Mountain Project Logo

That awkward moment when...

Original Post
safetyfourth · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 20

An 8 year old flashes your project.

William Sonoma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 3,550

You realize (possibly abruptly) that you and your partner both have different deas of what's safe and what's not.

Tom Mulholland · · #1 Cheese Producing State! · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 50

You realize that your partner didn't have you on belay for the whole last pitch. (happened to a friend of mine)

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883

...you fart at a belay and you get more than you expected.

Andy Laakmann · · Bend, OR · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,990
Greg D wrote:...you fart at a belay and you get more than you expected.
Also known as... the "gamble and lose".
Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883
Andy Laakmann wrote: Also known as... the "gamble and lose".
also know as the "Shart".
germsauce Epstein · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 55

you realize more than two shakes isn't always playing with it, and probably would have been a good idea.

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

When your partner comes up and wakes you up at the belay while you have them on belay.

Brendan Blanchard · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 590

You watch a very shaky climbing video, someone complains about how shaky it is, and the poster justifies the shaky video by saying they were belaying, so the footage is pretty good considering...

mtoensing · · AZ · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 705

You find out that guy she is climbing with is actually her boyfriend

Chase Leoncini · · San Diego, CA · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 297

"Hey! You got me!?"
"What!?"
"I'm gonna come on you!"
....giggity.

NC Rock Climber · · The Oven, AKA Phoenix · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 60

When you are done climbing for the day and ready to sit down in the car and your partner asks you to sit on a folded towel because there is a shit stain on the seat of your pants.

Chase Leoncini · · San Diego, CA · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 297
NC Rock Climber wrote:When you are done climbing for the day and ready to sit down in the car and your partner asks you to sit on a folded towel because there is a shit stain on the seat of your pants.
When you pee a little reading this.
Larry S · · Easton, PA · Joined May 2010 · Points: 872

...your partner has to climb around/over/behind you at a tiny belay ledge. So you flatten yourself against the wall to let him pass and he pauses behind you and whispers in your ear "just let it go..."

Jtorres · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 115

you're belaying the wife and hear the guy next to you yell up to his partner "untie and thread it through the hanger. I'll lower you!"

(solo'd up to him where he had been stuck for 30 min bc he clipped the hanger end biner on the draw and his knot had passed through along with a good portion of his shirt and shorts when I assume??? he got sketched and asked for a take and his buddy pulled him off the wall. Was a real clusterfu**) as I was headed up after him pissed as all hell I realized he had been crying on me on the way up

Tom Mulholland · · #1 Cheese Producing State! · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 50
Jtorres wrote:(solo'd up to him where he had been stuck for 30 min bc he clipped the hanger end biner on the draw and his knot had passed through along with a good portion of his shirt and shorts when I assume??? he got sketched and asked for a take and his buddy pulled him off the wall. Was a real clusterfu**)
Please explain this more, as it sounds amazing, but I don't picture the situation.
JesseT · · Portland, OR · Joined May 2011 · Points: 100

...you go for that high step and split your pants.

ROC · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 155

You are taking a pee at the top of a pitch thinking you are being careful and your partner below you yells up, "Dude, your camelback is leaking!"

Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 2,349

You sneeze and a booger shoots out of your nose on a first date.

(Actually happened to me)

kilonot · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 0
Locker wrote:You sneeze and a booger shoots out of your nose on a first date. (Actually happened to me)
Bonus points if it landed in her dish, on her food, on the table in front of her! X 3 if it hit her. X 10 if it hit her in the face.
Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 2,349

LOL! It fucking flew right by her head. I almost died laughing. So did she! Best part is, later that evening, the deed sealed the deal!

Lesson learned:

Sometimes you get lucky as shit, even if you sneeze and a booger goes flying by your date.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "That awkward moment when..."

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.