Mountain Project Logo

Red Rocks Summer Climbing

Kyle Hartung · · Cleveland, OH · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 50

With everyone talking about summer climbing, thought I might as well throw my hat in the ring. I climb at Red Rocks the 3rd weekend of every May - I'm not a local. It's always been great that weekend in the canyon especially if you pick walls with some afternoon shade up high. I don't recall it ever being warmer than 85 or so once on the rock. Two years ago it was 50 degrees and insanely cold in shorts higher up...That being said, I'll be out there May 19 (Friday)and 20 and need a partner for Triassic Sands on Friday and something similar or bigger on Saturday. Thinking Clod Tower, Mt. Wilson Routes, Ginger Cracks/Power Failure, The Nightcrawler, Tooth or Consequences... Open to other ideas. Any takers?

Jeff Nova · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

So then would May temperatures be the equivilent to Septemeber temps...with July packed in the middle being the hottest month?

Another hot weather question...anyone ever use electrolyte hydration tablets before?

Thomas Beck · · Las Vegas, Nevada · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,025
Jeff Nova wrote:So then would May temperatures be the equivalent to September temps...with July packed in the middle being the hottest month? Another hot weather question...anyone ever use electrolyte hydration tablets before?
I always carry some electrolyte tablets. Best deal is on Amazon. IMO opinion better than Gatorade or powerade.

thanks...I will bring some tablets to Vegas (I can get one product line for free) just never tried them. Reading about them, they seem like a good idea for hydrating in hot weather.

Molly Martin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Hello!

I will be in Vegas from July 6-10 and I would like to find someone to climb with. Just a few pitches or some easy bouldering since it will be hot. Is anyone available? 

Xtine · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,921

Hi Molly, I'd be happy to climb with you around those dates.  Climbed yesterday and it was in the 60's in the shade with a breeze and we needed a layer.  Not guaranteeing those temps when you are here but there is still good, cool climbing to be had.    

freeflyingkmf Fratt · · Missoula, MT · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

I'm going to be in RR July 12-14. Anyone else planning on being around? We won't have a car and would love to share a ride with anyone who's crazy enough to brave the heat. Campground is also closed, so locals with couches would be AWESOME!

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
freeflyingkmf Fratt wrote:

I'm going to be in RR July 12-14. Anyone else planning on being around? We won't have a car and would love to share a campsite/ride with anyone who's crazy enough to brave the heat.

The campground is closed in the summer:

"The campground is closed May 30, 2017 through September 1, 2017 for the hot summer season."

[ http://www.redrockcanyonlv.org/redrockcanyon/camping-at-red-rock-canyon/ ]

Peter Sheppard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Hi Molly and Xtine,

I am going to be in Vegas this weekend (July 7-9) and am hoping to get some bouldering in on Saturday or Sunday morning.  I'd love to meet up with the two of you if timing works out!

Peter

Charles Pentland · · Squamish, BC · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Hey- 

mt charleston is great! I'm visiting from Squamish, and need a partner to climb with this week... 

Walter Galli · · Las vegas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 2,247

It is hell hot... I'm here now I can tell.... I won't climb unless up in M.charleston..

So we went in September...Red Rock Canyon!! It was a little cloudy when we first started but by 12pm the sun was beating down on us so it was time to get the $#@% out of there. Had an awesome climbing guide in Tracy Martin!!! She was terrific to climb with...especially as a "beginner".  Now going to Switzerland for a few months...not sure about the climbing over there but will check it out.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Red Rocks Summer Climbing"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.