Mountain Project Logo

Awesome Dog Names

Maurice Chaunders · · boise, id · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 5

I met this guy on a winter mountaineering course on Rainier. He thought he was badass cuz he dragged his girlfriend up there to propose, back in the day in the summer. She got altitude sickness and was vomiting on the summit. But he knelt down and spilled his guts out and she cut him off, said yes, and got the hell out of there. So he's telling us this story, and about how his dream is to climb McKinley and be a mountaineer so badly, to the point that he even named his daughter McKinley (afterall, his marriage started on Rainier, right?). We were on the course for a week and a lot of guys were training for McKinley, or should I say Denali. Yeah, the RMI guides made it clear that no self respecting mountaineer would ever called Denali anything but that. McKinley's dad had no comment, poor dude.

john greer · · modesto · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 105

My hounds name is Jumar. Originaly there were three posible names: Jumar, Piton, or Poop Tube. Ultimately the deciding factor was how the name sounded when you are yelling across a sleepy campground. Poop tube seemed pretty fitting but didn't have the same ring as Jumar.

Jumar humping loads in Emigrant

Mic Fairchild · · Boulder · Joined Jan 2003 · Points: 360

Sad but true (it's been over 30 years). I knew a woman who named her dog "N-word" -- not the PC version, the actual epitet. She'd say "Gimmie five N-word" for shake, and "Get down N-word" for lie down. I also knew a guy in Cali named Philo who named his dog "Phidough". Do not repeat.

If possible, I would name my dog Faithful Dog. As in "Save that baby, Faithful Dog".

flynn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 25

Buddies of ours had a pair of mutts, Hex and Stopper.

And yeah, avoid "biner." No matter how you spell it, it still sounds the same. I had the same thought briefly while living in an area of NW Denver that was home to a number of Hispanic folks, both good and not so much. As soon as I spoke it out loud, I decided against using it.

IamDman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 15
The Larry wrote: My dog "Slack" avoiding rocks in the Fisher Towers.
What kind of dog is Slack? He is very cool looking
Ian Stewart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2010 · Points: 155
IamDman wrote: What kind of dog is Slack? He is very cool looking
Cattle Dog?
YDPL8S · · Santa Monica, Ca. · Joined Aug 2003 · Points: 540

I had a Collie - Keeshound mix named Kutya (which we were told means "dog" in Hungarian, by my then Hungarian mother-in-law)

I also had an Akita - Chow mix named Purwanto (named after a guy I worked with in Jakarta, don't tell him!)

Kutya was sweet and crazy, would jump off of 25ft high pinnacles.

Purwanto was usually very mellow, but pretty darn territorial. When he'd get loose at home, he'd keep the mailman or anyone else from the front porch.

zenetopia · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 15
New pup

We named our new puppy, Messner.
Rafael Rovirosa · · Salt Lake, UT · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 20

I have a beagle that I call "Caca Dog" because she is a big, fat, piece of shit. Caca is a slang word for poop in Spanish.

Kirk B. · · Boise, ID · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 60

How about Rock?

KingTonyegl 22 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Tracker and rover would be the most ordinary

Graham Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 0

I've always thought "Bitch" was a good name for a bitch. I know someone who named his dog "God", which I thought was pretty funny. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Awesome Dog Names"