Mountain Project Logo

Group camping at the New River Gorge

Original Post
Keegan McCormick · · Hixson, TN · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 20

Does anyone have any recommendations for campgrounds that have large group camping sites? The group I'm looking to bring down could potentially be a bit louder than a small, quiet, family-oriented campground would approve of, and I'm not looking to irritate neighboring campers. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

David Raines · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 10

I know there are a bunch of campgrounds run by the whitewater guiding services, and I *think* they will just rent out sites to the general public. That may be worth checking out... at least, my impression is that the folks going whitewater rafting are already notorious for being loud campers.

The main climbers campground (Chestnut Creek) is very nice, but the guy that runs it enforces his rules pretty assertively, and large groups tend to attract his attention. I just wouldn't go there with a group I thought would be up late drinking, it would be to frustrating.

Matt Hasenohr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 15
David Raines wrote:The main climbers campground (Chestnut Creek) is very nice, but the guy that runs it enforces his rules pretty assertively, and large groups tend to attract his attention. I just wouldn't go there with a group I thought would be up late drinking, it would be to frustrating.
That guy is crazy! You never knew when he was going to come out of the woods with an axe.
T Roper · · the gym · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 865

Riffrafters, good family/group place. Cabins & tents, same spot

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Group camping at the New River Gorge"
in the Southern States