Mountain Project Logo

Old people climbing

Original Post
Dara · · Peep's republic · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 21

Got to talking with my partner the other day about old guys who are still climbing....he could only come up with one name, Henry Barber, who is "just" 61 (and in my book not all that old).
So people of MP: Do you know climbers older than Henry who are still at it? I imagine there have lots of stories and a little wisdom to share.

Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

Fred Beckey is 91 and still climbing. I also shared a campsite at Maple with a guy who was 73 and sending 12s.

S. Neoh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 35

Haven't you heard? 60's is the new 40's these days. Even mentioned on NPR!
I know quite a few folks over 60 and still going at it hard! Their 'secret'?
Know when to quit, lots of rest, stay fit, healthy living in general, and avoiding getting injured. Injury is the surest setback once one is over 40 or 45.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Hermann Gollner, 5.13a at age 71.

rockandice.com/lates-news/r…

Micah Klesick · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 3,971

Jim Opdycke, from Portland area is 72 I think. Still climbing. He was one of the first in the area to really start developing climbing at Beacon rock back in the day.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Lee Sheftel climbs regularly at Rifle and is over 60. He redpointed his first 14a when he was 59.

Rich Goldstone (Gunks) is still climbing and is approaching 70.

Carol Kotchek · · Louisville, CO · Joined Jul 2002 · Points: 323

George Lowe, I won't say how old he is so as not to embarrass him but... very much past 60. A couple months ago he went to Red Rocks. In 5 days did Rainbow Wall, Epenphran, and another multi pitch 5-11.
Him and Donini tried to be the oldest team to do the Nose in a day last year. They didn't make it but they did do the Nose in a 32 hour push.

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090

At my suggestion, Nick bumped the age options on the personal page up from 80 to 99. Now I can put my real age :) Just in the people I know of, there are lots of people climbing well in their 60s, and quite a few in their 70s (or at least they look like they are in their 70s)

Nick Grant · · Tamworth, NH · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 424

The oldest climber I know is New Hampshire and Quincy Quarries demi-god, John Strand. His birth certificate says mid-50's, but his body is at least 100 years old. Luckily, he's replacing it piece by piece: hips, knees, ankles, heart — you name it!

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

I know a guy named Mike from PDX in his late 70's still climbing. It's embarassing, shows up in khakis and a collared shirt worth more than a bipatterned rope and sends the gnar.

And dude, "old people" is not the proper nomenclature.

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0
S. Neoh wrote: Know when to quit
I need to learn that...
Jon Miller on the WS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 15

Bob Culp is in his mid 70's and still guiding and climbing strong.

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526
Marc801 wrote:Rich Goldstone (Gunks) is still climbing and is approaching 70.
Actually, 71 in about a month, and going on 58 years of climbing, but who's counting?

That said, I ain't no Donini, and 5.13 is not gonna happen either.
frankstoneline · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 30
mediocre wrote:And dude, "old people" is not the proper nomenclature.
'person of stately vintage,' please.
Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

Allen Steck is in his mid 80s and is still climbing. Mostly in the gym.

Donini and Lowe are barely in to their 70s - they have had done enough embarrassing things that being 70 is the least of it.

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526
frankstoneline wrote: 'person of stately vintage,' please.
Which means, when we exercise our well-earned curmudgeonly rights, our rants are fine whine.

Allen Sanderson wrote:Allen Steck is in his mid 80s and is still climbing. Mostly in the gym. Donini and Lowe are barely in to their 70s - they have had done enough embarrassing things that being 70 is the least of it.
Way back when Steck was still a youthful 70 or so, he made a repeat ascent of the Salathe-Steck, a decidedly non-gym-like undertaking.
Aerili · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 1,875

While I somewhat object to your title phrasing, I will share this photo with you anyway. :)

Taken last Friday in Utah - George Lowe stated he was 70.

On the summit of Jah Man with Dr. George Lowe, his partner Rick, and my partner Johnny October 2014

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Also at the Gunks, Burt Angrist, still climbing at 78.

Paul Ross · · Keswick, Cumbria · Joined Apr 2001 · Points: 22,236
Dara wrote:Got to talking with my partner the other day about old guys who are still climbing....he could only come up with one name, Henry Barber, who is "just" 61 (and in my book not all that old). So people of MP: Do you know climbers older than Henry who are still at it? I imagine there have lots of stories and a little wisdom to share.
Certainly here in the UK there are many climbers well in their 50's 60's and quite a few in their 70's like myself ,my last FA in Utah before escaping back to the UK was at 76. Actually here in the UK one often finds more older climbers on the trad crags than the young lads as like in the States the youth seem to prefer the shorter sport routes or bouldering.Henry B is relatively young at 61 but I have not heard of him climbing anything of relevance in the last two decades.Quite a waste of his past talent.Donini I'm sure is still showing how its done in Indian Creek,and of course Beckey who is something else who was very young active lad when in his seventies.Plenty of alcohol at the desert camps also helps one to stay young.
Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 50

Fred Beckey is pretty amazing. Glad to hear about the "old people" who still climb.
I'm 58 & still enjoy climbing. I climb mostly moderate trad and sport routes. I'm usually (at least) twice the age of all the other climbers at the crags, so it's good to know I'm not even close to the age of some of the guys listed in this forum....

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203
rgold wrote:Way back when Steck was still a youthful 70 or so, he made a repeat ascent of the Salathe-Steck, a decidedly non-gym-like undertaking.
Yes, he did that at age 70 with two good friends, Brutus and Inez. IRCC they also did the East Buttress. A few years latter Inez and I did Kor Ingel on Castleton with Allen. He even lead the last pitch. Nothing like bagging a classic with the Steckster.

Should also note that Beckey stills skis …
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Old people climbing"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started