Mountain Project Logo

WA ice?

TWrenO · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0

Anyone have suggestions on the best areas to ice crag around Mt. Baker? I've never been to the area before. I saw that Peregrine Expeditions runs ice climbing classes all winter, so there must be something available close to the roads (peregrineexpeditions.com/mt…).

I'm planning on being up in the Mt. Baker area in a couple of weeks visiting friends, so if there was easy access I was hoping to sneak a half-day or day of ice in as well.

Marlin Thorman · · Spokane, WA · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 471

Nick, I think everything in eastern WA and northern ID is mostly melted out. Copper Falls is good if it is in, but the temperatures are just too warm. Probably western MT around the Libby or Missoula area would be the closest ice that is in. Current weather forecast isn't too promising though with freezing levels rising to 10,000+ feet and temps in the 40s!

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 662
Marlin Thorman wrote:Nick, I think everything in eastern WA and northern ID is mostly melted out. Copper Falls is good if it is in, but the temperatures are just too warm. Probably western MT around the Libby or Missoula area would be the closest ice that is in. Current weather forecast isn't too promising though with freezing levels rising to 10,000+ feet and temps in the 40s!
Thanks Marlin. I did copper last year, fun climb but I agree that there is no way it's in now! I think I'm going to have to make a run to Hyalite or Canmore soon. Dying for ice!!!
J.C. Penny · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 15

Dam dam dam!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "WA ice?"