Mountain Project Logo

New: Star Ratings for Photos and more

Alex Bury · · Ojai, CA · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 2,351

So the title photo for a certain area I maintain has shifted on its own to another photo. Not sure if this is a new problem, I thought this problem was already addressed. How can I secure the title photo for an area I submitted and keep it from changing?
Thx

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,110

Just saying here too, about the slideshow' pics. I can't react fast enough to stop and enlarge, see the one I like. Can't find it on the selection. I bring up the whole 'slideshow ' selection and 7 or so scroll by but not the one I just saw. how do you find them now, how fast does some random group of 'slideshow pics go on and off the front page. It's not anywhere as user friendly as the old version of viewing the front page pic and backing up, or moving forward to find a pic you missed. Frustrating.

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,415
Nick Wilder wrote: Thanks for you thoughts Kennoyce. Every design decision has to balance users that are new to the site versus old pros. In this case, random (or new) photos were often quite bad, while the highest rated photos are remarkable. Because I want new users to be aware of our amazing content, I set it up this way. For more experienced users like yourself, you are just one click away from what you want: on that page of highest rated photos, click one of the options in the "Sort By" list near the top of the page.
Right, I don't think I got the message across that I wanted to. The problem is that I want to be able to see more than just 500 top rated photos, but I don't want to see just random photos either. I want to be able to continue looking at top rated photos beyond the first 500, but there's no way to do this that I can see. I'd like to see a "front page photos" category that I can click on, because there are way more front page photos than what's in the top rated photos, and generally speaking, the front page photos are still pretty good. From what I can tell, you are limited to showing 500 photos in any category, that's why I'd like it to be a random selection of the front page photos that I'd be able to see so that each time I click on the "front page photos" tab I'd get a different 500 photo slice.

I was just thinking that putting this random good photo selection for the main page might be a good idea so that you don't always get the same photos every time you click the photos tab, but obviously it's not a big deal to click on a link to them, and you know the user base better than I do.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountain Project News
Post a Reply to "New: Star Ratings for Photos and more"