Mountain Project Logo

I need a pack recommendation

NC Rock Climber · · The Oven, AKA Phoenix · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 60
Jonah Klein wrote:...Case -N- point the Go Ruck GR2. This pack is designed for special forces, by special forces, and cost more than most…
I am not a Military guy and not trying to claim any "special forces" association, other than knowing two guys that were recon marines. Their comment regarding packs was that all the "teams" were sporting either Mystery Ranch or Kifaru. These packs are way heavy, but had a level of durability that was significantly greater than your typical rec or alpine pack. I own a HUGE Muster Ranch due to my buddies input. It is a tank, very heavy and in no way suitable for climbing. However, if you need to carry a bunch of weight, it rocks.
Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

McHale.... give him a call... yes, thats the way he likes it. Have a talk about what you want and what you dont want in a pack he will make it for you.

The only problem... his stuff will last forever. I have a pack he made for me like 20 years ago, one that had to beable to lug up to 90 lbs, had to be haulable (some) had to get small so you can climb with it on, squeeze through tight spots....

anyway... the man makes custom packs

Deuter makes good off the shelf packs.

MRock · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 10

The mystery ranch black jack in in my dreams for a ski tour pack, that is a nicely designed pack. Too bad it's 750+$

crackers · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 0
Cale Hoopes wrote:Geeze. Seriously, at this point you should just buy a pack and go climbing. "Disqualifiers" WTF. If any of those 3 made a good pack I'd look at it. Honestly, I've used my Osprey way more than my Cilo on multipitch Ice routes. Any of those packs mentioned would work for you. What about this spawns a 5 page threaded discussion?!!?!??!
I don't know, but this is absolutely hilarious.
John luddite · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0

Hi,

I saw your post and thought I'd recomend one of our packs from Crux. We make a AK-47x, which is 47 liters, a bit bigger than your looking for but we have a a AK37 coming back out this spring. These packs are made out of a kevlar/cordura fabric rom Scholler. easy to strip down and very light considering the burly fabrics and the frame. the AK 47-x weighs in at 2 lbs, 9 oz.

you can see all the specs here: crux.us.com/product/ak47-x

Any questions feel free to contact me at cruxusa@gmail.com

Thanks

JC

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "I need a pack recommendation"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started