Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Tenaya Climbing Shoes


Earl Arin · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 60

I would try street shoe size in Ra for the longer routes. For some reason, a half size down seemed good for me and it is rare for me to size down. The Ra seemed very comfortable, although on multipitch, I still popped them off my heel until it was time to climb again. I prefer the masai at a half size up for multipitch over the Ra.

Chris Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 50
Gray Bush wrote:I would try street shoe size in Ra for the longer routes. For some reason, a half size down seemed good for me and it is rare for me to size down. The Ra seemed very comfortable, although on multipitch, I still popped them off my heel until it was time to climb again. I prefer the masai at a half size up for multipitch over the Ra.
Does the Ra climb noticeably different than the Masai in any aspect?
Earl Arin · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 60

People say they are slightly more aggressive but I have never noticed a difference.

Chris Graham · · Bartlett, NH · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 475

I went up a full size from my street shoe on the Masai. I fit them comfortable for all day trad. Could have gone up 1/2 a size but would have sacrificed comfort with little difference in performance. I went down 1/2 size for my Ra and Iati. Pleased with the fit on all accounts

squiddo Marc · · Mountain View, CA · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 15
Chris Graham wrote:I went up a full size from my street shoe on the Masai. I fit them comfortable for all day trad. Could have gone up 1/2 a size but would have sacrificed comfort with little difference in performance. I went down 1/2 size for my Ra and Iati. Pleased with the fit on all accounts
I went half down on the RA and Lati and half up on Masai.
Jason L. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 40

I found the Masai to fit much tighter. I wear a 10.5 or 11 street shoe, and ended up with size 12 Masai, and still a bit tight in the toes, though there is some heel gap now, along with a pain point where the shoe pinches and rubs the back of my foot/ankle area.

Overall, compared to the Mythos, much more aggressive, much less comfort. The usual trade-off.

charlienw · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 75

Same with me. I bought masai's in my street size and they are far too tight to wear for more than two pitches. Great shoes though!

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,644

Tenaya Inti are my go-to shoes now. They're comfy right out of the box, sticky, edge great and are pretty durable. My size is 11.5. However, my 4th pair, a pair I just ordered, arrived and when I put them on, they are a complete half size bigger than all the other 11.5 Intis that I've had. Not a really big deal because 11.5 is very snug on me, I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this trend. It's not that they just feel bigger, holding one shoe up to another, the difference is visible.

Henri Alexander · · Las Vegas · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 507

Follow-up: I bought the Iati and it has been a stellar shoe. With the customize-able velcro strap, I've been able to suck out almost all of the heel pocket that seems to get made in Tenaya shoes.

I wear a size 11 street shoe and bought a size 9 Iati. That lets me wear the shoes for about three boulder problems or two routes before having to take them off. I did wear them on a three pitch route but it started to hurt on the third pitch.

I think it is excellent for bouldering, sport and face climbs. You should not use this for crack or slab.So far, I've climbed with the Iati in the gym, limestone and sandstone. It did well on all of those surfaces.

I vote for the Iati more than the Tarifa because the performance nearly identical, but you can cinch the shoe down better and quickly take them on/off.

David Buchanan · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 15

After a few months with new inti's, I regret ever enduring the pain of sportivas or scarpas (or shelling out all that $)

A friend had some ra's that he really liked. I'm tall and thin and have feet with a similar shape. Chose the lower volume inti's accordingly. Not only are they more comfortable, but the fit feels better for performance than more expensive shoes. Feels like I can climb anything in these. No saggy, sloppy heel. Can feel my toes after an hour of bouldering in the gym. Have stopped caring about that next pair of shoes.

Be careful with sizing, they don't stretch much. Well worth the money. Will get the same pair for outdoor projecting.

Brandt Allen · · Joshua Tree, Cal · Joined Jan 2004 · Points: 215

coolhandBuke - I'd be interested to know what size Intis you got. What's your street shoe, Sportiva, etc. size? How snug is the fit? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

David Buchanan · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 15
Brandt Allen wrote:coolhandBuke - I'd be interested to know what size Intis you got. What's your street shoe, Sportiva, etc. size? How snug is the fit? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hi Brandt,

So my street shoe size is usually 10.5. I wore miura vs's in 42.5 and scarpa vapors in 42.5 as well. They were very tight with painful break in period. They also had saggy heels after about 2 months. Following Jake Jones's advice, I decided to go a half size down from street size for my Intis (size 10). I would call it a performance fit but not uncomfortable.

Perfect size, minimal stretch and very comfortable for long pitches or long periods of bouldering. No sloppy feeling anywhere on my foot.

I wear these for gym and outside, will get the same size if I need another pair next season. Rubber's holding up well though.

I should note that the routes I do are mostly vertical crimpers. Great shoe for face climbing.
Weston L · · NEVADASTAN · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 851

Kind of an update as it relates to the RA now that I have had mine (and used them extensively) for a year:

1. Great shoe.  The perfect blend for me between being stiff enough to edge well but also sensitive enough/soft enough to smear when need be.  

2.  After time, as with all synthetic uppers, they get a bit slimy once your feet get sweaty.  Perhaps I have sweaty feet, which very well may be the case, but with that being said...anyone have any suggestions on how to de-slime the interior of these?  It starts to feel like a swamp with the shoes losing some of their stability.

3. Durable as hell.  I've been climbing a good bit of sport and tech face over the past 5 months, and really over the past year, with these as my go-to's.  They still do not yet need a resole and the uppers are in great shape.  Damn impressive.

4. The rubber.  I've always been a 5.10 rubber guy...complained about their shoe tech being a bit behind the curve, but the rubber has always been phenomenal...and the shoes have always fit my hobbit feet.  The rubber on these Tenaya's is pretty damn good.  Not even mad.

5. Warts and all, I bought a second pair for more performance-oriented outings due to the slime factor and likely will continue to be loyal to this shoe, since nothing else fits my wide feet in the Tenaya line that I have tried (Oasi, Tarifa, Masai.)  These things beat the pants off of the shoe they are most comparable to, the Anasazi VCS.

Henri Alexander · · Las Vegas · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 507

2.  After time, as with all synthetic uppers, they get a bit slimy once your feet get sweaty.  Perhaps I have sweaty feet, which very well may be the case, but with that being said...anyone have any suggestions on how to de-slime the interior of these?  It starts to feel like a swamp with the shoes losing some of their stability.

The "slime" is buildup of sweat, dirt, chalk, dead skin, etc. A good way to get rid of all that is to wash them by hand with soapy water and a rag. I wouldn't use the washing machine because they'll get beat up. After washing, wear them until almost dry so you don't lose the forming to your foot. Washing will also get rid of the nasty little Hobbitses living in your shoes.



Caspar van Lissa · · Amsterdam, Netherlands · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 0

I want to vent some of my frustration about the Tenaya Mundaka shoes. First of all: I LOVE the design and feel of this shoe. They are really great and improve my performance a lot. However, after just two months, while climbing at most twice a week, the rubber is coming off at several places on both heels, and on the toe patch. They are essentially falling apart with two months of medium use. This experience is reminiscent of the posts by two other contributors on this thread. I sent the shoes back to the factory, but they rejected my warranty claim. Instead, they offered to reimburse me for having the heel glued by a shoemaker. However, the fact that this is happening at many places on both shoes makes me think that it's just shoddy construction. Very frustrating that I found shoes which I love, but which fall apart so soon.

V.C. C · · Folsom, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 50
Caspar van Lissa wrote: I want to vent some of my frustration about the Tenaya Mundaka shoes. First of all: I LOVE the design and feel of this shoe. They are really great and improve my performance a lot. However, after just two months, while climbing at most twice a week, the rubber is coming off at several places on both heels, and on the toe patch. They are essentially falling apart with two months of medium use. This experience is reminiscent of the posts by two other contributors on this thread. I sent the shoes back to the factory, but they rejected my warranty claim. Instead, they offered to reimburse me for having the heel glued by a shoemaker. However, the fact that this is happening at many places on both shoes makes me think that it's just shoddy construction. Very frustrating that I found shoes which I love, but which fall apart so soon.

I had the same issue with the heel rubber, but not the toe patch. Super glue does wonder!

Andrew Rademacher · · Loveland, OH · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

So Ive finally found the shoe that fits me perfectly as an all arounder. The Masai turns out to fit my weird arrow shaped and super thin feet perfectly! They’ve turned out to be the perfect volume and for any point footed, low volume climber I will not be able to recommend them enough. 

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,644
Caspar van Lissa wrote: I want to vent some of my frustration about the Tenaya Mundaka shoes. First of all: I LOVE the design and feel of this shoe. They are really great and improve my performance a lot. However, after just two months, while climbing at most twice a week, the rubber is coming off at several places on both heels, and on the toe patch. They are essentially falling apart with two months of medium use. This experience is reminiscent of the posts by two other contributors on this thread. I sent the shoes back to the factory, but they rejected my warranty claim. Instead, they offered to reimburse me for having the heel glued by a shoemaker. However, the fact that this is happening at many places on both shoes makes me think that it's just shoddy construction. Very frustrating that I found shoes which I love, but which fall apart so soon.

I have Mundakas and I haven't had that issue.  Hopefully you just got a batch that had bad glue or something.  I also just ordered a pair of the Oasi LV.  Even the thin narrow Tenaya models still have some space in the heel and I've downsized as much as I can.  The Mundaka is the best fit yet, but hopefully a specifically designed low volume model can get me a good heel fit.

Ben Schuldt · · Bowling Green, KY · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 85
Jake Jones wrote:

 Even the thin narrow Tenaya models still have some space in the heel and I've downsized as much as I can. 

I have standard-ish feet and love both of my pairs of Ras for just about everything other than heel hooking. I have literally pulled my foot out of a shoe on a particularly strenuous heel hook in the gym. I wish I could get a pair that are identical to the Ra but have a better heel.

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,644
Ben Schuldt wrote:

I have standard-ish feet and love both of my pairs of Ras for just about everything other than heel hooking. I have literally pulled my foot out of a shoe on a particularly strenuous heel hook in the gym. I wish I could get a pair that are identical to the Ra but have a better heel.

Have you tried the Inti?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Tenaya Climbing Shoes"
in the Climbing Gear Reviews

Log In to Reply