Mountain Project Logo

Random bolt "anchors" above non-climbs - N Wasatch foothills

Original Post
Aerili · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 1,875

Can someone please explain this nonsense to me???

ChefMattThaner · · Lakewood, co · Joined May 2013 · Points: 246

Looks like someone wanted to get practice bolting while hanging to me

DrApnea · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 265

They are located behind the university hospital.
I saw them a few years ago but forgot about them. It looks like a good spot for TRing your kids. Thanks for posting. Even though your intent was not to get people to use them, I think this would be a perfect spot to take my 2.5 y/o and crank some low 5th class. Don't pull them please as they are not hurting anything and actually pretty out of sight for most people from what I recall even though they lok like an amateur placed them and the paint is sprayed directly on the rock.

CritConrad · · Bend, OR · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 646

next-level, futuristic top rope routes!

Oh and apparently it is already an area on MP hidden under Mt. Van Cott called University Wall. There is also a university bouldering
These were submitted in 2012 so those anchors likely have been there quite a while.

mountainproject.com/v/unive…

Sure, they definitely look like they are for drilling practice. But three of the six can't be used for anything, not even a kid's toprope. That seems like some good hardware going to waste. They also looked incredibly new; I am surprised to hear they are 2 years old.

Unfortunately this area had so much trash I can't say I would want to take little kids there. I packed out 8 beer cans, 3 cig butts, 1 water bottle, and a bunch of broken glass. There is infinitely more broken glass everywhere...as well as, strangely, loads of glitter.

NickinCO · · colorado · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 155

loads of glitter? Sounds like maybe the hospital/fire rescue has used it for rescue scenarios in the past?

ChefMattThaner · · Lakewood, co · Joined May 2013 · Points: 246
NickinCO wrote:loads of glitter? Sounds like maybe the hospital/fire rescue has used it for rescue scenarios in the past?
+1 usually the best explanation for this at the bottom of a crag, especially on this very practice model of a crag from the sounds of it.
Tommy Barker · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 75

It is also could be a good spot to teach people how to set up a top rope/clean an anchor. I have used some similar anchors on Pete's rock for that.

glass and glitter sounds like a good route name

DrApnea wrote:glass and glitter sounds like a good route name
Glass and Glitter and Broken Dreams! And PBR cans....

What kind of rescue equipment sheds glitter? I have been involved in a rescue (a real one). There was no glitter.
NickinCO · · colorado · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 155
Aerili wrote: Glass and Glitter and Broken Dreams! And PBR cans.... What kind of rescue equipment sheds glitter? I have been involved in a rescue (a real one). There was no glitter.
Moulage kits / make-up people carry glitter for fake patients. I've been involved in a lot of rescues… matter of fact I get paid for it. (real ones). ;)
Tristan Higbee · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 2,970
DrApnea wrote:Oh and apparently it is already an area on MP hidden under Mt. Van Cott called University Wall. There is also a university bouldering These were submitted in 2012 so those anchors likely have been there quite a while. mountainproject.com/v/unive…
I'm the one that submitted the area in 2012. I'm pretty sure none of these bolts or anchors were there then.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Random bolt "anchors" above non-climbs - N Wasa…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started