Mountain Project Logo

Original Post
Cunning Linguist · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 1,200

Geir www.ToofastTopos.com · · Tucson/DMR · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 2,751

i've played a bit with the new fixe units. they are really, really nicely made. very good attention to detail.

one thing i really like about them is that the sizes are identical to the original aliens. as someone who owns a bunch of aliens already, this will be nice when i have to replace a lost/worn unit.

i've only seen photos of the totem version, but must admit i like the improvements they have made to the original design. the sizing changes are the only drawback for me.

J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,926
Killis Howard wrote:...has anyone bought both types and A/B'd them yet?
Yup. I own Aliens from both and tried them out for the first time this last weekend. They are both beautifully made pieces. There really is not much (if at all) of a difference between the Fixe's and the Totem's. There is a price difference and that was the main reason I have a mixed set. Totem (which is ~$20 cheaper than Fixe) does not make the blue size, so I bought yellow and green Totem's and a Fixe blue.
J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,926
Geir wrote:. i've only seen photos of the totem version, but must admit i like the improvements they have made to the original design. the sizing changes are the only drawback for me.
The sizing change is extremely minimal. I know "eyeing" up cam sizes is not particularly scientific, but when I compare the Totem (and Fixe) cams to my old original Aliens, I can't tell the difference. Both companies did a fantastic job of paying attention to small details and producing a quality piece of gear.
Mark Roth · · Boulder · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 14,062

Geir www.ToofastTopos.com · · Tucson/DMR · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 2,751
J. Albers wrote: The sizing change is extremely minimal. I know "eyeing" up cam sizes is not particularly scientific, but when I compare the Totem (and Fixe) cams to my old original Aliens, I can't tell the difference. Both companies did a fantastic job of paying attention to small details and producing a quality piece of gear.
That's good to know. I'm psyched Aliens are being produced again - I really love the design.
mattm · · TX · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,885

Fixe chart with mm measurements for those who hate to convert (me)

ANNNNDDD... Master Cams for reference.

and Totem:

G McG · · Victoria, BC · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 60
Killis Howard wrote:Doesn't matter as no one's making the black again yet.
Actually both Totem and Fixe are planning on making the black alien (or basic) in the near future. I can post their replies to my inquiries on this if you don't believe me
G McG · · Victoria, BC · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 60

Sorry, I just reread your post and noticed I missed you had said "yet" at the end of that sentence. My bad. I too really hope they come out with them soon. The reply from Fixe said they would be released hopefully in the next few weeks! Totem said sometime in the future (I guess they don't want disappointed fans :p)

Christian RodaoBack · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 1,486

A maximum flexability black Alien would be awesome, that thing would be so flexable it would put the merely flexible black Aliens to shame!

PS I did sent an e-mail to Fixe about the spelling issue, it is a professional communication after all.

mattm · · TX · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,885
Killis Howard wrote:I wonder if a Black Alien would really hold 9kn versus a 00 master cam at 5kn. There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics. Doesn't matter as no one's making the black again yet. Bummer, it was a good piece.
I'm much more inclined to say the 5kN is the more realistic of the 2 stats.

One of the major take aways I got from reading that old "bad alien report" was the failure mode and strength of the smallest aliens. IIRC, the Blacks all sheared their cam lobes right around 5kN.

HOWEVER, it's also been noted that Totem and Fixe are quoting specs from two different testing methods:

The Totem ratings are on CE test conditions (1/4 cam closure).
CCH Alien ratings are on 80% cam closure conditions.
That's the difference. CE tests (or UIAA, the test are the same) are for %25 and %75 cam closure. The poorest results in strength are obtained always with %25 cam closure, where at small sizes, lobes overcamming happens.
Mikel from Totem

I'm not sure what Fixe is using for their specs.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started