Mountain Project Logo

Best Cordless Power Drill for Bolting on Lead

Phillip M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0
I'm not hearing much Hilti. Those are the best rock drill in general, but the Panasonic EY78 is probably the best drill for bolting on lead ever made. Perfectly balanced!
nbrown · · originally WNC, now Broomfield · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 6,782
Phillip M wrote:
I'm not hearing much Hilti. Those are the best rock drill in general, but the Panasonic EY78 is probably the best drill for bolting on lead ever made. Perfectly balanced!

A couple of us in Carolina used this extensively for a few years. I agree, best drill for overhead drilling that I've seen.  

Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39

Cordless and powerful!

solitudeclimber · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 0

Here to pile on, I’m looking to “upgrade” my 20-year-old Hilti to a newer rotary hammer drill.  For transparency I’m also looking to upgrade my home tools and go to a newer battery base, so I’m hoping it all goes together.

Brands ruled out:
Bosch due to the lack of a home tool combo kit – if I was buying just for bolting I recognize the bulldog is tried and true
Dewalt due to over quality when compared to the rest (my opinion)

That said I am torn between Milwaukee and Makita.

Milwaukee
M18 Fuel 1” SDS Plus Brushless Rotary Hammer
Model: 2712-20
Weight 7lbs (I think this is without the battery)
Link: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Concrete/SDS-Plus/2712-20
Supposedly superior battery performance

Makita
18V LXT Sub-Compact 11/16” Brushless Rotary Hammer
Model # XRH06ZB
Weight: 4.6lbs WITH battery (not sure which one though as that would affect weight)
Link: makitatools.com/products/de…

I will mainly be bolting limestone and have a few routes to finish lead bolting.  Prefer to rap bolt as I believe I produce better quality routes.

I’ve seen minimal feedback on the new Makita (however the weight difference is remarkable), and no climber feedback on the Milwaukee M18.  Does anyone out there have any recent experience?   I’ve seen a fair amount of positive responses on the M12, and they are a lot lighter than the M18’s, wondering the if M18 is going to be overkill (weight and drill performance).

Thanks for your feedback.

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 111
solitudeclimber wrote: Here to pile on, I’m looking to “upgrade” my 20-year-old Hilti to a newer rotary hammer drill.  For transparency I’m also looking to upgrade my home tools and go to a newer battery base, so I’m hoping it all goes together.

Brands ruled out:
Bosch due to the lack of a home tool combo kit – if I was buying just for bolting I recognize the bulldog is tried and true
Dewalt due to over quality when compared to the rest (my opinion)

That said I am torn between Milwaukee and Makita.

Milwaukee
M18 Fuel 1” SDS Plus Brushless Rotary Hammer
Model: 2712-20
Weight 7lbs (I think this is without the battery)
Link: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Concrete/SDS-Plus/2712-20
Supposedly superior battery performance

Makita
18V LXT Sub-Compact 11/16” Brushless Rotary Hammer
Model # XRH06ZB
Weight: 4.6lbs WITH battery (not sure which one though as that would affect weight)
Link: makitatools.com/products/de…

I will mainly be bolting limestone and have a few routes to finish lead bolting.  Prefer to rap bolt as I believe I produce better quality routes.

I’ve seen minimal feedback on the new Makita (however the weight difference is remarkable), and no climber feedback on the Milwaukee M18.  Does anyone out there have any recent experience?   I’ve seen a fair amount of positive responses on the M12, and they are a lot lighter than the M18’s, wondering the if M18 is going to be overkill (weight and drill performance).

Thanks for your feedback.

I haven't used either BUT, particularly for rap bolting you want to look up how many Joules of energy goes into each strike of the hammer and weight of the drill itself is very, very much a part of that energy transfer.

I was considering the 18V Bosch for awhile and used one for a few bolts and is IS super light and compact...but it only puts out ~1.0 J of energy per strike (I think the Millwaukee is the same) so it is noticeably slower to drill holes. I also think that will affect the longevity of the drill (it works harder to do less). It remains an ideal drill for fast and light missions (like the Makita might) or drilling on lead potentially.

I went with this Dewalt which was only $259 with 2 4.0 ampH batteries on Amazon:

Because it puts out 2.6 J per strike and drills up to 1/2" in granite like butta (its rated to 1" and the others only 1/2" which is indicative of their power, about half this Dewalt). The less compact geometry may be contributing to this (but its not an issue rap bolting). I can't comment on Dewalt quality yet, but I certainly would put Millwaukee at the very top, imo.

So, for rap bolting I would suggest a drill that has better power and some heft. I think you are gonna get a lot more mileage out of your batteries and longevity of the tool.
Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39

One of my partners has the M18. It's worked out very well for us. Both in volcanic (duh) and hard granite. I've personally used it ground up TR (GriGri jugging) and TR Solo (as if on lead) but, not on real lead. I'm not sure which M18 model he has, however. We've done some glueins up to 5/8, that's all I know.

bernard wolfe · · birmingham, al · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 170

saw a more compact Dewalt model at Amazon.  Shopper Q/A says this model delivers 2.1J mechanical hammering energy per the 5amp battery.  Anybody familiar or have experience with this tool?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WG75AKA/?coliid=I1R0T4ZKFS0CF6&colid=WVRN0W5PL3A7&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Best Cordless Power Drill for Bolting on Lead"