doligo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 264

A stick clip?

Rob Dillon · · Tamarisk Clearing · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 775

Stick clip with chained aiders?

camhead · · Vandalia, Appalachia · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,240

Stickclip and a gri gri.

gf9318 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0
Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746

Tie the rope to an anchor on the ground, use a locker on the first bolt too, then lead it with a Gri Gri (or the like). No aid required!

frankstoneline · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 30

go fourth and pussy-pole for the stars my son!

Daniel Winder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 101

How are you getting up the route at all without a ground anchor? Bring a LONG stick (telescoping painter's pole) and you should be able to skip bolts. If the bolts are close, aid it like you would any other bolt ladder.

Jason Halladay · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 15,158
John Wilder wrote:Stick clip the first two bolts with knots on locking carabiners, jug up, do any anchor adjustment you need to, then stick clip up the route with a jumar and a grigri- unless you want to climb in between bolts, which is fine if the moves arent too bad. I'm lazy, though. Fix the line, rap off the other side, then do what you like. Make sure to feed a bunch of slack down the draw side of the rope with this method so you have enough rope to get back to the ground.
This.

As for stickclip setup:
  • Ettore 4.8ft to 16ft pole - Well constructed, easy to deploy and a small 4.8 ft when stored.
  • Superclip - Super simple (unlike the squid), can easily clip the rope into a hanging draw, can easily unclip draws from bolts.
cdec · · SLC, UT · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 654

frankstoneline,
Never heard it called that in the 16 years I've been climbing. Awesome!
Thanks for the laugh.

JeffL · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 65

How about rope soloing or free soloing (gasp!) an easier route that has a ground anchor available. Then when you're at the top, walking over to the climb you want to top rope.

Best solution is to find or make more friends who will belay you and work routes with you.

Brian · · North Kingstown, RI · Joined Sep 2001 · Points: 804

Just use the handles. That is why they're there. Although, I don't know why they don't make the handles bigger so you can get your whole hand in there instead of just one finger. ?? And put them closer together so you don't have to reach so far.

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Brian wrote:Just use the handles. That is why they're there. Although, I don't know why they don't make the handles bigger so you can get your whole hand in there instead of just one finger. ?? And put them closer together so you don't have to reach so far.
I mean if you cant even get your draw on the small handle and pull on the silver jug of joy maybe its time to stay inside. or are we talking about inside?

choose choss, i like that
don'tchuffonme · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 26
frankstoneline wrote:go fourth and pussy-pole for the stars my son!
If he's the fourth guy up, I imagine he could just jug a line and forego the pussy pole. Oh, you meant forth.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to ""

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started