Mountain Project Logo

Weed at the crag

England · · ? · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 260

I smoked the weed for more than a decade, I'm done with that. Now I have a problem with alcohol... I would have to stay away from all of that, and live a clean life. Alcohol has consumed way to many of my years in this life. Take it or leave it!!!!!!

ChefMattThaner · · Lakewood, co · Joined May 2013 · Points: 248
Leo Paik wrote:One thing to consider on smoking marijuana in public environments is the potential infringement upon those around you. For some folks, their professions, jobs, or employers may have strict regulations for job retainment that can cause loss of employment and income for such substances found upon testing. For some others, their particular situation may be jeopardized due drug screening for other reasons. So consider others' situations when burning marijuana at the crags.
Leo while this is an extremely valid concern for those with professions relying on passing drug screening, this is something that is a serious misnomer and needs to be corrected.

Not only does the majority percentage of THC (the chemical that is tested for in drug tests) get absorbed by the user on the first inhale. But THC also becomes denatured almost immediately when it becomes exposed to the oxygen in our atmosphere(when exhaled). Like BethHux mentioned the whole second hand high is truly not possible in the wide expanse of nature that is crags we are climbing on. There have been numerous tests all concluding that second hand high in an area much larger than a phone booth is next to impossible.

In closing, if all these people worried about failing drug tests because of faint wofts of smoke blowing your way, then how come none of you have ever been popped on a drug test??? I mean if you climb with any regularity outdoors, at least in most places I have been, you are most assuredly to come across a rogue pot smoking group from time to time.
Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,110

cold and damp outside,,,,lousy day at the crag,,,only thing that would make it tolerable and ease the pain would be a nice weed break for 20 min. Then you might get some warmth to give your project a 'go, or just sit back and look at the route for another hour discussing if the crimps are gonna work instead of the undercling. Smoke a bit more, decisions, decisions.....

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,475

There are two things that most people could improve upon to make this a non-issue. 1) Realize that not everyone has the same perspective as you and try to be as courteous as possible. 2) Worry less about what other people are doing and more about your own party and situation.

The answers to most problems are simpler than we like to think. The problem is the execution of the solution, not the solution itself.

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Cmon dude.. I don't wanna execute the problem. That guys really cool man. Isn't he the one who plays the guiter on Thursday nights?

Clifton Santiago · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0
Jake Jones wrote:There are two things that most people could improve upon to make this a non-issue. 1) Realize that not everyone has the same perspective as you and try to be as courteous as possible. 2) Worry less about what other people are doing and more about your own party and situation. The answers to most problems are simpler than we like to think. The problem is the execution of the solution, not the solution itself.
Dr. Grinspoon?
s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,348
Kirby1013 wrote: That's a really interesting thought.. So true that people will drink around kids and act a fool but marijuana is frowned upon around anyone. I find the hypocritic will tell the pot smokers to go off somewhere while they've got a beer in their hand. The drinkers are always trouble while pot smokers are usually mellow.
I've always found it strange that some parents will get shitfaced on alcohol in front of their kids but if you walk out on their deck at a party to spark up they throw a fit.

As far as combining weed and alcohol this has been done forever just not publicly. Next time your in a bar you can be sure a large percentage of the people around you smoked up before they got there and if staying any amount of time will make a couple of trips outside to smoke again. With the new smoking technology you don't even have to step outside anymore. That pen you think is an alternative cig may just be for herb.

Next time you see someone eating what appears to be an energy bar at the crag they may be just getting high.
TheBirdman Friedman · · Eldorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 65

Weed at the crags, dogs at the crag, booze at the crag, foul language at the crag, whatever at the crag; it's all the same.

Be respectful of those around you and understand that other people do not share your view. Nobody is going to mind if you take a quick puff and don't make a scene of it. On the other hand, hauling a bong, screaming about how high you are, and blowing smoke in people's faces is bound to piss people off. Nobody ever has a problem with a well behaved, leashed crag dog, it's the one that cause problems. Nobody has a problem with someone respectfully enjoying an adult beverage, but if you bring your beer funnel or are ripping shots and calling attention to yourself, it's going to piss someone off. I feel like it's a fundamental tenet of being a decent person. If there are small children at the crag, duck around the corner to smoke weed. If someone tells you it's bothering them, just take it a little farther away. If someone tries to lecture you about how dangerous your behavior is simply tell them that is an issue for you and your partner.

As for climbing with someone who is stoned, it's totally an individual assessment. For those of you who have never smoked weed and claim you would never climb with someone who was stoned, I'd offer this. Would you climb with someone who was drinking a beer? Would you climb with someone who just learned to belay? It's all about the individual and frankly, I'll take the guy who has been belaying stoned for years over the newbie who just learned to use a gri-gri.

I think these discussions are funny. Considering climbers are generally considered social outcasts and represent counter culture, it goes without saying that they are generally tolerant of any type of behavior as long it doesn't affect them. Just exercise a little bit of judgment, some common sense, and be respectful of others and you won't have a problem. It really doesn't seem that hard.

StonEmber · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 35

If you bring shwag to the crag, WE HAVE REAL PROBLEMS....we have to set an example for our children by bringing our best!!!

Wear the beanie and crush those lines, no matter what your preference is. Funny how those that smoke don't bitch about those that don't smoke......just don't drop your partner and pay attention....

Tom-onator · · trollfreesociety · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 790
TheBirdman wrote:Weed at the crags, dogs at the crag, booze at the crag, foul language at the crag, whatever at the crag; it's all the same. Be respectful of those around you and understand that other people do not share your view. Nobody is going to mind if you take a quick puff and don't make a scene of it. On the other hand, hauling a bong, screaming about how high you are, and blowing smoke in people's faces is bound to piss people off. Nobody ever has a problem with a well behaved, leashed crag dog, it's the one that cause problems. Nobody has a problem with someone respectfully enjoying an adult beverage, but if you bring your beer funnel or are ripping shots and calling attention to yourself, it's going to piss someone off. I feel like it's a fundamental tenet of being a decent person. If there are small children at the crag, duck around the corner to smoke weed. If someone tells you it's bothering them, just take it a little farther away. If someone tries to lecture you about how dangerous your behavior is simply tell them that is an issue for you and your partner. As for climbing with someone who is stoned, it's totally an individual assessment. For those of you who have never smoked weed and claim you would never climb with someone who was stoned, I'd offer this. Would you climb with someone who was drinking a beer? Would you climb with someone who just learned to belay? It's all about the individual and frankly, I'll take the guy who has been belaying stoned for years over the newbie who just learned to use a gri-gri. I think these discussions are funny. Considering climbers are generally considered social outcasts and represent counter culture, it goes without saying that they are generally tolerant of any type of behavior as long it doesn't affect them. Just exercise a little bit of judgment, some common sense, and be respectful of others and you won't have a problem. It really doesn't seem that hard.
What say you Judges?

10, 9.8, 9.8, 10, 10, 9.9, 10, 10, 9.8, 10, 10, 9.8

Fuckin nailed it!!
saguaro sandy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 140

Birdman, very mature response. Personally I would choose a noob on Gri gri over a stoner or a be layer with beer. When I encountered weed and cigarette smokers at the crags in Colorado I told them that it bothered me to smell their smoke while I am trying to focus on sending my route. I got giggles in responce...and douce bag behavior. I am foul mouthed when I am working a hard move sometimes but I do watch it if I see kids at the crag.

TheBirdman Friedman · · Eldorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 65
vivica jones wrote:Birdman, very mature response. Personally I would choose a noob on Gri gri over a stoner or a be layer with beer. When I encountered weed and cigarette smokers at the crags in Colorado I told them that it bothered me to smell their smoke while I am trying to focus on sending my route. I got giggles in responce...and douce bag behavior. I am foul mouthed when I am working a hard move sometimes but I do watch it if I see kids at the crag.
Totally anecdotal here but in my experience, newbies with a Gri-Gri are 1000x more dangerous than a experienced belayer using an intoxicant that they frequently use. If it's there first time smoking weed, it might be different but generally speaking nothing is more dangerous than a newbie belayer.

In response to the douchey behavior when you asked them to be respectful, all I can say is don't paint everyone who smokes with a broad brush. There are disrespectful sober people too. I'd contend you don't notice the respectful smokers because they don't make a scene of it.
The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460

Birdman is spot on. However, I've been climbing for quite some time now, quite extensively in 10 different states in various regions of the country, and I honestly can't say that I've ever seen the use of marijuana or alcohol at the crag taken to the more egregious extents that you list. I've never seen a bong (for beer or weed) at a crag, and even when parties are annoying in other ways (spraying beta, cursing loudly, blaring music), when those same people break out a pipe or a beer, it's usually done with no more inconvenience to me than someone eating a sandwich next to me and my partner.

I think the issue of smelling smoke is an unfair one to level towards a marijuana user at the crag. It's outdoors, there's wind, the smell of even to most pungent weed just doesn't stay around that long.

I think this Vivica Jones person is simply trolling this thread. She'd rather have a noob on a gri gri give her a catch than have an experienced climber who's a little high give her the belay? Huh, that just seems to be an opinion that is based more on personal bias than reality. But hey, that's her choice. I just personally

Abram Herman · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 20
vivica jones wrote: It's worse than tv when it comes to making you dumb.
Since we've established that you don't smoke, I guess you must watch a *LOT* of TV...?

vivica jones wrote: Like I said you all my future patients keep using drugs, smoking weed and boozing....it's job security for me!
You're responsible for the mental health of others? That's a terrifying thought.
Leo Paik · · Westminster, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 22,800

BethHux & ChefMattThaner, note in my post that I did not make any mention of "second hand high". Instead, I was noting the issue of testing positive on drug screens, which can detect cross-reacting substances, even if "denatured". Further, to say that most of the THC is absorbed when inhaled only addresses the percent that is inhaled, which is almost never 100% in my observations. Finally, there are times at sport-dominant crags where folks are belaying someone working a route and unable to move much to avoid the uninhaled second hand smoke that is a specific concern.

Leo Paik wrote:BethHux & ChefMattThaner, note in my post that I did not make any mention of "second hand high". Instead, I was noting the issue of testing positive on drug screens, which can detect cross-reacting substances, even if "denatured". Further, to say that most of the THC is absorbed when inhaled only addresses the percent that is inhaled, which is almost never 100% in my observations. Finally, there are times at sport-dominant crags where folks are belaying someone working a route and unable to move much to avoid the uninhaled second hand smoke that is a specific concern.
Ok so is there a single documented incident of someone failing a drug test because of second hand smoke exposure???

Myth: Exposure to second hand marijuana (THC) smoke can yield a positive test result.

Truth:

Passive exposure to a drug can make it appear in your urine, but actual consumption of the drug makes it appear at a much higher concentration. To avoid the argument that a positive result is due to passive contact, cut-off levels have been established. These cut-off levels are set to make it virtually impossible for a specimen to screen positive from passive contact. In the case of THC, it has been shown that subjects can be exposed to extreme, uncomfortable levels of second-hand smoke for long periods of time without registering a positive urine test at the 50 ng/ml screening cutoff level.

For more information and references on this subject, please visit: href=”norchemlab.com/passive-inha…;”>this linkTOP
Leo Paik · · Westminster, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 22,800

ChefMattThaner, just to be clear, your source cites levels up to 30ng/ml detected in urine from passive marijuana smoke inhalation in a test, presumably with normal hydration status. Urine concentration varies depending upon hydration status, which is often dry when climbing with climbers. 50ng/ml is cited as an arbitrary cutoff used. 15ng/ml is cited as a follow-up test cutoff. Clinical experience has shown individuals with positive THC tests with second hand marijuana inhalation.

There are other considerations, too, like some individuals do not want lung irritants and resultant coughing for subjective reasons.

The point of this is to be considerate to others around who may not want to inhale second hand marijuana smoke in public locations. It's really a matter of respecting others while out climbing.

saguaro sandy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 140

Leo, thank you! Finally a reasonable thought!
no, I am not responsible for mental health of others. The only person whose mental health I could be liable for is my boyfriend, frankly. My patients already come crazy and I do not make any clinical decisions, only follow doctor's orders and report my assessments. I like it that way.

J1. · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 790
Leo Paik wrote:ChefMattThaner, just to be clear, your source cites levels up to 30ng/ml detected in urine from passive marijuana smoke inhalation in a test, presumably with normal hydration status. Urine concentration varies depending upon hydration status, which is often dry when climbing with climbers. 50ng/ml is cited as an arbitrary cutoff used. 15ng/ml is cited as a follow-up test cutoff. Clinical experience has shown individuals with positive THC tests with second hand marijuana inhalation. There are other considerations, too, like some individuals do not want lung irritants and resultant coughing for subjective reasons. The point of this is to be considerate to others around who may not want to inhale second hand marijuana smoke in public locations. It's really a matter of respecting others while out climbing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blQSkyCNATY
Leo Paik wrote:ChefMattThaner, just to be clear, your source cites levels up to 30ng/ml detected in urine from passive marijuana smoke inhalation in a test, presumably with normal hydration status. Urine concentration varies depending upon hydration status, which is often dry when climbing with climbers. 50ng/ml is cited as an arbitrary cutoff used. 15ng/ml is cited as a follow-up test cutoff. Clinical experience has shown individuals with positive THC tests with second hand marijuana inhalation. There are other considerations, too, like some individuals do not want lung irritants and resultant coughing for subjective reasons. The point of this is to be considerate to others around who may not want to inhale second hand marijuana smoke in public locations. It's really a matter of respecting others while out climbing.
As the post above reaffirms you are wrong wrong wrong on your first paragraph. To your second and third; my girlfriend is allergic to bananas and gets uncomfortably nauseas at the smell of bananas. There are many things at the crag that bother many people. I hate small children at the crag more than anything. Yet I allow these things to go on all the time. If you personally have a problem with someone smoking around you then ask them to stop. Myself and everyone I know would gladly hold off till later. Or at the very least move to a new location.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Weed at the crag"
in the General Climbing