ClimbX X-Tech Cam? anyone use or abuse them


Original Post
Rob Warden...Space Lizard · · Between Zion, Vegas, LA, an… · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 115

I was in a shop today and they had the new cams from from Climb X. its 500 for a set of ten. They look like Trango cams with updated lobes. anybody used them? any ideas on them? I looked at them and all though they are not a BD cam they are not supposed to be. However, there are two different strength ratings. the sling is rated to 23KN and the anodized aluminum trigger bar says 5KN. I am confused and hoping for some input.

thanks

Aric Datesman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 145

Never heard of them. Got a link?

I suspect the rating thing is that they use a premade runner for the sling (which would require the 22kn rating) and don't snip the tag. While the 5kN rating on the cam itself seems low, frankly that's all the UIAA actually requires for certification and may or may not have any bearing on what the device might actually hold.

EDIT- quick bit of Google turned up this...

Climb X:



Seen these before, and want to say they're rebranded CAMP Air Cams. From Google, it looks like I'm right.... For whatever reason CAMP USA doesn't list them, but they're on their Italian site.

Rob Warden...Space Lizard · · Between Zion, Vegas, LA, an… · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 115

http://climbxgear.com/cam.aspx

mountain-nut · · Morrison, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 0

i personally won't buy anything made by climbX. they've blatantly stolen products and ideas from mad rock and other manufactures.

and before any of you guys point out that there is a lot of idea "sharing" in the rock climbing industry, climbX was started on the idea that they were going to run mad rock out of business and take over all their products.

Rob Warden...Space Lizard · · Between Zion, Vegas, LA, an… · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 115

oh I agree, I will not support Climbx with my dollars. Also like knowing that the cam I just put in will hold if placed correctly. I don't like the Idea of placing 5KN cams. Thirdly I don't need any more cams and should not be left unsupervised near a gear store.

heres a picture of them

Aric Datesman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 145

Sorry, you guys caught me editing (see above)... They're pretty clearly rebranded CAMP Air Cams.

http://www.camp.it/IT/template01.aspx?codicemenu=97

And FWIW, CAMP Air Cams are rated 10kN across the whole line.

Tristan Higbee · · Ogden, UT · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 2,970
mountain-nut wrote:i personally won't buy anything made by climbX
Same here, but just because I can get a far superior cam with a proven track record for the same price. The OP said "although they're not a BD cam, they're not supposed to be." 8 BD Cams (.3 - 4) will be essentially the same price as the 10 ClimbX cams. SO worth it.
Rob Warden...Space Lizard · · Between Zion, Vegas, LA, an… · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 115

I saw a few differences, but the similarities are more important. The ClimbX Cams have a thumb loop and a doubled sling. but for fifty dollars I want nothing to do with them. BTW they make ugly looking nuts too.

Aric Datesman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 145

Yeah, thumb loop and plastic over the cable but the goofy lobe design and identical trigger bar screams Air Cam. As I said, most likely rebranded.

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,110
mountain-nut wrote:i personally won't buy anything made by climbX. they've blatantly stolen products and ideas from mad rock and other manufactures. and before any of you guys point out that there is a lot of idea "sharing" in the rock climbing industry, climbX was started on the idea that they were going to run mad rock out of business and take over all their products.
...and watch out for no-return for a refund -policy on alot of their gear. that sucks for sure. no more purchases from me due to that.
Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180
mountain-nut wrote:they've blatantly stolen products and ideas from mad rock...
That's like photocopying a bad black and white photocopy.
Yarp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 0
Ray Pinpillage wrote: That's like photocopying a bad black and white photocopy.
I've had several items from mad rock for several years now and been very satisfied with the way they have held up. What product of theirs have you owned that you've been dissatisfied with Ray?
Wei-Ming Lam · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 228
Yarp wrote: I've had several items from mad rock for several years now and been very satisfied with the way they have held up. What product of theirs have you owned that you've been dissatisfied with Ray?
Just chiming in here -
I have had Mad Rock shoes and biners. Their lockers do not inspire confidence. Not sure how to explain it, but I have a few Ultratech HMS screw gate and Ultratech screwgate. Their feel and the way they clip just don't jive with me. Trying to offload the HMS biners at present.

On the other hand, I have about 10 of their Ultralight Bent Gate wire biners, which I do like. They clip really nicely.

Once upon a time I had Mad Rock shoes, but their rubber wasn't my favorite, nor was the super stiffness of the shoe. Climbing in Scarpa or Sportiva feels way better.

And those climb x cams look sketchy.
mountain-nut · · Morrison, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 0
Ray Pinpillage wrote: That's like photocopying a bad black and white photocopy.
I own a set of mad rock draws, and a pair of mugen tech lace shoes. I've been very happy with all of them.

if i could find one of their older rope bags that has 2 shoulder straps, i'd own that too.
Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,110
mountain-nut wrote: I own a set of mad rock draws, and a pair of mugen tech lace shoes. I've been very happy with all of them. if i could find one of their older rope bags that has 2 shoulder straps, i'd own that too.
I've beem good with MadRock too, shoes run a good full size small, but they perform. I've got 2 of those orange rope bucket/basket things if that's what you are looking for. Clips shut on top, big shoulder sling for carry.
Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180
Yarp wrote: I've had several items from mad rock for several years now and been very satisfied with the way they have held up. What product of theirs have you owned that you've been dissatisfied with Ray?
I didn't say I was dissatisfied, I said Climb-X is knocking of knockoffs. In general MadRock makes low quality junk. Climb-X is owned by an Ex-MadRock employee who's goal is to go to market using MadRock's designs. I can't recall where I heard it but I think there was a story about Climb-X buying their products from MadRock's manufacturer in China.
mongoose · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2010 · Points: 0
Ray Pinpillage wrote: I didn't say I was dissatisfied, I said Climb-X is knocking of knockoffs. In general MadRock makes low quality junk. Climb-X is owned by an Ex-MadRock employee who's goal is to go to market using MadRock's designs. I can't recall where I heard it but I think there was a story about Climb-X buying their products from MadRock's manufacturer in China.
Mad rock may not make the most expensive stuff but i have been satisfied with everything of theirs that I've used. Just because they are inexpensive compared to BD, Metolius, and La Sportiva doesn't make them low quality.

Climb-X, on the other hand, is a shady, dishonest company. They were sued by Mad Rock for stealing designs and, for all intents and purposes, lost. here is the link
http://www.dpmclimbing.com/articles/view/settlement-reached-mad-rock-vs-climb-x-lawsuit
Yarp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 0
Ray Pinpillage wrote: I didn't say I was dissatisfied, I said Climb-X is knocking of knockoffs. In general MadRock makes low quality junk. Climb-X is owned by an Ex-MadRock employee who's goal is to go to market using MadRock's designs. I can't recall where I heard it but I think there was a story about Climb-X buying their products from MadRock's manufacturer in China.
Thanks for the history lesson Ray. I doubt any of that was news to most of us but thank you for enlightening us, the unwashed masses, with your "I can't recall where I heard it but I think..." story. Great Holiday read!

I notice that lots of people call Mad Rock "low quality junk" without ever having owned or used a single one of their products. I guess your opinion of their product is based on what it looks like and not on how it works? Not all of their products are good but I have several of their biners and they've seen a crazy amount of use, caught many a whipper and are still going strong. Of course not everything they make is first rate but that goes for any manufacturer out there.

With that being said I wouldn't buy anything from Gear-X not only because of their history of cornholing MadRock but also because it's obvious the company is nothing but fluff. A really poor marketing scheme aimed directly at the young, extreme new climber with zero experience. No thanks. I'd rather support Wired Bliss!
Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180
Yarp wrote: Thanks for the history lesson Ray. I doubt any of that was news to most of us but thank you for enlightening us, the unwashed masses, with your "I can't recall where I heard it but I think..." story. Great Holiday read! I notice that lots of people call Mad Rock "low quality junk" without ever having owned or used a single one of their products. I guess your opinion of their product is based on what it looks like and not on how it works? Not all of their products are good but I have several of their biners and they've seen a crazy amount of use, caught many a whipper and are still going strong. Of course not everything they make is first rate but that goes for any manufacturer out there. With that being said I wouldn't buy anything from Gear-X not only because of their history of cornholing MadRock but also because it's obvious the company is nothing but fluff. A really poor marketing scheme aimed directly at the young, extreme new climber with zero experience. No thanks. I'd rather support Wired Bliss!
Don't be mad...ROC?

You mad bro?
mountain-nut · · Morrison, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 0
Woodchuck ATC wrote: I've beem good with MadRock too, shoes run a good full size small, but they perform. I've got 2 of those orange rope bucket/basket things if that's what you are looking for. Clips shut on top, big shoulder sling for carry.
http://www.madrockclimbing.com/products/product.asp?_item=100067

this is what im talking about. its a nice, simple, and cheap bag with regular backpack straps. unfortunately i never got one and they don't make them anymore. ClimbX makes a knockoff of this, but i wont buy one on principle. i'd rather pony up the extra cash and get a metolius rope ranger since its got similar features
Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,110

Nope, I got the open top rope 'bucket' with one shoulder sling, in orange. Not a closed rope MR rope bag.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply