Mountain Project Logo

What type of camera do you use?

Jeff Chrisler · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 145

Although you are a Nikon guy, I'd agree with those saying that the Canon G series is a solid choice. They are heavier and a bit bulkier, the big thing for me being a semi-pro photographer is that I need a raw file, which the G series provides. Editing in raw is the best scenario.

Whatever you think you want, please consult dpreview.com and in many cases the camera will be reviewed at length. The review of the Canon G12 can be found here - dpreview.com/reviews/CanonG12/

Shameless plug of photo blog -
Photo Blog

Daryl Allan · · Sierra Vista, AZ · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 1,055

I've been unimpressed by the dynamic range performance of any of the Coolpix p&s bodies I've tried out. This is a big showstopper for me. I would say look at the Sony HX9v (or later) or the Canon G series.

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 700

Is anyone shooting with a G-12 or has anyone looked at the new Cannon G1X? I have heard they are both amazing camera's

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 415

For my real serious landscape stuff I'm a Nikon man but the Canon G11 is a really, really nice small camera that takes great photos. I've had it for three years now and would buy another tomorrow if this one broke.

Ben Warner · · Albuquerque, New Mexico · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 5

If you are interested in SLRs, check out cameras w/ 4/3rds systems like Olympus. The sensor is smaller so it makes the camera much lighter. I have used them for years and love them. The only problem is that lenses are expensive and cannot be interchanged with other SLR lenses.

Malcolm Daly · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 380

A key question that hasn't been asked yet is how are you going to carry the camera while you are climbing? I like to carry mine in a shirt pocket with a lanyard around my neck so this precludes anything larger than a deck of cards. The Canon G1X/G9/10/11 etc are fine cameras but are bricks compared to the Powershot S95/S100. I carry an S95 and am supremely happy with it. It has the same sensor as the G9/10/11 so image quality is identical. The quick adjust ring around the lens can be assigned to almost any function in the camera and, if you care, it can shoot RAW. Here's a review: kenrockwell.com/canon/s100.htm

Andrew Bradberry · · Golden, CO · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 100
Ben Warner wrote:If you are interested in SLRs, check out cameras w/ 4/3rds systems like Olympus. The sensor is smaller so it makes the camera much lighter. I have used them for years and love them. The only problem is that lenses are expensive and cannot be interchanged with other SLR lenses.
I'm glad to hear somebody else throw out Olympus. I have the Olympus E-620 for my DSLR, very small and lightweight for a DSLR. I also have an Olympus Stylus Tough for my point and shoot, which is awesome for shooting when it's wet or bringing along on multi-pitch climbs.
Mike McMahon · · Little Cottonwood Canyon, UT · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 940

Panasonic Lumix GF-2. Like other cameras mentioned above, this is also a micro 4/3 system. It is quite simple to shoot in full manual mode. It is unfortunately, limited to a 60 sec. max exposure, which is not long enough if you want to shoot star trails.

I carry it climbing and it seems pretty durable.
And if the battery is dead, I revert back to my 1980's Minolta X-500 that I found at Goodwill.

Rob Fielding · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined May 2011 · Points: 195

Thanks everybody for all the replies, really really helpful.

As far as size goes, i'm looking at carring the camera on my harness w/ a camera bag protecting it, but the image quality w/ the canon s100/90 is amazing for such a small camera, and I might consider that.

I'll check out the Canon G series right now.

The m4/3 really looks like something i'd like to get, and I'll have the money since i'm selling my other camera. I really like the reviews on the panasonic lumix gf1, especially w/ the 20 mm lens that I could interchange w/ the 14-22.

Tim Zander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 30

GF1 is now out of date, so you can probably get it reasonably cheap. Olympus EM-5 which is about to come out looks great.

I'd also look at the 14mm pancake instead of the 14-42 or 20mm, and then one of the longer zooms.

fredmiranda.com/forum/topic…

Noah Fogel · · Cbad CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 65

An iPhone

MisterSir · · Back of my truck · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 260

The GF1 is still one of the most loved m43 cameras and for this reason is still often more expensive than its predecessors which have gotten a much less warming welcome. Most people will agree that the ease of use on the GF1 is one of the best amongst any m43 users...not too mention half the price of the EM-5 which is still not available for all intsive purposes, and wont be for quite some time

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What type of camera do you use?"