Mountain Project Logo

What Girls think about climbing with dudes

Matthew Blevin · · Keene Valley, NY · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0
GMBurns wrote:WHR ranged from 0.52 to 1.15 (mean = 0.78, SD = 0.12), allowing considerable scope to test for an intermediate optimum value. The peak attractiveness is indeed intermediate, at a WHR of 0.75, close to the figure of 0.7...Having lived in several different countries, it's clear to me that attractiveness is purely subjective and completely based on culture
It's clear to me that chicks in several different countries have been seriously creeped out by you reducing them to some sort of mathematical equation.
Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,639
D.Buffum wrote: Not "everyone."
Fair enough. Not "everyone"- only a vast majority. For you feminist respect jedis with tact and etiquette oozing from every pore, and can completely disregard attractive female form to the degree of it not even catching your eye, I bestow upon you my most sincere reverence.
chuffnugget · · Bolder, CO · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 0

^^^ (((golf clap))).

Exactly my thoughts on the 'male feminists' that I was having trouble putting into words without sexist euphemisms.

Paula C · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 20
Short Beta wrote:Thanks for immediately proving the point I just made
LOL :D That was perfect. I'm going climbing...
Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 23,206
GMBurns wrote: A lot of that still sounds like conditioning. While I won't disagree with a woman being supposedly more attractive during certain periods, I'll disagree that anything to do with earning potential, for example, is anything subconsciously natural.
Sure - a lot if conditioning, and a lot is not - like I said, science has separated some of it and is debating much of the rest.
Don't discount too quickly the 'earning potential' thing. An example of this is simply asking women to rate the physical attractiveness (not desire to date) pictures of 'this lawyer from Boorkshire' or 'this artist from Hamden' or 'this teacher from Middlesex (hahahha)' etc... and the attractiveness was somewhat correlated to earnings expectations. The study established that this was, indeed, precognitive. Now, it is obvious that the association of earning potential to the career is conditioned, the link to the perceived attractiveness to the precognitive association with security and ability to provide... that might not be so much...
Birds and Lizards select mates based on dance and color... or ability to build a good nest. The females of both mammalian and highernon-mammalian species (IE birds) select mates based on the ability of the male to provide even token (non-useful) objects. That's NOT conditioned and many others pick based on the ability to provide food or shelter (dens, hollows, territories, etc). Where and how do propose that they condition that in? Science says: innate preference for good providers.

BTW- the study on HWR you read is not the end of that story... Lots of work since then, although I guess it was not 'new' and might not be so wide spread. There have been various other articles and such published. I imagine you can find them if you look more broadly than Oxford. But one of the key findings was that the desired size of the woman might vary quite a bit, but the WHR was centered in the same area for most populations across time (if we allow art to guide us to what the tastes of a period are, we can time-travel).

When taking a position on this, please recall that I neither said that it is conditioned to look at women (I said that evidence suggests that not doing so was a 'conditioning out' of an innate tendency/motivation- as the entire animal kingdom looks, if not leers leers) nor did I say that particular active or behavioral manifestations are innate, I said certain tendencies or motivations are. What I said was that there are 2 factors, and science has done a reasonably good job of establishing that.

The things I have argued against are that leering is a "biological imperative" and that all this stuff is conditioned in, or at least conditionally influenced (the scent thing -- obviously not, and I doubt the arched back attraction or preference for flushed cheeks/swollen lips either).
chuffnugget · · Bolder, CO · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 0
jeb013 · · Portland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 10

Has anyone else noticed that there has only been one post by a woman in the last 2 pages of this nonsense, and that was to laugh at this ridiculousness and say she was going climbing. I think I am going to follow her lead and abandon this sorry excuse of a discussion and go climb.

you all were entertaining for a couple of days though and I thank you for that.

jeb

J Q · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 50
Tony B wrote: Uh. And the attention center drives action or behavior in your life? That explains a few things. .
The attention center drives behavior in everyone's life you self righteous twit. When your attention is drawn to a stimulus you take notice of that stimulus, especially if that stimulus has driven human reproductive behavior since the beginning of time.

You don't understand the nature nurture relationship, so there is no point addressing your nonsensical rant.

End result is, if you don't want people looking at your ass don't wear an outfit that shows it.

It would be much easier to condition yourself to wear loose fitting cloths while climbing than to condition guys to stop looking.

When I take my shirt off both guys and girls stare, because I am fucking ripped like beast. I never blame the people looking at me cause if I put my shirt back on, there would be nothing for them to look at.

We have placed importance on our sight in order to fight, flee, and fuck.

We will continue to notice things like tits and ass, well after we are conditioned to feel humiliation for looking at them.
Short Beta · · Troy, MI · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 45

I'm a lady too and I'm stuck at work, otherwise I would be climbing! ;)

jeb013 · · Portland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 10
Short Beta wrote:I'm a lady too and I'm stuck at work, otherwise I would be climbing! ;)
My apologies but I think my point was still valid. I have 45 minutes left till work is done and the car is already packed.

You all have a wonderful weekend, climb hard and for those of us in the PNW try and stay dry.

jeb
iceman777 · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 60
Dylan B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 521
J Q wrote: The attention center drives behavior in everyone's life you self righteous twit. When your attention is drawn to a stimulus you take notice of that stimulus, especially if that stimulus has driven human reproductive behavior since the beginning of time. You don't understand the nature nurture relationship, so there is no point addressing your nonsensical rant. End result is, if you don't want people looking at your ass don't wear an outfit that shows it. It would be much easier to condition yourself to wear loose fitting cloths while climbing than to condition guys to stop looking. When I take my shirt off both guys and girls stare, because I am fucking ripped like beast. I never blame the people looking at me cause if I put my shirt back on, there would be nothing for them to look at. We have placed importance on our sight in order to fight, flee, and fuck. We will continue to notice things like tits and ass, well after we are conditioned to feel humiliation for looking at them.
We get it. You're a helpless brute incapable of controlling your basest instincts.

Earlier in this thread I accused you of not caring enough to learn manners. I take it back. I'll take your words at face value that you're incapable of learning not to stare at T&A. After all, I'm not able to see into your mind to determine what you can or cannot do. I have to take your word for it. According to you, you lack the facility to learn self-restraint. So it must be.
Matt N · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 287

I just wish there was cell service in the creek so I could stay abreast of this thread next week.

I have a feeling, when I get back that it'll be too long with 25% missing posts to catch up.

Clifton Santiago · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

Fuck Feminists. Wait, don't. I mean do if they want to. In writing. Be adult about it, communicate. Damn, I should have known that wouldn't work.

Senior Hernandez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 15
D.Buffum wrote: We get it. You're a helpless brute incapable of controlling your basest instincts. Earlier in this thread I accused you of not caring enough to learn manners. I take it back. I'll take your words at face value that you're incapable of learning not to stare at T&A. After all, I'm not able to see into your mind to determine what you can or cannot do. I have to take your word for it. According to you, you lack the facility to learn self-restraint. So it must be.
And you seem to be a drama queen from the universe of attention suck. We get it, you love to show off your body while climbing so people look, that way you can get even more attention when you complain.

Nice.
dosboy · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0
yay drama and bickering!!!!!!!!
Matt N · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 287
Senior Hernandez wrote: And you seem to be a drama queen from the universe of attention suck. We get it, you love to show off your body while climbing so people look, that way you can get even more attention when you complain. Nice.
Perhaps I'm not the only one who has been assuming that D.Buffum was female for quite a while until clicking on his profile?

I'm thinking either: we've been well devils-advocate-trolled, or he is going for empathy pu$$y. (name of my new emo band)
Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 23,206
J Q wrote: The attention center drives behavior in everyone's life you self righteous twit. When your attention is drawn to a stimulus you take notice of that stimulus, especially if that stimulus has driven human reproductive behavior since the beginning of time.
Ah ha. JQ do you believe in a stimulus-response model for human behavior? Attention, yes, but are you:
A) So freaking stupid you still confuse attention with behavior?
or
B) So freaking stupid you just can't read what is being discussed?
I've had better and more intellectual conversations with a 2 year old. Seriously. But I like kids- they are still growing. However, tomorrow YOU will be the same freaking idiot.

Because if you insist that there is a nurture side to things, then the only possible place to go with that, would be that you could CONDITION the response to that stimulus.

Really, I don't have any other questions for you. May your relationships with women bring you all that you deserve...
AST · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 0

Everyone knows that women dress sexy (be it at the club, the gym, or to the mall) to impress *other women*. They also like it if they get male attention. But only if the guy looking is also attractive to them. If he isn't, then he's automatically a "creeper".

P. S. Tony B wins the Pontificator of the year award. My god.

David Liao · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 0

Things that girls say that piss me off

1. “That move is so reachy.” And yet there were three possible footholds that you could have stepped up with.
2. “I’m scared” I was scared too but I took a fall and found that it was safe. Suck it up and try it.
3. “I don’t want to lift weights because I don’t want to get man muscles.” Have fun climbing V4s the rest of your life.
4. “I can’t do a single pull up” like it’s some kind of badge of honor. Try harder. And keep trying. I can’t do a single one-arm pull up but that doesn’t keep me from trying until one day I can.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "What Girls think about climbing with dudes"
in the Community Forum