Mountain Project Logo

Powder Project Bad Idea

abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 204

I'm sorry I have to break the bad news to everyone: When you skin out from your car, you leave tracks. Anyone can follow them.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,510

If a place is even remotely harder to get to than the well known place, people will almost always take the easy road. I wouldn't worry about over-crowding. The benefits of posting an area usually out weigh the detriments.

Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 250
abandon moderation wrote: I'm sorry I have to break the bad news to everyone: When you skin out from your car, you leave tracks. Anyone can follow them.

Yeah, maybe now, but that wasn’t really the case in 2015.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Tradiban wrote: If a place is even remotely harder to get to than the well known place, people will almost always take the easy road. I wouldn't worry about over-crowding. The benefits of posting an area usually out weigh the detriments.

What are the benefits?

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,510
mediocre wrote:

What are the benefits?

Beta, spread people out, regardless the info will spread like it or not so prepare yourself and "your" area for it.

Spencer Parkin · · Bountiful · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0
mediocre wrote:

So you’re admittedly new to the sport but take it upon yourself to share rhis info with the world on the internet? 

This to me shows a complete lack ofrespext for the culture. 

You know what...damn the culture.  I don't care.  I'm going to go out there and ski what I want to ski and how I want to ski it and talk about it all I want on social media, which includes PP.

I'm not going to spoon my turns either.  I'm going to center-punch all the bowls, and make my turns as wide as possible.  Or better yet, I'll spoon my turns in a bowl and lap it 100 times.
Big B · · Sin City, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1
Spencer Parkin wrote:

You know what...damn the culture.  I don't care.  I'm going to go out there and ski what I want to ski and how I want to ski it and talk about it all I want on social media, which includes PP.

I'm not going to spoon my turns either.  I'm going to center-punch all the bowls, and make my turns as wide as possible.  Or better yet, I'll spoon my turns in a bowl and lap it 100 times.

such a rebl

Igor Chained · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 75
Spencer Parkin wrote:

I'm not going to spoon my turns either.  I'm going to center-punch all the bowls, and make my turns as wide as possible.  Or better yet, I'll spoon my turns in a bowl and lap it 100 times.
Save some for the rest of us lol
Spencer Parkin wrote:

You will care when you’ve been doing this a little while and you can’t do any of those things because 200 of your closest friends from powder project woke up 10 minutes earlier before you did.

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 54
mediocre wrote:

You will care when you’ve been doing this a little while and you can’t do any of those things because 200 of your closest friends from powder project woke up 10 minutes earlier before you did.

they call it dawn patrol for a reason. get up early and get your ass in shape. pass people on the skin track, and earn your turns.

curt86iroc wrote:

they call it dawn patrol for a reason. get up early and get your ass in shape. pass people on the skin track, and earn your turns.

4 pages before a “get up earlier” comment? We’re slacking. 

It goes beyond that. What happened to exploring? What happened to paying your dues? The internet is taking the sense of adventure out of everything. I know things are changing and I get that, but when someone says “I’m new here but I think I’m going to do what I want anyways” I’m going to call it out for the bullshit self entitled attitude it is. 
abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 204
mediocre wrote:

It goes beyond that. What happened to exploring? What happened to paying your dues? The internet is taking the sense of adventure out of everything. I know things are changing and I get that, but when someone says “I’m new here but I think I’m going to do what I want anyways” I’m going to call it out for the bullshit self entitled attitude it is. 

Ya know, my local library (they still exist!) has printed (on paper!) backcountry ski guidebooks dating back to at least the 1970s.

abandon moderation wrote:

Ya know, my local library (they still exist!) has printed (on paper!) backcountry ski guidebooks dating back to at least the 1970s.

While I am with the OP as he was 4 years ago, my main beef was with a guy who says he’s new here, but fuck it anyways im blowing up the spot. 

I know that there are real paper books with beta in them but a site like Powder Project adds to the thickness of those books on a daily basis (potentially). Not to mention Im willing to bet those guidebooks did piss off some locals in the 1970’s. 

I’ve seen more kind bar wrappers in parking lots, dog shit in skin tracks and near misses in the mountains over the past 5 years and I can’t help but think that if people had to work a little harder to get outside numbers might be reduced by just a little or at least the people out there would have a true interest in being there, not just because of the cool REI and Subaru ads. 

Now turn down your music and get off my lawn. 

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 54
mediocre wrote:

i mean, someone had to :)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Powder Project Bad Idea"