Mountain Project Logo

Joshua Tree "Cookie Cutter"

Original Post
Jay Jones · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

Hey everyone! Glad to be here. I am part of a group that will be up in Joshua Tree this weekend and I'm trying to locate the "Cookie Cutter" close to Jumbo Rocks. I believe that's what it's called, as that's what I was told a couple of years ago when I was last there. Can anyone point me in the direction or tell me where it is in comparison to the Jumbo Rocks campground. I can't seem to find it on the interactive map.

Thanks a bunch

T. Brumme · · denver, co · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 230

I believe you're referencing the CHASM OF DOOM, but I'm sorry I can't help you. The only way to experience the CHASM OF DOOM is to be taken through it by someone else. I'll be out there in 2 weeks and would be happy to guide you through it if you're still there.

responded

Jay Jones wrote:responded
Not sure if this means you messaged me or something else, but I haven't gotten a message.
RTM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 385

why the heck would the Chasm of Doom be called the Cookie Cutter, which by the way is nowhere near Jumbo Rocks?

I have not heard of this Cookie Cutter, but I am curious to know what it is! Is it an unusually shaped rock? Details, please.

I've heard reference to the squeeze section of the chasm being called the "cookie oven". Thinking he either got names/locations mixed up, or there actually is something called the "cookie cutter" out near jumbo rocks.

HI RTM, i was told the name of it was cookie cutter a couple of years back, so that's what I was going off of. and it wasn't right by Jumbo Rocks, but within a few minutes drive. We stayed at Jumbo Rocks, so I was merely going off of the information I was provided.

I did track track it down and it is just across from HVCG

Joseph Churchman · · Bend, OR · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

The Chasm of Doom chooses YOU!

RTM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 385

thanks guys! Its hard to keep up on all JT rumors. I once ran into a dood pacing back and forth in "Real" Hidden Valley parking. He said he was looking for the Chasm Of Doom, so I pointed out where the entrance to it was, he immediately dismissed my info, saying that the Chasm he was talking about was at ground level. He was probably talking about the "other" Chasm of Doom at Hall of Horrors.

Incidently, I know of a rock formation that looks like a bottle opener. And Aguille De Joshua Tree kinda looks like a can opener.

Chris Norwood · · San Diego, CA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 80
RTM wrote:thanks guys! Its hard to keep up on all JT rumors. I once ran into a dood pacing back and forth in "Real" Hidden Valley parking. He said he was looking for the Chasm Of Doom, so I pointed out where the entrance to it was, he immediately dismissed my info, saying that the Chasm he was talking about was at ground level. He was probably talking about the "other" Chasm of Doom at Hall of Horrors. Incidently, I know of a rock formation that looks like a bottle opener. And Aguille De Joshua Tree kinda looks like a can opener.
Well...the entrance to the chasm is at ground level if you go through it backwards! ;)
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Joshua Tree "Cookie Cutter""
in the Southern California