Mountain Project Logo

I got shot down on a return to rei today...

Robert Hernandez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 15
Mike wrote:

The amount of misinformation in your posting seems deliberate.

Just FYI sales at REI were 2.78 billion in 2018.... Not profits. Big difference.

Also this really cool thing called google still shows several shops stocking climbing gear in NM.

At least according to this webpage. Communities do see money back from REI: REI's stewardship report.  And if you don't trust REI ask the AAC, the Access Fund, LNT, ect.

lol to a google search that turned up the smoking Ashes of a formerly dynamic but now burnt industry barely holding on. Most of those business are tourist shops at best, primarily selling women's clothing and tee shirts.

Their policies benefit themselves. They are a business, and their bottom line is profit. So they only grossed a billion last year, my point is still the same. It's never gonna be returned to the communities who spent it, they dominate the market, and they are a perfect representation of disgusting capitalist consumerism through and through. From their baiting and switching, to the very policy they used to bait and switch which promoted plastic waste on a massive scale, to their own cheap ass clothing line that falls apart quickly.

They are the most laughable cooperatives I have ever seen. They are worse in nearly every way than the small business they put out, and now as a result we have a population of Walmart warrior climbers that garble corporate Cox and don't even realize why their speech is slurred.
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Robert Hernandez wrote: 

lol to a google search that turned up the smoking Ashes of a formerly dynamic but now burnt industry barely holding on. Most of those business are tourist shops at best, primarily selling women's clothing and tee shirts.

Their policies benefit themselves. They are a business, and their bottom line is profit. So they only grossed a billion last year, my point is still the same. It's never gonna be returned to the communities who spent it, they dominate the market, and they are a perfect representation of disgusting capitalist consumerism through and through. From their baiting and switching, to the very policy they used to bait and switch which promoted plastic waste on a massive scale, to their own cheap ass clothing line that falls apart quickly.

They are the most laughable cooperatives I have ever seen. They are worse in nearly every way than the small business they put out, and now as a result we have a population of Walmart warrior climbers that garble corporate Cox and don't even realize why their speech is slurred.
From: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/on-leadership/wp/2015/10/28/one-big-reason-rei-can-decide-to-skip-black-friday/
"It's also an example of something REI can do because it's one of the country's few large retail cooperatives and not a publicly traded company.
A cooperative, roughly defined, is a business that's owned not by shareholders but by members—people who use the business, such as its shoppers, producers or employees. In cooperatives, profits are treated as a surplus and are redistributed to members or reinvested in the business. And because the governing principle is to run the business in the best interests of their members, rather than shareholders, cooperatives tend to think in longer time horizons than the quarter-to-quarter whims of Wall Street."
I'm not going to try and change your negative view, but at least get your facts straight.

This post violated Guideline #1 and has been removed.
Michael Anthony · · NJ/Los Angeles · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 0
JeffL wrote:It was purchased... ...over a year ago.

I stopped reading right there. 

TravisJBurke · · Beratzhausen, DEU · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 65
grog m wrote:

I want to add on that REI also has no expertise. Can you imagine an REI employee hired for their hair color and voting preference giving advice on trad climbing? They don't know s#$t to put it bluntly. 

Are hair color and voting preference on the application?  I'm pretty sure they aren't but ya never know...

However, I'm not sure I would go to REI for trad advice...MP is probably the better source (wink!)

I once had a blowup pad from REI--there was a slow leak inside the actual nozzle. For multiple trips, I kept thinking it must have been temperature change or similar, until I spent two frozen nights on Mt Rainier, desperately trying to use duck tape to keep in the air.  I returned it to REI, and they didn't have the model--instead they gave me the newest model in exchange, which was a considerable upgrade.  I think maybe it just depends on the store...
Jesse Wees · · Boise · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 0
Ol Leatherhands wrote:

I think the point of this thread needs to get back on the track of paying homage JeffL's internet legacy.

Shame on you, JeffL. Shame.

Ol Leatherhands gets it!!

I met JeffL shortly after this thread was created, so I'll add my two cents 1) JeffL is an incredibly smart and talented person/climber. 2) His In-A-Day tick list will blow your mind. 3) Nothing on Mountain Project brings me more pleasure than seeing this thread live on in infamy! Burn baby burn!!! 

Sorry JeffL, but not really!
Marc801 C wrote: From: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/on-leadership/wp/2015/10/28/one-big-reason-rei-can-decide-to-skip-black-friday/I'm not going to try and change your negative view, but at least get your facts straight.

Great job repeating the advertising propaganda of the company, and you are confusing facts and opinions. So REI is good because they are not as bad as wallmart? That is a false dichomomy. Of course they do things to look good, so simple minded people think they are not doing bad and continuing to consume without hesitation.  Additionally, these propaganda advertisements of inclusion will exponentially make this sport more popular, and them more money, so it's all about their bottom line in every single way. Meanwhile, while their market share continues to grow, and their profits keep pouring in, the popularity they are creating to make mopney is threating the very resources that make outdoor sport possible. So no. They are not good. They encourage destruction of the environment, have put many a small business out of business, and their corporate wallmat structure has made the outdoor industry a sad shadow of itself. Because you can read advertisements does not mean they are the only side of the argument. And good job at  never addressing the actual subject of this thread, their lousy return policy that led to so much of this industry destruction. Of course you didn't, their tactics are indefensible if you believe in right and wrong. But if you just believe in money, it makes perfect sense.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "I got shot down on a return to rei today..."