Mountain Project Logo

Packing for a climb/Backpack suggestions

Original Post
Lou C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 20

Looking for a new climbing pack. I have a 35L Marmot. I don't like the way it's top load only. I can't take advantage of the capacity without packing things in tightly. If I pack tightly I can't dig through it to get anything. I'm looking for a top loading pack that has a zip that runs the entire length of the pack allowing it to open like a duffel bag once it's laid down. A duffel would allow me to pack better and in turn have a smaller back pack that I pack more efficiently.

I like that It has a strap under the lid to hold my rope. It also has some straps that will hold the middle of the rope from swinging as well. Any suggestions on a nice pack?

Here is my setup now.

Kilroywashere! London · · Harrisonburg, Virginia · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 280

misty mountain gorge pack has a nice zipper down the side of it...i wanna say its about 40-45L size.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

In my experience, a 45L pack is the right size for day climbing trips. It holds everything I need. And there's no need to be able to "dig around." I have the water on top (with a drinking tube, if I want) and some sundry items in the zippered top pocket if I need quick access to them (first aid kit, sunscreen, cell phone). My pack is a toploader Black Diamond and has withstood the test of time and durability for about eight years now.

Side zips are asking for trouble if they break.

Ben B. wrote:Your expectations aren't going to match up with reality, m'fraid. In order for a pack to ride well, it needs to be full. In order for things to be easy to dig for, the pack needs to be loose. So pick one. Stuff sacks in a multitude of varying sizes, is the trick... lets you fill your space intelligently, and makes it a lot easier to pull shit out to get to stuff at the bottom. As far as side-zips go, it's been my experience that they really aren't much help... if you're packed tight, you probably won't be able to get stuff back in through the side zip, and zipping it back up can be a huge pain or even impossible, depending on the load. I've pretty much concluded that you just have to have two, or even three, different packs... a small day/summit pack, a mid-sized spring/summer pack, and a large pack for winter. I really think that's the only way you can ensure your pack is filled snugly, but not tightly. Just my observations, so far. I'm still fairly new to all this gear whoring, myself.
Thanx for the reply! I always search for something that doesn't exist! This is what I'm looking at currently. The only drawback is that I don't think I'd have a way to carry the rope outside the pack.

zappos.com/black-diamond-ho…
Bon Temps · · SoCal · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 0

It just chaps my hide when I need to dump out my whole pack to get at something. One thing or the other always ends up not making it back in and gets lost.
I have a Gregory Tarne 36.
It has a zipper that runs halfway down one side and about 3/4 of the way down on the other side.

I also have a CAMP M3 which has a "Back Door" access panel.

Both packs allow me to access gear without dumping out the whole shebang.I chose both of these packs partially because of the ease of access.

FrankPS wrote:Side zips are asking for trouble if they break.
I was actually curious about that.

I'm new to climbing in general. So I'm working on a system to figure out what to take and how to pack it.
Bon Temps wrote:It just chaps my hide when I need to dump out my whole pack to get at something. One thing or the other always ends up not making it back in and gets lost. I have a Gregory Tarne 36. It has a zipper that runs halfway down one side and about 3/4 of the way down on the other side. I also have a CAMP M3 which has a "Back Door" access panel. Both packs allow me to access gear without dumping out the whole shebang.I chose both of these packs partially because of the ease of access.
That Gregory Tarne looks like it might be something that'd work great!
Chase Roskos · · Golden, CO · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 90

Arteryx Miura might work something like you're looking for.

arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?E…

Miura opened.

Chase Roskos wrote:Arteryx Miura might work something like you're looking for. arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?E…
I think you might have just introduced me to my next pack.
H BL · · Colorado · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 95

I have a Mammut Ice 45. I like it, don't wholeheartedly love it. My chief complaint is that I have an old Petzl Ecrin Roc helmet and everytime I look up the pack pushes it over my eyes. Drives me NUTS. Time for a new helmet anyway; maybe that'll solve the problem.

It's a bomber pack and I've probably packed way more in it than I should. Top loader. As long as you have everything organized you shouldn't need to be tearing thru the pack for stuff. I for one can't stand stuff sacks. I think you can be organized without them. I don't have any issues finding what I need. Mammut Ice 45

Ryan Williams · · London (sort of) · Joined May 2009 · Points: 1,245

We make a 46 liter pack that is top loading. It also has a front panel that opens, king of like a suitcase. It makes a great crag pack. I could bring you one in April but you obviously wouldn't be able to try in on before hand... Don't think you'll find one in the USA.

jack-wolfskin.com/Newsroom/…

Ryan Williams · · London (sort of) · Joined May 2009 · Points: 1,245

Ps, I could also sell you an Arcteryx muira 30 for cheap. Bombproof pack with a very useable design... 30 l and carris a rope on the outside very well.

Patrick Mulligan · · Reno, NV · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 995

I just picked up a Muira 30 for that very reason. I've used a Dana Bomb Pack (46L) for years with great success. I found that the Bomb Pack is great when shuttling large loads for long routes or alpine routes where doubles or two ropes are necessary (also on longer approaches where shuttling more water and food is necessary). However it's simply too large for cragging or shorter approaches. The Muira is the perfect balance and allows easy access to all gear/water, while carrying a rope well on the outside of the bag when necessary. I see it quickly becoming my pack of choice for most of my climbing.

Ryan Williams wrote:Ps, I could also sell you an Arcteryx muira 30 for cheap. Bombproof pack with a very useable design... 30 l and carris a rope on the outside very well.
Sent you a PM
Ryan Hill · · Denver, CO · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 30
silveralt wrote: I think you might have just introduced me to my next pack.
The Muira is a great pack, heavy as well, but a great design. I've got 4 or 5 friends with them, no problems after 4+ years of heavy use. It is a tank though, 4-5lbs depending on the model. It does carry a heavy load comfortably though and it shouldn't ever break or tear.

From what I have seen I'd suggest the 50L version if you are carrying a larger rack, the 30 doesn't seem to be quite enough, especially if you carry the rope on the inside.
Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180

What are you using for? If its just rock/cragging use then the Miura is probably the best crag pack made. I have a Miura 50L and love it, it carries weight very well and has one of the best hip belts on the market. The Miura is also very durable. However, if you plan on doing alpine climbing or carrying the pack up a climb the Miura is poorly suited, it's heavy and has no provisions for ice axes or tools.

I have been doing more reading on packs and I have it 'narrowed down' to a few different models.

The Black Diamond Axis 33
I like the way the top opens on this pack. Also like the dedicated webbing for lashing a rope to the top of the pack.
blackdiamondequipment.com/e…

The Gregory Tarne 36
I like how sleek the bag is. Gregory is a highly recommended company. The bag is perfect aside from the fact it hasn't got many spots to hook things to the outside of it if ever needed. One more afterthought on this is that it does APPEAR to lack the ability to carry a rope on the outside somehow. Not sure on this one.
gregorypacks.com/products/m…

The Marmot Drakon 35
Neat looking pack. I LOVE that it is a top loader and a duffel. Problem is that I'm not a huge fan of Marmot based on my experiences with the Marmot I have now.
marmot.com/products/drakon_35

And then of course the Miura 30. The pricetag is a little steep. I'm not sure I'd be able to use the bag like I want due to it being so expensive. I'd never forgive myself for trashing a $200 pack.
Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180

What are you using it for?

Those packs are probably the bottom rung of what those brands make. Marmot makes really junky packs all the way around. You can't wear out the Miura pack, you'll go through five of each of the packs you have listed before the Miura shows wear. If you have to have cheap and want side/bottom access here is an option: rei.com/product/835825/the-…

Crag pack. Sport climbing.

H BL · · Colorado · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 95
Ben B. wrote: This is actually why the Army still uses short/fat rucksacks, despite the obvious benefits of a high-riding load. You can't lift your head to fight from the prone position while wearing a k-pot and a high-riding ruck. Or even just look up..
True. Same thing in the Corps. I think that's why it bugs the shit out of me so much.
Tom Rangitsch · · Lander, Wy · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 1,699

I have a new Miura 50 by Arcteryx. It's definitely the best crag pack I have ever had. If price is an issue, maybe it's not for you as it is spendy. But I love it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Packing for a climb/Backpack suggestions"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started