Mountain Project Logo

What are your climbing, "Pet Peeves"?

Tyler Taz · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2017 · Points: 10

People who bitch cause my squad smokes out and doesn't jam to zeppelin. O and people who bitch about my dog when he's well behaved.

Tori Dog · · Benicia, CA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 1

People that don't let significantly faster moving parties pass!

Travis Bieber · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 85

Not enough dogs at the crag.

Eli Buzzell · · Plymouth, NH · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 3,581

When it's Locs Only Crag Day and there are people at the crag that are clearly not Locs. What a disrespect. Didn't they get the memo?

TBlom · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 360

People that sleep in and then expect to pass.

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10
Cornelius Sale wrote: Intolerance, Bigotry, and MAGA hats

Dude, that's not a pet peeve, that is just basic human decency...

James W · · Texas · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 94
Cornelius Sale wrote: Intolerance, Bigotry, and MAGA hats

People's intolerance to MAGA hats. 

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,394
James W wrote:

People's intolerance to MAGA hats. 

We Stomp you We bring bats to hit you with

`

&

`

'

You bring your guns, seems fair.
Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain · · Las Vegas, Nevada and Apple… · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 121

This thread needs a bit of COSMetICs by COSMIC

Oh I thought this thread was about Pet porcupines
Insert name · · Hell · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 60
Suburban Roadside wrote:

We Stomp you We bring bats to hit you with

`

&

`

'

You bring your guns, seems fair.

Or how about everyone just doesn’t hit people for their stupid political beliefs. 

Artem Vasilyev · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 105
TBlom wrote: People that sleep in and then expect to pass.

...you don't let people who are quicker than you to pass? 

Hoo boy
R.Walters · · Sonora, CA · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 340
EFS wrote: im lost on the biners and chalk bags thing.....wtf are people talking about? connecting the bag to your harness with a biner? ive been doing that for over 30 years, simply because i usually attach my shoes and bag together with a carabiner through the heel loops to carry, so its easy to just clip it on the harness. a chalk bag belt is a pain in the ass to me though i did have one harness the bag was just tied to.

Just make sure to use a locker. 

EFS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 160

pet peeves: climbers who have to politically whine about shit constantly.....

Suburban Roadside wrote:     Sorry to whet your appetite. I was ticketed at "Watchung" in 1985 with DicAj Sloan.(and have run off before incident to many times to count)
Then the whole thing descended into madness.
In NJ, the Parks/"Greenways" are administered by County Free-Holders. A system that allows the county to be held negligent.
That & the potential cost to the town/county of any rescue/recovery & there is almost no chance of changing things. It has been going on, with the exception of""Allamuchy" & "Powerlinez, for    40 years!
"Green Pond"-Puddingstone, a quartz conglomerate; Start with the last 2 pages"
Go! There is no one out there enforcing anything & the politics are Indica-tive of a break...  
       i used to go to watchung a lot. it was pretty close to where i grew up. when the shitstorm came down and everyone started getting ousted from there, i only went there infrequently. i made the mistake of going in the fall once where you can see the cliff easily from the road. cop parked across the road near weldon and walked right through the river to come over. i thought i was getting ticketed for sure, it was me rope soloing and 2 other guys that were there belaying each other. i just played dumb like i hadnt heard you werent allowed to climb there any more. cop didnt say much at all, it was about 3:30 and i figured i was either getting screwed because he blatantly walked through the water getting his shoes and pants wet, or he did it purposely so he could get off his shift a bit early because he was wet. i think i went there once or twice after that a year later but in full summer when you cant see the wall from the road. parked by the pond instead of across the road and walked in from the top tho. he just quietly walked out with us after we packed up and left.

mills reservation used to be good too. similar cliff to watchung. wall was right by the end of a dead end street. the guy in the last house used to tell me to park right in front of his house if he saw me and go through his yard. he enjoyed watching us climb and would bring out his kids to watch too. never saw anything about no roped climbing allowed there but if you search about mills now it says it. not sure how new that is. easier to lead climb there than watchung, more spots for pro. now im in "climbing is illegal" hunterdon county and there are lots of spots no one knows about around here, especially boulders, plus easy access to PA also. remember, anything in hunterdon owned by the njdep is actually legal to climb if you fill out a waiver, and the county cant do squat about it.

never climbed allamuchy but have gone past it many times when i used to race hare scrambles up around stanhope. i do remember seeing shiny new bolts on that wall way back earlier than people think there were bolts there. never climbed powerlinez either. i do know about green pond.

R.Walters wrote:
Just make sure to use a locker. 
ok, next time, just for you.
John Penca · · North Little Rock · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Not a peeve, more just annoying.  Those that overuse "epic" and "awesome".

TrashPandas RMNP · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2020 · Points: 0

The couple that is clearly not having a good time and having lame arguments that we all have to listen too. Awkward

Also when ppl have no prior knowledge of cleaning anchors and they decide to learn at the top of the route by shouting to their partner for instruction.

Derek Field · · Sedona, AZ · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 5,291
John Penca wrote: Not a peeve, more just annoying.

Um, wut?

pkeds · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 30

Locals.

M Mobes · · ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 910
TrashPandas RMNP wrote: The couple that is clearly not having a good time and having lame arguments that we all have to listen too. Awkward

Also when ppl have no prior knowledge of cleaning anchors and they decide to learn at the top of the route by shouting to their partner for instruction.

The awkward couple, ha! Seen that so many times, usually one is freaking and the other is trying hard to not make a scene, usually having to do with completely getting shut down. The best is when it gets real quiet afterward.

The 6' tall beta shouting belayer and the freaked out 5' climber is always fun to watch as well, many times this coincides with the awkward couple.

The biggest pet peeve though has to be the spraying knowitalls who just cant shut the F up.

The overly self conscious types who fail on something easy and then go on to spraying about how hard they usually climb. Of course this coincides with the spraying knowitalls...
Farai Muchenje · · Joshua Tree / Oceanside · Joined May 2014 · Points: 5
This post violated Guideline #1 and has been removed.
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,620
{removed by Mods}

You must not be into the whole brevity thing either.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What are your climbing, "Pet Peeves"?"