Mountain Project Logo

Marking Gear

Woodson · · Park City, Ut. · Joined May 2009 · Points: 180
Buck Rio wrote:

I use bleach and/or battery acid to dye the slings, so I know which ones are mine.

Awesome idea for sure hahaha. 

Here’s a pattern I use: 

I use electrical tape on the thumb loops and the wire cover on Totems, plus nail polish on the stems and the top of the axle head on the C4’s. Subtle, but unmistakeable. Marking soft goods is not an option, chemically.

I have used a sharpie before, but the ink just rubs off way too quick. Especially after you handle the biners w sharpie ink, and it ends up getting your nylon/dyneema dirty from the rubbed off ink from your hands. Etching/engraving is also an option if you have a good hand. But, I’m not a fan of engraving aluminum. Just personal preference, I’m not sure if engraving compromises the integrity of the alloy, seeing that it is pretty thin to begin with. Microfractures!! ;) 
Danny Herrera · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 480

nail polish dots on sides of finger trigger

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

I spent a good chunk of last night during the snow event dabbing some orange (my color) fingernail polish on all of my biners, and removing the tape and gunk with acetone. I wore gloves.

None of the the tape on my nuts or cams seems to be coming off, so I will leave for now.

Side note: newer I Beam type biners have a natural groove for the nail polish to sit in along the spine, and should last a while. That and the fact I don't know or climb with anyone who has a bunch of DMM Alpha/Petzl Spirit carabiners, which are all I have except for racking, should keep all of my gear on my rack.

Mel on · · NJ · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Personally, I hate the look of tags/tape on gear. Nail polish is super easy, and discreet enough.

ebmudder · · Bronx, NY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 55
Buck Rio wrote: 
None of the the tape on my nuts or cams seems to be coming off, so I will leave for now.

You can easily find the solvent that works with a particular type of adhesive by googling...I found rubbing alcohol works well to remove duct tape residue.

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 523
ebmudder wrote:

You can easily find the solvent that works with a particular type of adhesive by googling...I found rubbing alcohol works well to remove duct tape residue.

Sure let's go put solvents all over our climbing gear. That's a great idea

ebmudder wrote:

Clarification....the tape is solid so I am leaving on my cams and nuts, whereas the tape on my biners was all peeling off, so I switched to FN polish

Sam Skovgaard · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 87

In Chongo's  "The Complete Book of Big Wall Climbing," he gives the quite clever advice to mark your gear with two dots of different color nail polish.  You can imagine two people coming up with the same idea to mark their gear with a little splotch of red nail polish.  If you did a dot of red polish next to a dot of white, the odds of climbing with someone else who picks the same two-color combo is extremely small.

Nate Beatty · · New York, NY · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0
Capt. Impatient wrote: I started a post similar to this. And was wondering about TESTORS enamel paint ( like for model cars) any thoughts?

I find this stuff works pretty well. Two colored stripes on each piece of gear, ideally in a grove. Pretty durable (and held up surprisingly well through my first ice season), but perhaps not quite as good as nail polish. I am committed to my current color scheme so I keep using the same enamel paint for any new gear.

eli poss wrote:

Sure let's go put solvents all over our climbing gear. That's a great idea

Sorry Eli, I was referring specifically to his issue with removing tape residue from hard goods like biners and cams. Isopropyl alcohol is good for removing duct tape residue and permanent marker.

ebmudder wrote:

Sorry Eli, I was referring specifically to his issue with removing tape residue from hard goods like biners and cams. Isopropyl alcohol is good for removing duct tape residue and permanent marker.

Acetone is fine on nylon, so is alcohol, but other solvents are not so friendly. But people shouldn't just go around putting random solvents from google around their climbing gear, even if it doesn't come into contact with any soft goods. I've seen hydrochloric acid in a beaker dissolve nylon before the nylon even touched the liquid. 

eli poss wrote:

Acetone is fine on nylon, so is alcohol, but other solvents are not so friendly. But people shouldn't just go around putting random solvents from google around their climbing gear, even if it doesn't come into contact with any soft goods. I've seen hydrochloric acid in a beaker dissolve nylon before the nylon even touched the liquid. 

maybe lemon juice and vinegar is safer ;)

James Cho · · Bellevue, WA · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 6

I googled "strongest nail polish" and found the brand "Sally Hansen Hard as Nails." It really is much stronger and lasts longer than other polishes on my gear, feels more plasticky and not rubbery.

Josh C · · Somewhere out West · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,120

I mark my gear with the damned souls of all the rad cracks I've crushed!

Josh Cameron wrote: I mark my gear with the damned souls of all the rad cracks I've crushed!

That's what I'm talkin' about...I mark my gear with the abandoned hopes and dreams of my followers who have to hang, realizing the absolute emptiness of their lives. It leaves a stain.

I'm on a call with some folks from the subcontinent, and for some reason I cannot understand a effing word they are saying!!! They are speaking English...
Matthew Rich · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

I was wondering if it would be detrimental to have the slings on cams embroidered with initials 

Matthew Rich wrote: I was wondering if it would be detrimental to have the slings on cams embroidered with initials 

probably not if you use a blunted needle. Or you could just use a water-based sharpie to write your initials. 

Josh C · · Somewhere out West · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,120
Buck Rio wrote:

I mark my gear with the abandoned hopes and dreams of my followers who have to hang, realizing the absolute emptiness of their lives. It leaves a stain.

I'm going to repeat this mantra to myself each morning I wake up.

Kent Pease · · Littleton, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 725

For cams with slings, I sew in a colored bar - a small versoin of a bar tack on the sling tail. It's discrete and will be there for the life of the cam.

Josh Cameron wrote:

I'm going to repeat this mantra to myself each morning I wake up.

Your location is also an acronym for the GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast, aka Mother Of All Bombs. MOAB.

I heard it liquefies your innards, causes micro fractures in your bones and sterility.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Marking Gear"