Mountain Project Logo

App Feedback


Andrew McQ · · Prescott, AZ · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 65

I just hope they fix the issue where the app deletes route photos on its own, leaving me with a bigger adventure than I originally anticipated.  This happened while in the backcountry to both my partner and I in the middle of a two-week trip, and we decided to neglect some of our objectives because of it.

Bobby Mustard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 3,270
Kenneth James wrote: Are the apps being worked on at all? Android hasn't had an update since January. Would really like to be able to comment on things and add routes from the app.

Edit: sorry for the bump, just read another post where an admin named Rachel said in July that the engineering team was strapped for resources but comments are on the road map. Anyway hopefully we can see a function to add routes too in the future

I just want to voice my vote for the opposite, I think routes would be filled with a lot more totally unnecessary comments if we could do so from our phones.

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 9,523
Kenneth James wrote: Are the apps being worked on at all? Android hasn't had an update since January. Would really like to be able to comment on things and add routes from the app.

Edit: sorry for the bump, just read another post where an admin named Rachel said in July that the engineering team was strapped for resources but comments are on the road map. Anyway hopefully we can see a function to add routes too in the future

Ive got a friend adding routes and areas straight from the browser on his iPhone. Though adding photos and comments would be a nice upgrade for the app.

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,879

We have a new Android engineer starting next week!  A new build with many bug fixes is coming...

stolo · · Shelby, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 215

Not even sure if funding is an issue at MP, but ever talks of making it a paid app? Having the app on mobile is something I would pay for if helped to improve app.

Would help cut down on riff raff comments as Eli pointed out. 

C. limbnski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5
stolo wrote: Not even sure if funding is an issue at MP, but ever talks of making it a paid app? Having the app on mobile is something I would pay for if helped to improve app.

Would help cut down on riff raff comments as Eli pointed out. 

I would probably stop using the site for anything but a guidebook at home / printing topos

To me, this is a wonderful resource for our community precisely because the cost isn't handled directly by the same bunch of dirtbags that add routes to the database

As an example, I would also never pay to read the new your times website or backpacking light.com. Paywalls suck. Support the free sharing of information. Etcetera.

Edit: if you want to get rid of people that post random pedantic bs about climbing (we're back to me) this is a great idea, but it may get rid of some of the positive contributions as well
C. limbnski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5
Nick Wilder wrote: We have a new Android engineer starting next week!  A new build with many bug fixes is coming...

Stoked!!

Kenneth James · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0
Nick Wilder wrote: We have a new Android engineer starting next week!  A new build with many bug fixes is coming...

Sweet! Thanks for the update!

stolo · · Shelby, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 215
Scott Kilts wrote:As an example, I would also never pay to read the new your times website or backpacking light.com. Paywalls suck. Support the free sharing of information. Etcetera
I was just referring to the mobile app being paid since that is what seems to require more development work. Good points though
C. limbnski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5
stolo wrote: I was just referring to the mobile app being paid since that is what seems to require more development work. Good points though

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post, that's what I was arguing against. Any paid app limits community input. That being said, I do totally see where you're coming from and am stoked on the upcoming dev work!

Dan Africk · · Brooklyn, New York · Joined May 2014 · Points: 275
stolo wrote: Not even sure if funding is an issue at MP, but ever talks of making it a paid app? Having the app on mobile is something I would pay for if helped to improve app.

Would help cut down on riff raff comments as Eli pointed out. 

It was a paid app for a brief while. I paid for it. Then the management of MP was taken over, a new and severely limited version of the app was launched, and people who paid got no refund and nothing in return. I can't use the app on my phone any more because it takes up way too much memory, can't use the memory card, and is useless unless you download entire an entire state..

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

On the Android version if you are in the forums and typing a reply and let your phone go to sleep everything you had typed disappears when you wake up the phone. Worth fixing imo.

C. limbnski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5
Parker Wrozek wrote: On the Android version if you are in the forums and typing a reply and let your phone go to sleep everything you had typed disappears when you wake up the phone. Worth fixing imo.

This also occurs if you adjust your screen orientation or switch apps. The page appears to force reload and poof goes your unposted message

Nolan Huther · · Burlington, VT · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 542

The app doesn't allow for selecting various "in between" grades (WI3-4, 5.11a/b) or "generalized" grades (5.10, 5.11) or the plus/minus grades (5.9+, WI4+, 5.11-). These are often useful, especially depending on the area you are visiting. This would be a very nice feature.

Also, there is no way to delete a rating on the app. I've had an issue where I accidentally rated a climb and wanted to delete it. I deleted it on the browser and then when I opened the app the sync overwrote the browser and the rating was restored. 

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

the photographies they are most useless hmmyaaa!

perhaps you shall mark certain photos "beta" photos, and those are downloaded by default, instead of you having no photos nothing! or 572 photos of "climber" taking "selfie" in the parking lot hmmmmyaaaa

all your ad revenue from "anonymized" data sold are belong to me

Jason Anderson · · Boulder · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 105

We released version 4.2.0 for android on Tuesday, which should fix the issue where your typing/text is lost when you rotate, switch apps, or turn off the screen.

This update has multiple potential fixes for downloaded photos missing/disappearing when you're offline.  See more details in my post here: mountainproject.com/forum/t…

Keep the feedback coming, we appreciate it!

Ryan U. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 45

I just noticed that I can't write comments on route pages from my android phone or am I missing something? Being able to delete a photo off our phone would be rad, it sucks having to go through selfies and pictures of flowers/bugs/ect to find the one photo that actually has useful beta. 

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 9,523
Ryan U. wrote: I just noticed that I can't write comments on route pages from my android phone or am I missing something? Being able to delete a photo off our phone would be rad, it sucks having to go through selfies and pictures of flowers/bugs/ect to find the one photo that actually has useful beta. 

You can't add pictures or comment from the app, for now.

When it comes to pictures, when theres a lot of pics on the route or area, by priority, the Beta pics followed by the ones with the highest ratings.  you can down-rate pics that you think don't bring anything additional to the pages to prevent them from getting uploaded to the app.
Ryan U. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 45
Luc-514 wrote:

You can't add pictures or comment from the app, for now.

When it comes to pictures, when theres a lot of pics on the route or area, by priority, the Beta pics followed by the ones with the highest ratings.  you can down-rate pics that you think don't bring anything additional to the pages to prevent them from getting uploaded to the app.

Downratting doesnt remove it from my phone though. I have MB's of useless selfies, lizards and "aesthetic shots" I have already been downratting but it doesnt remove the pic from my phone.  


Commenting from the app would be a great feature to add in the future.  
MP Team · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 4
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

iPhone & Android App Feedback
Post a Reply to "App Feedback"

Log In to Reply