Watch out for Con Artist JEFF CALDWELL

Original Post
Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,470

This not so charming fellow is in Colorado Springs currently and was preying on friends of mine. I even hiked with him partway up to Barr Camp recently. Get a good look at the pictures and steer clear of his stories. He lives off of people's trust. Help get the word out. As you can see from the link, this has been going on since 2009.

http://www.oocities.org/southbeach/lagoon/Lagoon/6069/

No don't you let this go and ruin your Christmas, you hear.

marty funkhouser · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 30

Not a con artist, but my girlfriend is convinced I'm a stalker. To be perfectly honest, she's not exactly my girlfriend yet.

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 451
marty funkhouser wrote:Not a con artist, but my girlfriend is convinced I'm a stalker. To be perfectly honest, she's not exactly my girlfriend yet.
Please post photos of yourself. We all want to see if you have the "look".
The Call Of K2 Lou · · Squamish, BC · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 20
Everyone gets that look under jailhouse lighting.
Addem Bursh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 845

I think he's hot

Jonathan Cunha · · Bolinas, CA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 65

The orange jumpsuit definitely helps give one "the look"

He is definitely still in Colorado Springs and is currently using a cane. Saw him in a local restaurant tonight.

sherb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 60

Hahahah I like the comment that the orange jumpsuit helps give one "the look."

Are you sure you're spotting the right guy? He looks completely different in every picture yet always looks like a generic white guy to me.

Ana Tine wrote:Hahahah I like the comment that the orange jumpsuit helps give one "the look." Are you sure you're spotting the right guy? He looks completely different in every picture yet always looks like a generic white guy to me.
Positive. My friend confirmed it. Also, and this'll kill you, he was playing some bullshit scam with the bartender saying how he was broke. I've met him before and had coffee with him in a group, so I can recognize him pretty well. It has been four months or so, but I still remembered the voice, too. He didn't recognize me, however, and tried to chat us up.

I wonder if he is still telling people his fiance and parents were killed in a car accident. Never happened.
Mr. Wonderful · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 10

Regardless of the gentleman's ethics and character, You have just set yourself up for a nice libel lawsuit, if the gentleman could find a lawyer to take the case.

Dylan B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 938
Mr. Wonderful wrote:Regardless of the gentleman's ethics and character, You have just set yourself up for a nice libel lawsuit, if the gentleman could find a lawyer to take the case.
To win a libel lawsuit, in addition to showing actual damages, you have to show that the statements were false, that the speaker knew the statements were false, and that they were uttered maliciously. It's virtually impossible to win except in cases where a person engages in a knowingly false smear campaign.
Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

The Cousin Eddie, is what they should call that look

Mr. Wonderful wrote:Regardless of the gentleman's ethics and character, You have just set yourself up for a nice libel lawsuit, if the gentleman could find a lawyer to take the case.
Perhaps you also slither around anonymously doing assorted predatory things to strangers and rely on such fears to keep your own secrets safe? Go fuck yourself Elanor.

Anyone here remember mtngeo on rockclimbing.com? Remember that fiasco? You probably do if he swindled you out of money, too. This aint our first rodeo.
R. Moran · · Moab , UT · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 140
Ana Tine wrote:Hahahah I like the comment that the orange jumpsuit helps give one "the look." Are you sure you're spotting the right guy? He looks completely different in every picture yet always looks like a generic white guy to me.
All them damn white people look the same to me.
Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
R. Moran wrote: damn white people
I know right?
Mr. Wonderful · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 10
Stich wrote: nothing of any intelligence.
Hey Stickhead.

Thanks for reminding me of what a waste of time this website has become now that the twits and dooshbagues have taken over and clogged up the bandwidth whining and personal problems. I should be ashamed for even looking at this pathetic post to begin with.
Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 95
Stich wrote: Perhaps you also slither around anonymously doing assorted predatory things to strangers and rely on such fears to keep your own secrets safe? Go fuck yourself Elanor. Anyone here remember mtngeo on rockclimbing.com? Remember that fiasco? You probably do if he swindled you out of money, too. This aint our first rodeo.
Oldskool cred. Don't forget tgreene, either! There have been a few scams over the past few years; the anonymity of the internet combined with the generosity and close-knit nature of climbing makes it not that difficult.
T Roper · · DC,VA,NM,UT,CT,MA · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 860
Pnelson wrote: the anonymity of the internet combined with the generosity and close-knit nature of climbing makes it not that difficult.
Goes for Mormons too, some of the best scammers join up with the local ward and manage to bleed half the ward dry within 2 months just because everyone is so trusting from within
Eliot Augusto · · Boulder, CO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 60
Dylan B. wrote: To win a libel lawsuit, in addition to showing actual damages, you have to show that the statements were false, that the speaker knew the statements were false, and that they were uttered maliciously. It's virtually impossible to win except in cases where a person engages in a knowingly false smear campaign.
On top of that, most cases are centered around the fact that the party who insults the other has some form of financial or social gain. E.g. - Chris Kyle and his book describing a false scenario with a former senator(I think its a senator).
Dylan B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 938
Eliot Augusto wrote: On top of that, most cases are centered around the fact that the party who insults the other has some form of financial or social gain. E.g. - Chris Kyle and his book describing a false scenario with a former senator(I think its a senator).
That's not an element that the plaintiff has to prove for a libel suit to succeed in any jurisdiction that I'm aware of. However, that the defendant had pecuniary gain is evidence that would support a jury inference that the defendant knew the information to be false, and that it was uttered maliciously. Or rather the converse: if he had nothing to gain, it seems less likely that the defendant knew the utterance was false unless malice is clear from other evidence.

Of course, there are different standards for public and private individuals. It is actually more difficult to libel or defame a public figure because they have put themselves out in public and are voluntarily subject to the whims of public discourse. IIRC, private individuals do not have to show malice to win a defamation suit, though malice may be necessary for punitive damages, and of course, actual damages for private individuals who have been defamed are typically nominal.

The private/public distinction is going to be suffering a great deal of challenge in our new media landscape where everyone with an internet connection is more public than we used to be. I wonder how long the distinction will hold?
Mr. Wonderful wrote: Hey Stickhead. Thanks for reminding me of what a waste of time this website has become
That's really rich coming from a troll account. What's your real name, anyway? Don't bother, just leave.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply