Mountain Project Logo

synthetic down pants

Original Post
patrick donahue · · Bend, OR · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 493

hey so im going on a mountaineering trip for college credit with IWLS and they require synthetic pants and i was wondering how i should fit them? i got a pair of Marmot flury pants size medium an its a snug fit with my soft shells under them. how would you rock em

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 700

Like down Synthetics work on trapping air to help keep you warm. i would fit them so that they are not snug on your under layers whatever that is. you want to be able to put them on and take them off easily so a little extra room is nice.
Dallen

Ben Brotelho · · Albany, NY · Joined May 2011 · Points: 520

fake geese?!

Graham Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 0

Think of synthetic puffy pants like a belay jacket - they should fit over everything you're going to be wearing but still be reasonably trim enough to move if it's really really cold. You probably wouldn't be wearing them alone/over just undies ever.
For what it's worth, I've just ordered a pair of Flurry pants in a large, and my usual softshell pants are about a 32 waist, 34 length.

hope that helps

IamDman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 15

why synthetic down instead of real down?

H BL · · Colorado · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 95

Where are you going & how cold will it be that you need insulated pants? I've been comfortable moving in shell pants & expedition weight baselayer. On the rare occassion I've bought my insulated pants I knew it was going to be well below zero and only used them around camp when we were more sedentary.

Ryan Williams · · London (sort of) · Joined May 2009 · Points: 1,245
IamDman wrote:why synthetic down instead of real down?
Because if you get down wet then you may as well leave the pants up on the mountain. No way they'll dry overnight.

There is no such thing as "synthetic down." There are synthetic alternatives to down fill, but they have nothing to do with birds.
jack s. · · Kamloops, BC · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 10

I have synthetic pants (nano puff by Patagonia). Got them for $10 and I love them, although the only use I have really found for them is when I am back at camp if it is less than about -10°C. They go over all of the other pants that I wear. I can't imagine ever wanting them under a shell layer while doing anything other than hanging out at camp-I'd be easy too hot in any temperature that I would enjoy climbing ice in. What does work well at -20°C are the Patagonia Mixmaster pants which are a softshell lined with R1. They are tough enough to climb in and warm enough without being miserably hot.

Pine Sap · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 7,190

Get them a little big. The tighter they fit the more the loft will be compressed and reduced against the underlayers. Thus, not as warm!

IamDman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 15
Ryan Williams wrote: Because if you get down wet then you may as well leave the pants up on the mountain. No way they'll dry overnight. There is no such thing as "synthetic down." There are synthetic alternatives to down fill, but they have nothing to do with birds.
I use Kuiu super down pants. They are made with real down feathers. The feathers have been DWR treated, so it does not fail if they get wet. It actually still retains heat like a furnace when wet. Way better than synthetic down in my opinion.

Kuiu Super Down Pants
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "synthetic down pants"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started