmark it each year, makes it easy to quickly pull it up. Much better than searching through the general forums.

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 700

I'm trying to get out climbing on Friday I need a partner. Anyone interested? PM me or shoot me a message.
Dallen

chadnuesmeyer Nuesmeyer · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 150
cdec wrote:^^^^^ Pretty easy to discern since the Colorado thread is 2015-16 Colorado Ice Conditions
It is also in the Geo-Specific section Northern UT and ID section of the forums not the CO section. All the same, I will see what can be done to make life easier on those where the air is thinner and the pot flows free-er.
Michael Buchanan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 255
cdec wrote:^^^^^ Pretty easy to discern since the Colorado thread is 2015-16 Colorado Ice Conditions
Carl, discerning between the two requires a degree of effort and time that most people just don't have.
zoso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 790

Thanks Chad. I'm still confused about what kind of ice it is though. Equatorial?

cdec · · SLC, UT · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 654

Friends went rock climbing in Maple yesterday. No ice.

joslstap · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 30
Last chance 11/21
Last chance is climbable, but bring your rock pro and your stubby screws
chadnuesmeyer Nuesmeyer · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 150

#TeamEasy went up to the Uinta's today. Entering from Wyoming the gate is still open and driveable.

November Wall - in and good
Upper November Wall - in and good
Mosquito - not a stitch of ice

Upper November Wall

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "UTAH - 2015/16 Ice Season "

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.