Mountain Project Logo

Boulder: Car Camping?

Original Post
Elias Jordan · · Mazama, WA · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 136

Hey everyone,

My buddy and I are going to be in Boulder for the next 12 days for some AMGA Courses. We'll be out most of the week climbing but are looking for a place to park the car to sleep and cook. Whats the best idea for car camping out there? We'll be spending most of our time in Boulder Canyon and some time in Eldo, but need to be in town most evenings.

Also, would anyone maybe be up to letting us park in their driveway? We're both certified guides and would be happy to go out and belay you on your proj. and bring the beer or cook dinner.

Thanks!
Elias

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

I wish we could sticky this topic.

Here's a link to the thread where I copied a bunch of other links.

mountainproject.com/v/campi…

Also a quick search will probably get you a bunch more threads in the first few pages as well.

Elias Jordan · · Mazama, WA · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 136

Thanks Scott, and everyone else for your messages!

We've been hanging in out up in the brisk and beautiful Nederland area. It does seem as through theres an abundance of camping nearby, one just need to be proactive and look at BLM, NFS, and city maps. Thanks again guys, and possibly see you around town! If you see two dirty guys that don't look like they belong at the fancy coffee shop filled with nicely dressed people, thats probably us, say hi!

Elias

Elias wrote:Thanks Scott, and everyone else for your messages! We've been hanging in out up in the brisk and beautiful Nederland area. It does seem as through theres an abundance of camping nearby, one just need to be proactive and look at BLM, NFS, and city maps. Thanks again guys, and possibly see you around town! If you see two dirty guys that don't look like they belong at the fancy coffee shop filled with nicely dressed people, thats probably us, say hi! Elias
You can go down the peak to peak (hwy 7) towards estes leaving Ned and there's tons of camping out on the fireroads on either side.
Jim6565 Brassell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0

From a previous post:

- 7.2 mi N of Nederland on CO72, mile marker 40(about .25mi S of Gold Hill road),is a NFSR 328 that has established camping at the RUBY Gulch area. It is free and is part of the Four Mile Creek drainage. If you have a high clearance ride, you can camp down next to the stream. If not there are places closer to CO72.

- Gordon Gulch campground, I believe it is also free. Directions are: From Nederland, head north on Colorado Highway 72 for five miles and turn east onto NFSR 226 (this turnoff is 1/2 mile north of milepost 37). Numbered campsites are located along NFSR's 226, 314, 228 and 233 and their off-shoots.

-Kelly Dahl, not the best place as it is a $10/night place with about 40 spaces. Directions: Approximately four miles south of Nederland, Colorado, on Colorado Highway (CO) 119, watch for the entrance to Kelly Dahl Campground on the east side of the highway at mile-marker 22. (The entrance is approximately two miles north of Rollinsville on Colorado Highway 119.). Usually open in late May

- West Magnolia, better Known as a mountain biking area. It has established sites. Directions:From Nederland, head south on Colorado Highway 119 for 2.8 miles. Turn west onto County Road 132W. Limited parking is available just off of the highway, or continue one mile west and turn south through the second Forest Service gate to the main trailhead parking area. West Magnolia is a dispersed, multiple-use area. Twenty-two numbered, designated campsites are scattered along NFSR 355 and its offshoots within one mile of CR 132W. Camping is permitted in designated sites only.

These are all car camping areas. My favorite is Ruby Gulch

Rocko · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 5

tagged for justice

ahibert · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 25

Elias,

I am driving up to CO around the 23rd or 24th from Arizona as well. Will you still be climbing? I am aiming for Boulder but open to ideas.

Side note: going to the Flagstaff beerfest Saturday?

Alex

good pro · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 25

all these spots are almost certainly illegal

Aaron Mojica · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 55

I've been working on trails in Eldo the past few weeks, doing the truck grubber thing. I've been staying in White Ranch Park, a Jeffco open space near Golden. There's free walk-in camping, I fill out a camping permit and just stay in my truck in the parking area/TH. Nice place, quiet during the week, 15 minutes off of 93.

good pro wrote:all these spots are almost certainly illegal
?????

Nope Eleanor
ale xando · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Are these sites still legit in 2017?

sherb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 60
Elias Jordan wrote: Thanks again guys, and possibly see you around town! If you see two dirty guys that don't look like they belong at the fancy coffee shop filled with nicely dressed people, thats probably us, say hi! Elias

I know this is an old post, but there are tons of dirty guys in coffee shops. It's the clean ones who don't fit in.

Just a note that their is quiet a movement growing that wants to shut down camping on West Magnolia in Ned thanks to the transient issue.  The garbage piles, unattended fires and now agressive behavior is proving too much.  

So wherever you go please respect the local communities.  And if you are car / van camping in a neighborhood take note people are watching.  Don't expect to leave you vehicle and not get the wheels tagged. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Boulder: Car Camping?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started