Mountain Project Logo

What are your climbing, "Pet Peeves"?

Original Post
Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 2,269

Probably my biggest is dogs at the crags, followed closely by CD players blasting (Unless they're playing Led Zeppelin. Then it's OK!)

Ellenore Zimmerman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 75

at the crags, it's smoking and kids being loud. Dods running around bother me sometimes too, especially if they walk all over your rope and try to always sniff you. I love dogs , don't take me wrong, I had two for 15 years and used to take them at first climbing, but soon to realise that it was neither good for me or for the dogs.
At the gyms it's kids parties. I hate them. I understand that it is a necessary evil but I just wish they could just be fenced in somewhere hehe. I don't like when the gym is too hot and its impossible to breathe. I used to have a hard time during the peak times dealing with crowds, but now I am more tolerant of that I suppose, just gotto get the job done.

Boissal . · · Small Lake, UT · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 1,521

I had one of my best climbing days ever on Saturday. It involved 3 friends, my dog and the new speaker thingy I bought that blared all kinds of not LedZep all day. Gangsta rap, Justin Timberlake, you name it, we played it.

My pet peeve being other climbers, particularly those who happen to be giant bitches, I had a great time.

frankstoneline · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 20

Tick marks, particularly when they get left after a session. I think they are weak in the first place, but leaving them after you leave gets on my nerves quick. Lately I've been having more and more trouble controlling myself when people join me on something and proceed to start ticking holds, though I try and hold my tongue.

Camping inappropriately/non-discreetly or inconsiderately. The place I frequent, where I would consider my "home crag/area" there isnt a lot of accessible camping, let alone of the free variety. That said, it drives me nuts when I run across people camped in parking areas that are/have been marked as no camping areas. Additionally, lately in the large free spot, I've run into large groups (3 or 4 cars, probably 8 people) who take it upon themselves to camp in the (limited) parking space rather than walk 5 minutes to the obvious camping areas. The last 2 or 3 times I've encountered it, it makes a place that can absorb 12-15 cars worth of people only capable of housing maybe 8.

Lengthy toprope sessions on popular/high traffic routes. I understand that different folks have different ideas about what a day at the crag should look like, but it really grinds me when people post up a toprope on high demand routes. commonly this is a. the good warmup in the area or b. a popular route. I dont mind a party of 2 where the second cleans on toprope or whatever, but the mega session with 6 or 7 friends on the best/only warmup or one of the trade routes of an area is a pet peeve for sure.

I'm sure there are more, but those come to mind.

JesseT · · Portland, OR · Joined May 2011 · Points: 100

At the gym (bouldering): The 6-8 year old kid that runs up from out of nowhere and hops on the wall right in front of me as I'm pulling my hands out of my chalk bag and stepping toward the start hold. Wait, no, even more than that is the parent who sees this happen, comes over and apologizes sheepishly while simultaneously taking zero action whatsoever to correct their kid's bad manners.

Outdoors: People who set a toprope on a wall with limited routes, then mysteriously disappear for 20 minutes.

Tom-onator · · trollfreesociety · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 790

What really irks my shorts is when somebody's pet peeves all over my gear at the base of a route :-\

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880

All those people who keep asking me if they can touch it.

camhead · · Vandalia, Appalachia · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,240

Climbers who rappel off of sport routes.

Mike Lane wrote:All those people who keep asking me if they can touch it.
yea , I don't care about the tourists, and usually take my time when they stop me in my tracks and ask to touch my gear. I don't care if they take pictures or clap either. One day some punk kids were "coaching" from the ground which was quite annoying.
There was this one party at Mission Gorge of about 5 and only one of them climbed at a time on tr, so I started to lead this 8 trad, and they just got to me cos the conversation was so completely pointless and resembled that of Bevis and Butthead, so I turned around and made the bitchy remark...they did not stop right away but slowly quieted down after a little bit.

One more thing that is ridiculous is when a party of 5 or more show up with only one rope. Then they camp out at the base of the climb for hours top roping one route.

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880

When a guy gets a text from his wife that goes something like "pick up the dogshit in the backyard now!", and then packs up and bails.

chuffnugget · · Bolder, CO · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 0

What an awesome thread.

Darren Mabe · · Parks, AZ · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 4,070
camhead wrote:Climbers who rappel off of sport routes.
+1

a single quicklink on each hanger at a lower-off anchor. = kinky rope

similarly, when someone takes biners from a lower-off anchor without replacing them. Or even commenting on MP that there is a worn biner at an anchor that needs a new one.
J1 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 790

My pet peeve being other climbers, particularly those who happen to be giant bitches.

+1

Darren Mabe · · Parks, AZ · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 4,070

climbers who complain about:

• Indian Creek or Paradise Forks being too crowded and yet climb there anyway.
  • Outsiders at their 'secret crag'.
doug rouse · · Denver, CO. · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 660

A pile of toenails in staging areas...All the bouldering videos with the ghetto music in them...

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

the gumby belay police (when nothing is unsafely wrong)

and hiking peak baggers

any rack without tricams

dumbasses like ralston, hering, & bear griswold

and people with beer when I have none

robrobrobrob · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 10

It's not really a pet peeve... but I've noticed a correlation between people with COLOR printouts from Mountain Project, and groups I end up wanting to steer farther away from.

Not sure what it is about the color.....

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,794

Steamers in close proximity to a trail or wall. Human or canine. Indigenous animals get a pass.

Anyone that hits the crag in a group of more than 5 or 6 (other than youth groups). You should know better. If you don't, you're still an asshole. Ignorance isn't an excuse. Break up into smaller groups and branch out. You don't have to cup each others' sacks all day long.

People that want to talk all day long. I don't want to hear your funny anecdote about this TV show from 1997 that I told you I've never seen. Particularly when I'm on belay and ready to climb. It can wait 'til lunch or something, can't it?

People dangling their terrified and very reluctant children on a route for an hour while everyone else has to listen to sobbing from the kid and beta spray from the proud parent.

Dewshes.

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 420

People who set up a top rope on a route and then camp out on it for hours. People yelling at their dog. People yelling constant beta. Any and all sorts of litter, tape, cig butts, anything!

zenetopia · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 15

Climbers who complain about everything under the sun... climbers who complain more then they climb

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What are your climbing, "Pet Peeves"?"