Mountain Project Logo

Conditions at Spearhead and Long's Peak

Original Post
EugeneK · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 95

Heading out to CO for the first time next week and planning on visting Spearhead and Long's Peak. How are the conditions this time of year - will I need traction, axes for the approach and descent?

WadeM · · Auburn, Ca · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 481
Longs Peak - June 30, 2013

Longs is good to go. North Chimney is wet, but easily climbable for the approach
acouncell · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 190

Spearhead is also dry. A light axe could be useful to ascend the final 100' of snow to gain the actual rock (depending on which route you're doing, ie Barb/Sykes) or you may choose to risk scratching up with a nut tool in one hand and sharp rock in the other. Slip-and-falls on steep snow are the #1 reason for Colorado SAR to get called out and is a crappy way to curtail your climbing season. More than one person has slipped on the steep snow gaining the N. Chimney on Longs and broken bones in the ensuing fall.

Elsewhere on Longs, snow gear is nice for the N. Face and Keyhole but it's possible to get to the summit via Keyhole right now by staying on rock if the water doesn't refreeze into verglass. Good luck!

Scot Hastings · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 35

To add to acouncell's post, my partner and I climbed the Cable Route last Tuesday (6/25). There was plenty of snow travel above the Boulder field. The technical section had some ice (verglass as well as some thicker stuff) and water in the morning on ascent and was a gushing stream on descent (around 1pm). Lots of ice under the snow, too, which made for some slippery conditions once the snow softened. We used crampons for most of the climb and mountain axes for the snow travel but kept the tech tools on the packs as there was plenty to grab onto.

FWIW, we saw several groups go through the Keyhole that day only to turn around shortly thereafter. From what we heard, there was still enough snow to make it scary. From the looks of it, things were melting pretty quickly, though. I wouldn't be surprised if it's dry now.

View of the North Face on Long's Peak (Cable Route) from the Boulderfield on 6/25/2013.

dameeser · · denver · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 271

This is spear head as of yesterday. There is some seepage but most of the routes are dry.

Spearhead.

Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 25

Wfscot - You didn't happen upon my nest of cams about a pitch above the top bolt didja? Left 2 camalots and a nut the Sunday before your climb (paid the price for a good deed in helping another team descend the snow).

Scot Hastings · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 35
Mark Pilate wrote:Wfscot - You didn't happen upon my nest of cams about a pitch above the top bolt didja? Left 2 camalots and a nut the Sunday before your climb (paid the price for a good deed in helping another team descend the snow).
Mark, I sadly did not. We went left pretty quickly after topping out on the technical section.

Sorry man! I would have loved to help you out.
Anunta Anunta · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 284

Anyone know if Broadway looked dry on Longs? Or how lambs couloir looked like? Thanks

Anfarwal- Broadway has to be in great shape as the low path was relatively dry and easy at end of June.

I'd imagine Lamb's is getting pretty hard and icy about now. It was perfect neve near end of June.

Bret Rhinesmith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 30
Upper Lamb's Slide.

Broadway in bloom.

Notch Couloir.

Lamb's Slide from Chasm View.
Lamb's Slide was in good condition on 11 Jul 2013 with no glacier ice showing yet and no rocks melting out. It was really warm, so conditions may change rapidly. We did not rope up nor put in any protection while ascending Lamb's slide. Broadway was dry to the Notch Coulior with some meltwater from the snowfield.

Hate to keep beating this horse, but Bret, assuming you descended the North Face, you didn't find any cams roughly a pitch above the top bolt did you?

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

probably want a raincoat....

Anunta Anunta · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 284

Thanks guys! Yeah, didn't go because of weather this past weekend. Hopefully it will still be ok in the next few weeks.

Bret Rhinesmith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 30

Mark, looked but didn't see any cams. Sorry.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Conditions at Spearhead and Long's Peak"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.