Mountain Project Logo

RACK ENVY

Josh Glantz · · Seattle · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0
Greg Miller wrote:

two pieces of grid wall zip tied together and hooks. i got mine out of dumpster

Did the hooks come with your dumpster find or did you buy 'em separate? I might end up with what you have and what Matt recommended just to keep everything together & organized.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 974

If you have a metal recycler nearby, they may have a yard where you can buy racks and such by weight. Also, Habitat for Humanity type thrift stores have closet organizer crap pretty often. Heaps of people bought all sorts of shit thinking it would make their clutter go away and everything in their life unicorns and rainbows, when that was the craze a while ago.

Don't forget under the bed, under the couch, back side of doors, stairwells, and, if it's a house or a piece of a house, some stuff can be stuffed up in the ceiling space. I even cut out some dry wall and recessed a skinny bookshelf into a wall. I've seen that for storage of canned goods.

That's awesome, having SCUBA and surf gear too! Bravo!  

Best, Helen

Christian Hesch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 6

Josh, any reason why you can't just leave the first shelf out (as shown in the factory photo, set the first shelf *barely* above your drawer thingies, and then either not use one shelf or simply compress the shelves a bit more tightly spaced? I've done this in my garage over a rolling cabinet and it works like a champ...

cheers, CH~

Bill B · · WNC · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Greg Miller wrote:

two pieces of grid wall zip tied together and hooks. i got mine out of dumpster

This guy dirtbags.

Christian Hesch wrote: Josh, any reason why you can't just leave the first shelf out (as shown in the factory photo, set the first shelf *barely* above your drawer thingies, and then either not use one shelf or simply compress the shelves a bit more tightly spaced? I've done this in my garage over a rolling cabinet and it works like a champ...

cheers, CH~

No reason at all! That's a brilliant idea. I'm going to Home Depot later to look into it.

Bobrunning Running · · Madison, wi · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 2,111
Matt N wrote:

OCD-R-US

Once you pack your gear often enough, you realize that any sort of wall display is just for that - displaying. Efficient storage and packing means keeping the gear in bins or backpacks, in bundles. Keep your standard cam rack on a sling - throw sling in bag - done. Keep your cams all sorted for display, now you have to pick each one up individually then what - clip to a gear sling, then put into the bag?
That type of "storage" is simply to show off your sweet trad rack; either to your sporto friends or to MP on the "rack envy" thread.

Other than that, I have no feelings on the subject.

It might be OCD but not to show off. I use a peg board to store my gear. I can pack for any climbing trip in 10 minutes. Bags full of gear might work of you are always climbing the same area, but a organization system can be a way to move fast. 

Greg Miller · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 1,225
Bill B wrote:

This guy dirtbags.

I did live out of my truck for a year but never called myself a dirtbag

Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10

Did the bin thing for years.  Never knew what I had or was a hassle to find and get shit.   6 mos ago moved into a house that had a remote unfinished basement addition under the upstairs addition.  Almost a hidden room.  Now it’s my one big gear bin.  (1 of 4 walls below).   Perfect for spraying on this thread. 

The main rack and ropes for the season stay in the packs currently on the floor for ready weekend use.  
Ty Gilroy · · Ontario, CA · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 5
Mark Pilate wrote: Did the bin thing for years.  Never knew what I had or was a hassle to find and get shit.   6 mos ago moved into a house that had a remote unfinished basement addition under the upstairs addition.  Almost a hidden room.  Now it’s my one big gear bin.  (1 of 4 walls below).   Perfect for spraying on this thread.
The main rack and ropes for the season stay in the packs currently on the floor for ready weekend use.  

Thats gorgeous 

Mark Pilate wrote: Did the bin thing for years.  Never knew what I had or was a hassle to find and get shit.   6 mos ago moved into a house that had a remote unfinished basement addition under the upstairs addition.  Almost a hidden room.  Now it’s my one big gear bin.  (1 of 4 walls below).   Perfect for spraying on this thread.
The main rack and ropes for the season stay in the packs currently on the floor for ready weekend use.  

Haha wooow you are a gear god

Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10

Kiss the glove 

Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain · · Las Vegas, Nevada · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 101
Mark Pilate wrote: Kiss the glove 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "RACK ENVY"