Mountain Project Logo

Pain BEHIND shoulder

Original Post
Rami Najjar · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 85

This is definitely an overuse injury, but it is mild right now and I could easily make it worse to the point where I am debilitated for months, so I wont. I have had shoulder impingement before, where it hurts to raise my arm, I learned my lessons from that injury. This is a different thing though, its not painful when raise my arm like impingement and the pain is somewhere different. I found a random photo on google images of the shoulder and edited in the arrow of exactly where the pain is.

The arrow points to exactly where the pain is

When I actually lie down and put my arms back like in the image I feel it, almost a tightness, but not quite. I also feel it when climbing if I reach over my head and PULL, but not if I just reach over my head without pulling. It is the worst when I cross over to a hold, like reaching to a hold on my left side with my right arm. I also feel it if I stand up and do this. Any ideas what this is?

Standing up and pulling arm back

Bapgar 1 · · Out of the Loop · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 90

As a professional that deals w/ stuff like this...

Shoulders are about as complicated as it gets when it comes to joints, I'll bet that it's a soft tissue problem but you'll save yourself a lot of grief and get back to pushing harder sooner if you enlist the services of a professional physio (pick your favorite) and have her/him help you sort it out.

Just my 2 cents, I'm sure that you'll get a bunch of folks willing to weight in.
good luck,
BA

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

See an orthopedist and forget about the Internet diagnosis.

Rami Najjar · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 85

I am going to see an ortho, seeing an airrosti Dr. actually on Thursday. Just curious if others have had it so I know what the healing time usually is.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Pain BEHIND shoulder"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started