Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

2 Climbers stranded on Longs Peak

Original Post
Ryan N · · Bellingham, WA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 195

If it was not worse already in Colorado with all of the flooding. Many of my friends and family live in and around Boulder. I'm re-posting this Spot message received from two climbers stuck on Longs Peak. I hope rescue gets to them soon. I read that the rescue cannot get there due to roads missing/closed-

2 Climbers Stranded Near Summit of Long's Peak

NEWS RELEASE
Two experienced backcountry travelers are stranded near the summit of Long’s Peak. The women sent the following request via SPOT yesterday (9/12/13) morning at 7:07 am MST.

"We need help. At top of longs peak. 13400 feet.
Whiteout snow storm call Emma backcountry office.
No injuries. Iced over risk of hypothermia.
On South ridge. Rocky mountain national park.
No battery. Yellow tent.
We are off trail. N 40° 15.106 feet West 105° 36.812 feet, Near the notch.
Can't move because of ice Storm, don't know how long it will last. Been here for 1 day trying to wait it out."

JCM · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 95

I'll try my best not to be insensitive to the situation, but... Why on earth would anyone think it a good idea to go up Longs Peak during this week we've been having?

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,402
JCM wrote:I'll try my best not to be insensitive to the situation, but... Why on earth would anyone think it a good idea to go up Longs Peak during this week we've been having?
It sounds to me because of the time of the SPOT that they were already up there when things went bad. They said they were already there since 9/11 which is when the bad weather came in, correct? ["1 day... trying to wait it out"]

It's safe to say the magnitude of this system and its impacts on the area were underestimated. I was watching the forecast all week and couldn't have fathomed the flooding that's taking place from what I was reading 2-3 days ago.

Not to be insensitive... but your reading comprehension/powers of observation needs some fine tuning.
Yonkonian Yonkers · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 15

His reading comprehension is fine. Its been raining almost nonstop since monday evening.

Paul-B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 115
JCM wrote:I'll try my best not to be insensitive to the situation, but... Why on earth would anyone think it a good idea to go up Longs Peak during this week we've been having?
You are, of course, right. Stupid decision, hard to feel sorry for them, however, it doesn't change their situation. We've all likely made a bad decision at times, most of us get lucky. If I made a stupid decision and got stranded, I would want the climbing community to figure out how to help me and not sit around and criticize my bad choices.

I have today and tomorrow off, and willing to try to help. However, not sure what could be done without a copter, as the road is out between Boulder and Lyons. If we could somehow get to the trailhead, perhaps we could bring ropes/pons/axes for them and help them get safely down. Not sure how that'd work though. If you have ideas I am happy to join in on a rescue attempt.
Ryan Nevius · · Chiang Mai, TH · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 898
Paul-B wrote:If I made a stupid decision and got stranded, I would want the climbing community to figure out how to help me and not sit around and criticize my bad choices.
Sounds like they need to pay for a heli.

It was my understanding things took a turn for the worse Wednesday, and that the (relatively light) rain prior was predicted and not supposed to be catastrophic. THEN things stalled and setup rain bands over the same areas Wednesday into Thursday (when the bulk of rain fell).

I don't think we can assume they knew that they were getting into, if that were the case everyone would have evacuted Boulder Wednesday morning. Just sayin' - hindsight is always 20/20.

Yonkonian Yonkers · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 15

#1 Your not gonna get a helicopter up to 13500' anywhere near longs peak right now because of the weather.
#2 Employees of RMNP, IE climbing rangers, le rangers, and others are currently trying to rescue these individuals.

Generic human · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0
Kevin Heckeler wrote:It was my understanding things took a turn for the worse Wednesday, and that the (relatively light) rain prior were predicted and not supposed to be catastrophic. I don't think we can assume they knew that they were getting into.
Yep, I'm fairly sure sure we can assume they had no idea what they were getting into.

Had they looked at a weather forcast they might have had a clue though.

Hope they get them down.
GEORDILIL · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0

Is the weather good enough for a heli? It looks awful out there.
Please take care, all you Coloradans.

Ryan N · · Bellingham, WA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 195

I'm sure more than a few of us have made mistakes before. The want/need for that summit overwhelms the best of us, and yes hind sight is 20/20.

Quitou · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0

I know one of these two women. She's a very accomplished backcountry traveler and a professional in the outdoor industry. Equipment designer, no less. I'm sure many of you use products she designed. No doubt the equipment they have is top notch, just maybe not suited for the extreme weather.

I'm a little surprised they went up, even on Wednesday with so many storms closing in. If I had to speculate...never a good idea...I'd suggest they had travel-summit-fever. You know how it is when you fly halfway across the country to bag a peak. The desire to not go home empty handed trumps common sense.

I've been on longs in mild storms an it sucked. Marching up there into this mess - very unwise mountain decision.

Taylor-B. · · Valdez, AK · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 3,060

They should send the P.J's up there, they could get the job done.

alaskadispatch.com/article/…

I hope that those ladies are OK and just having a grand adventure.

teece303 · · Highlands Ranch, CO · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 596

"Based on the rest of the message: inexperienced pussies."

Just shut up. Really.

The toxicity on this site is really lame sometimes.

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

They've got a tent and the weather will gradually improve over the next day. They'll be hungry, cold, and a little pissed but I think they'll be OK.

As long as they're smart enough to wait for better conditions anyway.

Eric Southerington · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 5
JLP wrote:If those coordinates are correct, they are smack in the middle of the trail between the Boulderfield campsites and Granite Pass. Based on the rest of the message: inexperienced pussies. I feel for them and hope they find safety, but crying for help and calling them experienced is ridiculous.
I think you are mistaken. The Boulderfield is north east of the summit. Those coordinates are on the south west side of the peak.
Timothy.Klein wrote:The toxicity on this site is really lame sometimes.
Internet rule #1 -- Don't feed the trolls.

Based on the coordinates in the OP...

2 climbers stranded on Long's Peak (9/12/13).

John Fatseas · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2011 · Points: 150
JLP wrote:Head up there in Jan sometime, you'll find a 1/2 dozen people wandering around in blizzard white-out 60-100 mph winds - just for the fun of it. Spot w/o life threatening injury = inexperienced pussy.
You're so tough dude!!!
Taylor-B. · · Valdez, AK · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 3,060

The majority of hypothermia cases occur in the "summer months."
Hypothermia is a very severe backcountry emergency. This is no time to be calling people pussies.

That image is from Google Maps via: 40.2517667, -105.6135333

I'm getting the same output when I input the coords into Google Earth in the original format: N40°15.106', W105°36.812'

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "2 Climbers stranded on Longs Peak"
in the Community Forum