Mountain Project Logo

Chattanooga Rain Recommendations

Original Post
Hamilton Puangnak · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0

My girlfriend and I will be stopping through Chattanooga for a few days this weekend through Tuesday. It looks like the forecast is predicting rain, but I'd like to make the most of our trip if possible. Any recommendations for crags that stay dry? We'll be sport climbing up to around 12-. Thanks.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Deep Creek is very overhung sport climbing and should fit your bill.

mountainproject.com/v/deep-…

Jaime M · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 85

Also, the bunkers at Foster Falls and Lizard Wall at Little River Canyon.

anonymous Simpson · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1

Do not go to deep creek. Despite being well overhung it does not stay dry during or after rain. It will seep for several days to a week after a good rain. I've made this mistake.

Castle Rock and Foster Falls dry quickly if there is a good wind and/or it is sunny the day after a rain.

anonymous Simpson · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1

Lizard Wall at the canyon is a good suggestion too.

Eric Chabot · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 45

Reviving this thread, I'm visiting Chattanooga this weekend thru tuesday, lots of rain in the forecast. I'm psyched on steeps if that is all that's dry, but I'll be with a climbing partner who struggles on 5.11-. Looks like there are a few warm ups at lizard wall but not much for moderates in the bunkers at foster falls...

Are there any protected areas with vertical / slab routes under a cap-roof? zones like the Rico buttress at the NRG... also, how complete are the MP descriptions for these walls? 

Willing to drive to the Obed if that will be helpful.

Jeremiah Nason · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Stephen king library at the obed will never ever be wet.  It’s got like a 40 ft roof but also has moderates that end before the roof starts

Jason Eberhard · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 111

If you don't mind getting wet Ruben and Saturated have enough positive holds to climb in the rain at Fosters and that's the only time you won't have to wait for them.  They're reasonably close to the bunkers, which I believe stay dry in the rain.

Jordan Mitchell · · Lookout Mountain · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 40

Might be worth considering leaving the sandstone alone while it’s wet to avoid damaging it. 

Brian Goldman · · Atlanta, Ga · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 40

Lizard Wall at Little River Canyon has the best chance of being dry that I know of, other than places at the Obed. There isn't much below 11- available, but it is really good gently overhung face climbing capped by a big roof! 

webdog · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 0

Paddle the Ocoee 

Eric Chabot · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 45

Thanks for the beta everyone. I'm still psyched for the trip and will make the best of it. Any other recommendations anyone has are appreciated.

Webdog, I wish I had a boat/was a better boater, looks like a fun river. 

Jordan Mitchell, as far as I am aware the sandstone in the SE is chemically different and doesn't need to dry after rain the way the rock does at red rocks and indian creek, it is much stronger.

Lisa Haze · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 35

F

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Chattanooga Rain Recommendations"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started