Mountain Project Logo

Looking for a WARM place to climb this winter?

Original Post
John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 392
Consider Cayman Brac.

When you are on "Island Time", it doesn't really matter what time it is in the rest of the world.
What's Island Time? Actual clock on the wall in the Cayman Brac International Airport.
Cayman Brac is an island in the Caribbean that is a sport climber's paradise with amazing limestone cliffs most of the way around it. It has an amazing variety of climbs, including Adventure Climbing right over the sea (See last video segment this thread).
An aerial view of Cayman Brac, the Northeast Point in the foreground.

It's also the only place in the Caribbean that has all titanium bolts, so you don't have to worry about them breaking.

Where's Cayman Brac?
A British Territory, the three Cayman Islands are English speaking, have first-class medical care, and safe food and water. Cayman Brac, one of the small islands, is about 12 miles long and a mile wide. It has a population of about 1500 people (the size of my high school), no traffic lights, no stress and essentially zero crime.
Enjoying an afternoon cruise on Blackbeard's Revenge, 10b.
Elvis stemming the tufas on Tufa Two 5.12a, Iguana Wall

More information, many more climbing photos and the free climbing guide is available at climbcaymanbrac.com.

On MP at: International > Cayman Brac.
Two minutes from Dixon's Wall, Sylvia's Reef is a great way to loosen up with a swim, or just pass-out, after a hard day of climbing.
The Nani Cave is one of many non-technical caves you can visit.

Notice that Elvis is having so much fun he repeatedly forgets to clip the bolts!
youtube.com/watch?v=1DlXK0k…
David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2

I've looked at Cayman Brac a couple times -- but the lack of routes I can climb (unless the grades are really soft) means I'm unlikely to pick it as a destination.

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 300

Besides something impractical like swimming or kayaking, what's the cheapest way to get there? I looked at the cost of round-trip airfare from Denver to Cayman Brac briefly, it's about the same as round-trip air to Asia.

aikibujin wrote:Besides something impractical like swimming or kayaking, what's the cheapest way to get there? I looked at the cost of round-trip airfare from Denver to Cayman Brac briefly, it's about the same as round-trip air to Asia.

If you fly on holidays (Xmas, New Years, Spring Break) the airlines jack the fare up. But other than that, it's about $650. I just priced it three days ago.

And you should try using a travel agent instead of doing it yourself.

Bump

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 300

It sounds like a lovely place to visit, but there's no way I can justify going there without the wife and the kid... so I guess it's time to start saving up for the airfare. Just curious, what's the benefit of using a travel agent, when I can book the airfare myself?

aikibujin wrote:It sounds like a lovely place to visit, but there's no way I can justify going there without the wife and the kid... so I guess it's time to start saving up for the airfare. Just curious, what's the benefit of using a travel agent, when I can book the airfare myself?
I've found that my agent can get me better times and fares than I can get doing it myself. YMMV, but over the years, this has been consistently true.

Besides, there's so many ways to get there it'll drive you nuts trying to piece it together. Go ahead and try to do it, then contact an agent and compare. If you PM me, I'll send you the contact info for mine; I've used two, both have been booking DEN-CYB for me for decades.

Bump.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
aikibujin wrote:It sounds like a lovely place to visit, but there's no way I can justify going there without the wife and the kid... so I guess it's time to start saving up for the airfare. Just curious, what's the benefit of using a travel agent, when I can book the airfare myself?
Let me know when you want to go. I would probably consider this one with you.
Walter Galli · · Las vegas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 2,247

Come to Saint Marteen, I take you in some warm routes and boulders then shark fishing hiking shooting... Seriously no jokes..

bump

There's still openings ;-)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Looking for a WARM place to climb this winter? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started