Mountain Project Logo

Climber shot in WYO

Original Post
Jeff Thilking · · Lynchburg, VA · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 65

Climbing Mag:
A climber was shot outside his tent in Ten Sleep, Wyoming, this past Monday around 2 a.m. No info on his condition at the moment, but we're following up for more details.

climbing.com/news/climber-s…

My apologies if this has already been posted, couldn't find it in the forum. This makes me sick, but no real details yet.

Petsfed · · Laramie, WY · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 905

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

I'm really hoping for more details. Hopefully, the victim recovers quickly and the perp is caught just as quickly.

Jon Zucco · · Denver, CO · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 245

Fuck that. Not cool. Hope everyone's OK...

· · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Jon Zucco wrote:Hope everyone's OK...
"Life Flight" would indicate otherwise.
James Glover · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 5

According to this update the climber is in stable condition.

Climber Shot in Ten Sleep

I can't imagine getting shot out camping and climbing, hope they catch the shooter.

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,110

Time for climbers to arm themselves? Post a night watch over your camp, armed to the teeth. Tossing a big cam or #11 hex at the enemy won't do anymore.

Price wrote: "Life Flight" would indicate otherwise.
Yes, but 'OK' as in 'not dead' was my hope. Glad to hear he is in stable condition. Wonder what, if anything, provoked the shooter.

Price wrote: Time for climbers to arm themselves?
I know plenty of climbers that already do. Heavily.
mitchy B · · nunya gotdamn business. · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 0

Rednecks shooting guns at 2-3 am drunk and shit, big suprise there. Dumbasses don't when to STFU and tone down the party a little.

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
mitchy wrote:I ALWAYS pack heat at the crag and camping. Somebody wants to talk some smack, pistol whip their ass. That'll shut them the eff up and let them know you mean bitness. Then you get back to doin' your do.
What happens when the smack talker has an Atchisson Assault AA-12?
Cor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,460

JLP, MountainProject fourm tough (talk) guy stays at the pay site at the WOO?!?!

I thought you were tougher than that! ;D
(Guess that is why I have never seen ya at our parties.)

Sorden · · inside the Bubble, Colorado · Joined Sep 2003 · Points: 95
At that point, he felt something hit him in the chest and fell down. They didn’t hear a gunshot.

WTF?! Didn't hear the shot?! Suppressed sniper rifle in the dark (night vision?!)

Positive vibes out to this poor fella and his girlfriend.
highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

Redneck or meth head sure, that's just Wyoming.

I bet they were looking to rob stuff and I wouldn't be surprised they have taken stuff from the Ten Sleep camping a few times now. If he'd slept through it, he'd have lost something and been ok.

FWIW, the article said small caliber. A .22 pistol makes about the same amount of noise as a pellet gun. It makes less noise than my tailgate does when it opens.

Sucks any way it goes down.

mitchy B · · nunya gotdamn business. · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 0

I'd most likely see it on his approach and be a little more reserved, maybe offer him a cold one or something. When he's taking a sip and looking around BANG, butt of the pistola right on the eyebrow. Then make a little fun of him by saying "DAMN" that looks bad, might wanna get that looked at. Prolly could use some stitches.

Yeah, I guess it could've just been drunken target practice or ritual gun discharge. Didn't think about that. Shitty.

That would explain not hearing the shot. Shots were fired too far away for him to hear? Stray bullet hits him out of nowhere.

Maybe someone shot one round into the air, bullet has upward trajectory then slices back down over an arc?

I mean I hope it's some freak accident like that and no one was up to foul play. i.e.: stealing stuff, afraid to get caught, puts a bullet into someone...

mitchy wrote:I ALWAYS pack heat at the crag and camping. Somebody wants to talk some smack, pistol whip their ass. That'll shut them the eff up and let them know you mean bitness. Then you get back to doin' your do.
I've yet to find a comfy shoulder holster that fits well when carrying an over the shoulder trad rack. Maybe a small auto backup in an ankle holster, under the pantleg is the key to cliff line defense. Or have a buddy in sniper mode somewhere nearby when you climb.
Michael Dupont · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 35
20 kN wrote: What happens when the smack talker has an Atchisson Assault AA-12?
You're favorite character dies. That's what happens.
Petsfed · · Laramie, WY · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 905

To be clear, I don't think this is a Wyoming thing so much as a rural redneck thing. I've been in the line of fire at the parking lot for Cactus Cliff at Shelf Road before. It was probably unintentional, but scary nonetheless.

ErikaNW · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 145

'Rakness called the case "puzzling," and said investigators have no idea as to why it happened. From initial interviews with climbers in the area, nothing was wrong with the victim during earlier climbs, while eating dinner with another climber, or with the victim's personal relationship.'

What? Well, he hadn't been shot yet when he was climbing earlier in the day....

Skullybones · · Desert SW · Joined May 2013 · Points: 35
Woodchuck ATC wrote: I've yet to find a comfy shoulder holster that fits well when carrying an over the shoulder trad rack. Maybe a small auto backup in an ankle holster, under the pantleg is the key to cliff line defense. Or have a buddy in sniper mode somewhere nearby when you climb.
Snubby or small auto in the pocket with a good pocket holster.
Skullybones wrote: Snubby or small auto in the pocket with a good pocket holster.
I'm afraid the pocket gun would catch and get in the way of waist movements and harness fit. My little Grendel .380 holds 10, fits tight to ankle, and into the palm of my hand. Hammerless, hard pull double action.
Mark Pilate · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10

I don't need a gun...my mouth is a .44 mag with unlimited ammo

( 'course its safest to just shoot it off on the internet)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Climber shot in WYO"
in the Community Forum